COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Extending the olive branch

I realize SBS and many backers hold a very low opinion of the gaming press and relations have been poor to date.

Thing is, these sites need stories about games in development and they generally will present a positive outlook for studios which work with them, or at least provide regular updates.

In the absence of such they tend to report on what news they can, or perhaps more importantly, can't find.

Assuming SBS get it together this year and can start showing real progress I feel it's a great time for Kain to reach out and work with these outlets to share the "good news" with others.

Now I realize in doing so it will open the studio /game to some criticism, much of it unfair of course.

At this point SBS (and its backers) should just ignore any trollish commentary and don't fall into the trap of responding with vehement denials or displaying tirades of anger. (See how MJ of CU handles such)

As one who dwells under the bridge I know well of what we feed on.

😈

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

1/14/2020 11:59:23 PM #1

I agree but disagree.

Now I realize in doing so it will open the studio /game to some criticism, much of it unfair of course.

At this point SBS (and its backers) should just ignore any trollish commentary and don't fall into the trap of responding with vehement denials or displaying tirades of anger. (See how MJ of CU handles such)

Here is where I disagree in part. I think that if sbs gets 2020 going correctly they should clean up the website and get their affairs in order before reaching out to actively search for coverage on a random site that talks about these kinds of things.

Thing is, these sites like to inflame things to get readers. They are verbal click bait. And if SbS wants to do what you are suggesting they should be in a position where the nonsense they report is at least in the favor of the future of CoE

My humble opinion and all that.

1/15/2020 12:59:21 AM #2

Good idea and definitely need to get some positive non-delayed accomplishments under the belt so anyone bringing up past failures can be shown how things have improved. Need the past to be in the past and not the present.

1/15/2020 2:12:58 AM #3

Press generates itself if the company can go note than a week without shouting themselves in the foot. Between the delays and the absolutely draconian ways they interact with the community they need to do a complete 180 or it’s going to start blowing back much worse as more outlets get word of the mismanagement. They really could turn it around, but it’s gonna take more than just getting stuff produced

1/15/2020 2:43:01 AM #4

Didn’t Caspian say he was going to funnel all the new stuff to places like PCGamer? I subscribe but haven’t seen anything.

1/15/2020 3:23:35 AM #5

Posted By Drudge at 9:43 PM - Tue Jan 14 2020

Didn’t Caspian say he was going to funnel all the new stuff to places like PCGamer? I subscribe but haven’t seen anything.

My guess is nothing was shared with them recently, still looking for a storm probably.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

1/15/2020 4:30:54 AM #6

Labbe said it rightly and, as usual, politely. and I'm of the same mind. Though my initial reaction was .. why the fuck would SBS pander to the likes of ... We know they're clickbait circle jerks. Even our own CoE 'fan' subreddts (all 3-4 or them) have a higher number of better informed detractors, even with the overlap. Goodness. massively and mmorpg aren't worth the bits they're printed on.

1/15/2020 4:55:28 AM #7

Posted By Sylvae at 11:30 PM - Tue Jan 14 2020

Labbe said it rightly and, as usual, politely. and I'm of the same mind. Though my initial reaction was .. why the fuck would SBS pander to the likes of ... We know they're clickbait circle jerks. Even our own CoE 'fan' subreddts (all 3-4 or them) have a higher number of better informed detractors, even with the overlap. Goodness. massively and mmorpg aren't worth the bits they're printed on.

Yeah, clearly my OP went right over the head of the misinformed...but OK.

You've been living in a bunker for so long you are seeing enemies where there are none.

What's really a laugh is I often slag on both sites for being too soft on dev houses, never really taking them to task or calling them out with the hard questions.

Guess they can't win for losing.

1/15/2020 5:30:22 AM #8

Oops, I posted my reply to another thread here. Too many tabs open :P

1/15/2020 11:48:26 AM #9

Anyone who thinks it’s unfair that these outlets rip SBS a new one really are being fanboys. SBS has done literally nothing to get a free pass this far, if these outlets praised them they would be patently dishonest

1/15/2020 2:40:44 PM #10

Trusting any of these "outlets" to not pick what ever option generates the most clicks and reactions is naive. This isn't to say they're malicious, it's to say they're totally indifferent.

This idea could just as easily backfire, and in my opinion [at this point of CoEs development] it's far more likely to be weaponized against them.

The support #'s such as active users, money coming in, advocates for the game etc is not really a core concern at this stage. Their funding is good and their support is friggen resilient. It also logically follows that displaying more of their ground breaking game would generate more #'s. So while I understand the thought and good intention behind this post, the major point we should be leaving this conversation with is the ball is in SBS' court. You've done heaps for them. We've done heaps. Now it's out of our hands (for now).

"If we wait until we are ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives..." code: CD83B4