COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Open-world PvP excites me!

Don't you think that having open-world pvp makes pve that much cooler?! Being able to be safe despite the open world pvp? Designing and managing a settlement that is a safe haven, despite the griefers that want to ruin our crafters' fun?

That sounds like a wonderful challenge and a very deep sense of accomplishment when achieved!

1/23/2020 3:41:11 PM #1

For sure. It's what makes Eve Online such a great game. The PVE activities fuel the PVP.

1/23/2020 4:11:25 PM #2

Everything is an adventure with Open-world PvP :)

1/23/2020 5:28:35 PM #3

Not according to New World...

rip

1/23/2020 8:03:52 PM #4

Im also excited for pvp. Im a scaredy cat though, and prefer the bounty hunters and investigators engage in taking care of evildoers. I prefer sanctioned combat such as warfare. Hopefully we have players up to the task of bounty hunting, or capable npcs in their absence

FC: 13AB08

1/23/2020 8:14:02 PM #5

I hope people will take the time to use bounty hunters and investigators. It most games when someone gets ganked they tell their circle and goes on about their business if nothing happens. I don't know if people would want to take the time to seek out and hire people to help them.

I could see them doing so if bandits are blocking off something or it's just consistent ganking but for random ambushes, I feel as though people would just let it go.

1/23/2020 9:15:51 PM #6

Posted By Deftly at 3:14 PM - Thu Jan 23 2020

I hope people will take the time to use bounty hunters and investigators. It most games when someone gets ganked they tell their circle and goes on about their business if nothing happens. I don't know if people would want to take the time to seek out and hire people to help them.

I could see them doing so if bandits are blocking off something or it's just consistent ganking but for random ambushes, I feel as though people would just let it go.

I think that is partially because in other survivals being ganked and looted isnt a really big deal because as long as you have your base you can recreate anything you lost within like 30m. With CoE requiring you to work with others to make goods and the closed resource system and economy losing an item becomes a bigger deal and youll want it back more than you usually would.

For example, if you had your horse stolen, you as, lets say, a travelling trader for example cant just walk into the forest and train another one real quick. You have to stop and buy one and if you don't your mobility and carrying potential is severely handicapped and your business relies on having a horse so youll probably be wanting that horse back.

There also may be more salt in CoE when your killed inspiring bounties out of spite because of the way the payment and spirit loss model works. While not alot, your virtually losing money whenever someone kills you.

I don't know anymore.

1/23/2020 10:23:48 PM #7

I will be giving reparations to victims and paying bounties to those that catch criminals, after the criminal gets convicted. I feel that there will be a need to incentivize the time and effort required to punish crime to ensure that crime is minimized.

1/24/2020 1:06:31 AM #8

Posted By Khazad at 10:41 AM - Thu Jan 23 2020

For sure. It's what makes Eve Online such a great game. The PVE activities fuel the PVP.

But as the CCP devs would tell you, creating and maintaining the right balance is a very big challenge indeed.

Let's just hope they are up to it.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

1/24/2020 1:18:30 AM #9

luckily for us CoE doesn't allow characters to have the ability to teleport, warp, or otherwise disappear from the game. murderhobos can't murderhobo then run and hide for a few minutes until they can disappear by logging out

1/24/2020 5:12:13 AM #10

Posted By Vucar at 12:28 PM - Thu Jan 23 2020

Not according to New World...

rip

New World thought their control designs would keep gankers in check however the alpha proved it's easier said than done.

So, they had a choice, double down on redesigning the controls, or go with the easier option in order to meet the target release date.

When one doesn't have the luxury of an indefinite delivery timeline tough choices often have to be made.

I suspect SBS will one day face similar choices not only in PVP design but many of their other more complicated systems.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

1/24/2020 6:15:23 AM #11

open world pvp is usually blah (eve is just tolerable) when a murderer can vanish into thin air by logging off. CoE's solution (characters never vanish into thin air) is likely to be the first great open world pvp game

1/24/2020 8:06:12 AM #12

I am for open pvp world with mechanics anti grifers, pkers

1/24/2020 1:01:15 PM #13

Posted By Avastar at 01:15 AM - Fri Jan 24 2020

open world pvp is usually blah (eve is just tolerable) when a murderer can vanish into thin air by logging off. CoE's solution (characters never vanish into thin air) is likely to be the first great open world pvp game

Most open world pvp survival games killers can't just vanish though. Keeping your body in game even when you log out is a common practice now.

1/24/2020 1:35:21 PM #14

The type of pvp CoE will have is what brought me in honestly.

Just the possibility of actually being able to build custom cities and domains that arent based on systems that for all intents and purposes prevent you from being able to defend yourself vs even small groups of players stealth in your town is an amazing prospect that you can have full fledged standing armies to deter such actions.

Most other games base open world pvp on single groups or at most groups of like 25/50/100. Seeing as most duchies will have 10k pops to work with it really does present interesting prospects based on tribe makeups for different RTS type structures and organization to keep things infinitely interesting.

To me I think that if we can set sonsiquences to be high enough within domains to deter the citizens in the domain to not commit crimes in the first place or to go in with a large enough group of allied players or guilds who have a focus and purpose and know what their roles are you will be in good shape.

If you can accomplish that then you will still need investigators for outside groups to provide evidence for surrounding rulers to act on if they are even diplomatic to you or your cause.

If there are rogue groups running around and you have an allied duchy on the lookout for deviant guilds that is one thing vs another duchy muscling in on your domain or just territory disputes. In which case the rulers work it out or armies will get involved with real consiquences and actions being taken and possible destruction or usrupation of seats being an outcome.

But certainly petty crime, organized crime, industrial scale espionage, or declarations of war will all rely on evidence gained through investigations which may or may not require a ton of people to fully put together what is happening in a domain or tracing it back to whomever is actually doing those actions to you to find out if it is foreign or domestic general deviancy or some other domain using aliases or focused tactics to weaken you before a war happens. Solving crimes and investigations will play a huge important role in that regard.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

1/24/2020 1:57:06 PM #15

Posted By Deftly at 06:01 AM - Fri Jan 24 2020

Most open world pvp survival games killers can't just vanish though. Keeping your body in game even when you log out is a common practice now.

True, some keep the body in game, but most, if not all?, allow the body to be effectively removed from the open pvp world within the game. Life and Dark allows one to hide behind invulnerable structures. New World Online has safe zones protected by game mechanics that disables pvp. Albion Online the character disappears when logging off and has save zones.

All have methods, whether it be logging off or some other invulnerable barrier, that allows a griefer to retreat to perfect safety, even if that means they empty their inventory into an invulnerable, or effectively so, storage container, such that even if they are killed there is zero risk of losing anything.