COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
[Sticky] Pre-Alpha Advanced Traversal Mechanics Gameplay Video

Greetings friends,

The game team has been working on perfecting the advanced traversal mechanics lately. We are getting preeeeeetty close to being able to get the playable version of this into the hands of our Alpha 1 backers. Below is a sneak peak of some of that gameplay.

This is currently being developed in our Prelyria art style, which is a low-poly style that is a lot like greyboxing--if you're familiar with the term--only prettier. Because it's not just boxes and global lighting, it's allowing our art team to explore mood and ambiance, as well as experiment with lighting for organic, indoor spaces. Once we've tested the mechanics and are happy with them, the team can worry about amping it up to the full-fidelity Chronicles of Elyria art style. It's a "Measure Twice, Cut Once" kind of process!

This environment is part of a cave system that The Waerd have carved out and turned into a testing ground. You may have read about it recently!

Stay shiny!

Vye

3/11/2020 9:17:15 AM #121

Posted By Drudge at 9:31 PM - Tue Mar 10 2020

Posted By Avastar at 8:00 PM - Tue Mar 10 2020

i could see some forms of movement not being available when holding different weapons or wearing different equipment.

doing a combat roll with a rifle and mask carrier is one thing, but doing a combat roll with the addition of a 50lb rucksack.. no thx

We will always remember torch swimming

Meh, a combat roll with a 50lb rucksack is no biggie if you're in shape....I did smash my canteen though...

-The largest cause of war is selfishness. The hardest thing to achieve in life is mutual selflessness.

Friend Code CD4DE7

3/11/2020 12:41:48 PM #122

Can we please for the love of the Elyrian gods have a sideways flip for characters, forward flipping through a sideways wall slit makes zero sense.

If you go on Mixamo and go here:

https://www.mixamo.com/#/?page=1&query=jump&type=Motion%2CMotionPack

There is a ready made one, second animation from the top left.

3/11/2020 5:00:41 PM #123

So is this built upon the PAX demo? Or completely new?

3/11/2020 5:07:11 PM #124

New

3/11/2020 8:36:31 PM #125

Dear Caspian, Vye and Serpentius!

I personally don't consider this progress. We had something like that years ago.

Actually my only hope is that you have something else to show before the next State of Elyria.

Otherwise, it will be just ridiculous - in my opinion.

3/11/2020 10:04:08 PM #126

They rebuilt the PAX demo?

3/11/2020 10:18:34 PM #127

If you’re talking about something like the silvermine run then kinda? In their own coding, engine, assets and the low poly version of the game.

3/12/2020 1:50:06 AM #128

Posted By Brettoner at 3:04 PM - Wed Mar 11 2020

They rebuilt the PAX demo?

The silverrun demo was great, it taught us a lot of things, most of all that the design of our traversal system was solid and fun. Plus it taught us what we needed to know to make it work in our game, with our server. Casp covered that pretty well on another page so I won't get into it.

Posted By Stormbreaker at 05:41 AM - Wed Mar 11 2020

Can we please for the love of the Elyrian gods have a sideways flip for characters, forward flipping through a sideways wall slit makes zero sense.

If you go on Mixamo and go here:

https://www.mixamo.com/#/?page=1&query=jump&type=Motion%2CMotionPack

There is a ready made one, second animation from the top left.

We will be adding different traversal mechanics as we go, and we will totally keep your suggestion in mind, its a good one but for other scenarios, it would work really well for vaulting up onto a platform or over a fence. We did experiment with a motion very similar to that and ran into a few problems. 1) That motion is too tall for the gap and would clip into the geometry above. If we where to use that clip it would require more work than just doing it on our own or using our mocap system to record what we need.

2) The characters legs swing pretty far off to the side and would be outside of the capsule. Meaning a large part of your character could clip into something if you where to do that maneuver near something like a wall. We could do more probing, math and logic rules to figure out what is the reasonable thing to do and either dynamically restrict the character from entering into a situation like that, or set up more animations, states and rules to handle variant animations near the wall and tell the character which to play, but at that point we are implementing a tech heavy systems around animation that is probably better if we just change it to something like a dive roll that stays within the capsule and gets the job done, for now.

3) When we consulted with our parkour SME's they told us that a kong vault is a better way to go, it preserves momentum and is regarded as a better way to vault over a surface of that height, in the shortest amount of time with the least amount of energy. We will probably implement that as one of the first variants that we add, when we get to adding those. However a kong vault was too tall for the gap also so the dive roll was a bit more attractive.

4) Anytime a player places a hand on an object we have to pay special are to making sure that it doesn't slide off, slip around or clip through. When a player touches the world like that, it is very much like a person tripping a laser beam in a high security vault. Alarms go off and suddenly the cops are there making your life difficult, heh. So as a general rule if we can cut down on the amount of world interaction, we save some processing power. Putting a hand on the world is something we are entirely confident in doing, many of us have implemented those types of systems before in other games, but it does require a tech that we currently aren't using and we don't need just yet.

Just to be clear, we really like your suggestion and we will have something like that down the road, probably as a novice move for people just learning to traverse the world, but not right now while we're working on this limited set of traversal mechanics.

I hope that helps clear up some of the confusion! Keep those suggestions coming, we'll try to get as much as we can in before the game ships.

3/12/2020 1:56:56 AM #129

@Jormongandr: very tight explanations, much appreciated!! Thanks!

3/15/2020 6:34:20 AM #130

I've read through the thread and I agree with a lot of the concerns people have posted as I am also quite disappointed with this.

For a project in such an infantile stage I believe posting such lackluster content only damages it, I would've preferred you posted nothing compared to this. How is someone new to the project supposed to feel after reading so much information about these grand plans only to be met by a tech demo of a character climbing around? If anything, the old E3 video still holds up better than this.

