COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Price

Hello

i really wouldnt mind spending money on this game but exactly how much money would i spend on buying this game. and i buy it then i die from old age. would i have to pay again for a new life?

8/3/2015 5:25:13 PM #1

Hopefully this answers some of your questions.  From the FAQ here.

• Q. What's the business model?
  • Chronicles of Elyria uses a unique business model that harkens back to the days of coin-op arcade machines. In short, when you buy the game you get a free life. Then, you play until your character dies the "Final Death" (perma-death). After that, you buy another life from the character creation screen and continue on.Before you get all upity about perma-death, please read the previous FAQ question titled: "Q. So, there's dying, and then there's DYING?"
  • Q. How much does the game cost? How much does a life cost?
  • No exact price has been set, but we anticipate it will be on par with the retail cost of other PC games. Lives will be roughly the cost of a game expansion.

Found my guide helpful? Show your love by adding my Friend Code:1996D8

8/3/2015 5:29:31 PM #2

thanks but how much are other pc games? and is a game expansion like no more than £10 or are these like £20

8/3/2015 5:37:15 PM #3

To be honest I haven't bought a game in so long I don't really know myself haha.  You're probably best off having a look around the internet to get an idea of what the going rate is.

8/3/2015 6:31:47 PM #4

The WoW expansion costed 50 bucks or something like that.

8/3/2015 6:34:27 PM #5

Lives definitely won't cost that much.

8/3/2015 9:47:55 PM #6

thank goodness. 50 would be suprising

8/4/2015 2:20:11 AM #7

And why not?

This is not a F2P game, this is a P2P game it just does not have monthly subscription system.

Said that, let's take into consideration monthly subscription systems.
You are paying an average of 14-15 USD per month for a sub on P2P games on the market.

So a LIFE, that allows you to play several months is in my opinion worth let's say.. 3 month's sub fee.

Of course there will be some extremists that will die several times a day and spend their lifespan in one month. But I do believe that for majority of players paying the above mentioned amount for a life is pure win.

And for the game / expansion prices?
I am ok with paying between $35 and $50 for the game as those are the regular game prices on the market.
Expansions tend to be just a little bit cheaper so anything between $30 and $45 is reasonable in my opinion.

Bear that in mind, that CoE with all its involving mechanics will probably encourage a focus on 1 max 2 characters per account, for a player to be able to experience the best immersion in game, and to live the life of your character to its best.

I do believe that if you intend to play CoE like other MMO's where it is common to create and then play 5+ characters in one month time, you should think about all of the character’s life that will pass by if you focus your available game time on playing other characters.

And should you play one character most of the time, just put those $10+ bucks every month in the piggy bank and you will have more than enough to satisfy the cost of purchasing a new LIFE in few months when your character is finally free of the burdens of this physical world.

It's dead, Jim.

8/4/2015 4:40:49 AM #8

Once again, Derry, you hit the nail on the head.

8/4/2015 12:00:46 PM #9

good idea derry during my first life. i'll save up for my second life. in total i want to live 5 lives

8/4/2015 4:10:34 PM #10

I second what Silv said. You have pretty much nailed it. It's great to see people understand what we're going for :).

-Miguel

\[T]/

8/9/2015 10:01:21 PM #11

however a £30 upfront cost for a life is pretty steep for many people, a monthly cost is spread over multiple months, yes it's like paying for 3 months subs but the upfront is harder to pay.

I say a £15 flat rate for lives is the way to go. 

8/9/2015 11:13:27 PM #12

Well, like i said in another post, depending on how often you actually can die in a "normal" game play (not suicidal but not staying home every day) should influence the price i thing... Which doesnt strike me as odd if the life ends up being the same as a monthly or tri-monthly sub :3

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p795/SilDarklight/Chronicles%20of%20Elyria/Forum/Sigs/Luccheno%20600x100altzpsuev3knqe.jpg

8/13/2015 11:45:40 AM #13

So you start with a free life, go about your 'life' either as a farmer or an adventurer. As an adventurer you (probably) die a few times but get resurrected (?) to continue your days until your 10 years is up. Then perma death (for that incarnation)/time to buy a new life/expansion pricing comment. As a farmer you just live (short of bad things happening) out your 10 years then die/buy new life/expac etc.

If that is farly accurate, I'll asssume there is a set time frame for the '10 years'? 10 years equals 3 months so every 3 months plan for $50 xpac price (or something like that)?

Curious.

8/13/2015 11:58:04 AM #14

When you buy the game you get a free life, an in-game year is 4 days and your character will live to between 80-120 years of age (depending on your play style among other factors) so you’re looking at around a 10-16 months of game play per life.  Then when your character reaches permadeath you then buy another life and off you go again.

In short, you’ll have to pay for a new life every year or so.

8/13/2015 12:04:18 PM #15

Though from what I was reading in the 'Death and whatnot' section too many 'adventure/mishap deaths' also results in a need for a new life?