COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
If Heirlooms Happen

The idea proposed for Heirlooms is fascinating. The idea of items held in a family for generations becoming more important really reflects human sentimentality, and the possibility of a curse falling on anyone outside the family in possession of particularly powerful heirlooms adds a fantasy zing to the whole concept that I personally feel really suits the nature of CoE.

What I wonder, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, is if an Heirloom of great importance which has somehow been lost triggering the Soulboundstudios Engine to send a player, or even an entire family, on an epic quest for it's retrieval. Or on the other end if someone acquires such an Heirloom from a different family, triggering a quest to hunt down and kill the whole family in order to lift the curse.

5/20/2016 12:06:15 PM #1

I would love to take a look to the SoulBound Engine's code. If it works as it's intended that will be pretty much the revolution every sandbox MMO that comes after CoE will be implementing.

The Heirloom as such doesn't interest me that much. Yeah it will add to the immersion, but you wont feel it's actual weight unless you get a heirloom from your mother and wife (sounds so bad X'D), meaning when you get into the body of your kid, or when you go into a new family and receive it. "Why?" you'd ask, because then it's not an item that comes from an ancestor. It comes from you. It's just an item you're taking with you from the beginning.

5/20/2016 12:56:14 PM #2

Yeah, but let's think of it in Star Wars terms. You become Anakin Skywalker... your lightsaber becomes an heirloom to Luke... which becomes an heirloom to, well... that might be a spoiler. Heirlooms are GREAT, even if you're the one to start them off.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

5/20/2016 2:41:22 PM #3

Same thing. If you start it and carry on its just like Anakin has lived 3 lives with the same saber. Its not a relic its just your same old saber xD

5/20/2016 3:56:22 PM #4

I think Heirlooms are a cool and interesting thing, not anything too new, if you look at the soulbound items mechanic of other games. This just takes it to a different level.

Now to the idea of Heirlooms having some effect by time, if it is stolen, I honestly do not really care too much. But the basis of an Heirloom and that they are easily identifiable, may add an extra spice to the game.

12/29/2017 11:12:13 PM #5

Truthfully, I like the idea. Imagine, being the first of your family's name to acquire some beautifully crafted set of armour, or sword. Would definitely add to the immersion of the game.

12/30/2017 12:23:55 AM #6

While overall I love the idea of Heirlooms in general, many think they can pass items down to help them in the future, sort of twinking. For those just remember with time comes refinements and improvements as well as degradation. Your great grandad's shiny armor may be rusty, weaker, heavier and probably horribly out of style by the time you get to use it. Now for those passing down just namesakes, such as a family shield or something that is recognizable on a person, it is a fantastic idea. However I have to think if the Heirloom is a Relic then that is something that will require a little more thought than I a prepared for tonight.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

12/30/2017 4:27:09 AM #7

I love your heirloom ideas! I will definitely be passing something of importance onto my child(ren).