3/19/2020 5:46:15 PM #131

I'm pretty disappointed with this. One unpaid intern could have done this in a week. A day if using pre-built UE4 assets.

With so many millions spent and so many years in development I'd really expect much better, even in a pre-alpha.

I personally would probably not have shared this video. Even ignoring the really low poly models & textures which I'm assuming are part of the low poly client (and standard affair in this stage of development), even the animations are really clunky, and the animation transitions.

I'd probably reserve demos like this for alpha backers, and put up real client more polished stuff for everyone else. Otherwise it'll just inevitably hurt the brand. Alpha backers do need to see stuff like this to provide feedback though. That is, alpha backers that actually understand their purpose in an alpha. And I'd label it like asset testing rather than showing off progress.

Okay let me go through this like I'm in an alpha trying to find stuff that could/should be improved:

I'll start with animations.

The walking, which we see up to 10 seconds into the video. It's just weird. Especially how the arms are held out in front of the character like they're carrying a package just wobbling side to side. The run itself is pretty flat footed and I'd say almost waddling.

The transition coming off from the ladder that we see at around 18 seconds is super janky and needs corrected.

The sliding, I'd probably add a few variations because it is it seems a bit odd, and pretty stiff.

The jumping animations are okay, but they're a bit too casual looking for what the character's doing. Almost like playing hopscotch or something rather than jumping from platforms. The back being stiff and largely uninvolved probably plays a huge part in this. The whole body should be involved. Like movement with the arms, a bent torso, and some full body movement looking like the body is actually vaulting rather than just a casual skip.

The handrail sliding thing was okay with the rope. Could probably look into variations of the animation with more momentum added that look more athletic.

I'd probably add a few different fall variations, because falling on your face every time could get a bit silly.

The jump at 1:24 seems a bit weird. I'd say almost sort of a side-jump animation? It needs some work as well, like the other standard jump animation.

The balancing bit seems a bit too stiff. I'd probably look at variations in that, especially with characters that have a stat for acrobatic stuff. So the ones with worse in it would be more shaky and wobbly but ones with more would be more solid and do it more easily to the point that it's like Altair in Assassin's Creed just running across a tight rope.

The jumping from the grid thing at 2:24 needs a bit of work. And the way the legs & stuff are behaving overall on the grid thing could also use a bit of looking at.

The weird slump after jumping to the land after the grid thing could use some improvement. Like, not doing that.

The mid air roll thing at 2:40-ish is real janky, and its transitions.

At 2:53 or so, jumping from one ceiling log thing to another, it is sooo janky. Then jumping to the platform after that, the animation/pose is just really ... in need of improvement.

The jump at 3:03 is just weird. Like someone skipping.

The weird jankiness on the log that follows up to around 3:09 also needs to be looked at.

Then jumping to the log which lands at 3:10 is just really really bad. You can also see more of the super jankiness on the log around 3:17 and around there. And really we have that terrible jump to another log after that again at like 3:22 which is almost like a t-pose in the jump.

The transitions leading up to 3:28 really need looked at.

The animations for the wall running/jumping at the end also need modified a bit to put a bit more weight & energy behind them.

I won't comment on the other stuff for now, but that should be a good start.

3/20/2020 2:24:56 PM #132

I personally find it concerning that we're in 2020 and we're once again shown another parkor thing. Where's the meat and potatoes of this MMO.

Where's the aging systems, the heir systems, the ... anything other than parkor systems? I didn't throw a bunch of money at this project because it was a tomb raider style game.

Here's hoping that in 2020 they start showing off the stuff that got people hooked and into the game. Here's hoping we start getting something playable and in our hands soon.

3/20/2020 5:55:10 PM #133

got to love the die-hard fans down voting everyone who has concerns.

This is by no means progress towards the game it is a demo. A demo is a independent module and not part of the game. So with a demo you only test the demo not the actual game itself.

Stay safe and healthy

I love jumping around in a Voxel assets

3/23/2020 6:20:48 PM #134

Posted By Tiffany at 10:46 AM - Thu Mar 19 2020

I'm pretty disappointed with this. One unpaid intern could have done this in a week. A day if using pre-built UE4 assets.

With so many millions spent and so many years in development I'd really expect much better, even in a pre-alpha.

I personally would probably not have shared this video. Even ignoring the really low poly models & textures which I'm assuming are part of the low poly client (and standard affair in this stage of development), even the animations are really clunky, and the animation transitions.

Yep, pre-alpha graphics which include pre-alpha animations. Most of the animations are a few quick poses, just enough to vet the animation systems and provide a hint of visual feedback as to what is happening. These are by no means final or polished and won't be shipping with the game. It's just a snapshot of where we're at in development.

Thanks for the write up, I made sure you're notes were on our list, a lot of them we already knew about, this helps reinforce that work when we get to that stage ;)

3/24/2020 9:13:02 AM #135

Posted By Jormongandr at 1:20 PM - Mon Mar 23 2020

Posted By Tiffany at 10:46 AM - Thu Mar 19 2020

Yep, pre-alpha graphics which include pre-alpha animations. Most of the animations are a few quick poses, just enough to vet the animation systems and provide a hint of visual feedback as to what is happening. These are by no means final or polished and won't be shipping with the game. It's just a snapshot of where we're at in development.

Thanks for the write up, I made sure you're notes were on our list, a lot of them we already knew about, this helps reinforce that work when we get to that stage ;)

Good stuff. I'm only Alpha 2 but when I can get in I'll write up as much stuff as I can in detail to try and help the dev team. I've done it for a number of games. So I've gotten pretty good at it. :)