COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
What other upcoming MMOs are worth waiting for?

It seems not much interesting will happen in 2019-2020.

Lost Ark - played for two weeks and already got bored.

Ashes of Creation - looks like a scam. I had such hopes for it! :(

Crowfall looks fresh and interesting.

Still paying attention to The Repopulation despite bad graphics and change of developer. The game looked promising years ago, it's crafting system was most complex I had ever seen.

Is there anything else coming?

11/19/2019 9:00:10 PM #1

AoC had my attention for a while, until I joined a gaming group that's waiting for it and discovered the previous leader of the most RMT-heavy guild on my old Archeage server is the creative director of the game. I find it hard to trust that someone who would spend tens of thousands of dollars to get ahead in an MMO will create a game that doesn't allow shortcutting via RMT in some fashion or another. I may wind up making an account for it anyway to see what the play experience is like (call me masochistic, I did the same thing in Bless Online/AA:U despite knowing better), but I expect it's going to go the same way everything before it has.

I've been regularly looking through what we have coming out over the last year or so, and it's a pretty bleak outlook. Nobody's really doing anything innovative, or even interesting. The consistent lack of evolution in this genre's getting depressing. I honestly think that even if CoE flops somehow, it's still going to have a pretty big playerbase simply because it's different.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

11/19/2019 10:03:24 PM #2

I recommend looking into Star Citizen. The IRL technologies that they are developing for it are breakthroughs!

• Face Over IP (FOIP)
  • Walking next to a rock and the avatar naturally places a foot on the rock
  • An entire solar system that is persistent at IRL scales. Drop a tool on the far side of a IRL size planet. Come back in a IRL month, and it will still be there.
  • Quest engine that creates multi-faceted conflicts; player vs npcs vs player. With only one side able to complete the quest.

11/20/2019 12:35:13 AM #3

There are quite a few "in the works", but all are years out.

A couple others that weren't listed:

• Pantheon
  • Camelot Unchained
  • Amazon's MMO (I forget the name)

Imgur

11/20/2019 12:58:51 AM #4

I like these games,

• Pillars of Eternity
  • Witcher 3
  • Outerworlds
  • Star Citizen(only MMO on the list and original backer)
  • Homeworld Remastered

Looking forward to:

• Cyberpunk 2077
  • Beyond Good and Evil 2

11/20/2019 3:08:53 AM #5

Posted By Avastar at 5:03 PM - Tue Nov 19 2019

I recommend looking into Star Citizen. The IRL technologies that they are developing for it are breakthroughs!

• Face Over IP (FOIP)
  • Walking next to a rock and the avatar naturally places a foot on the rock
  • An entire solar system that is persistent at IRL scales. Drop a tool on the far side of a IRL size planet. Come back in a IRL month, and it will still be there.
  • Quest engine that creates multi-faceted conflicts; player vs npcs vs player. With only one side able to complete the quest.

Very unlikely to launch in 2019-2020, maybe the single player Squadron 42 as a long shot, but the MMO, not before 2022 or beyond.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

11/20/2019 2:18:43 PM #6

Posted By Marovec at 12:35 AM - Wed Nov 20 2019

• Pantheon
  • Camelot Unchained

Amazon's MMO is New World - I did play it during Alpha - and it's pretty good!

11/20/2019 2:25:26 PM #7

Posted By Rellik at 4:18 PM - Wed Nov 20 2019

Yes, I liked it too. Not an actual MMO thought, more like a MMO Survaval game. Bad that there are rumors that they had stopped it's development.

11/20/2019 3:04:05 PM #8

I remember hearing a while back that someone was potentially working on a new LotR MMO...not sure if that was real though.

Would love that.

Imgur

11/20/2019 4:13:33 PM #9

The only thing I know about in 2020 which I'm going to get for sure is the next wow expansion. I'm kind of over wow but it has been a safe bet for me. I know at least 3 people will play it and I will get a good 3 months out of it.

I was excited for ashes of creation but my friends and I looked into the CEO and he made a lot of his money from this shady company. On top of that he has no gaming industry experience at all. He's just a saleman (previous job)with money that wanted to make a mmo. I was on the same server with him when I played AA and his guild had some of the top gear scores on the server. You cannot do that without paying hard. I knew people from my guild that were P2W and they still way under top gear scores. Just the combination of these things worry me. It's possible the game could be good.

11/20/2019 6:56:28 PM #10

Posted By Sarmat at 12:25 AM - Thu Nov 21 2019

Yes, I liked it too. Not an actual MMO thought, more like a MMO Survaval game. Bad that there are rumors that they had stopped it's development.

MMO survival is still an MMO. Hell, New World may be the only MMO - finished or otherwise - besides CoE that actually deserves the genre title of "MMO survival game".

Has Amazon posted a timeline/ETA? I remember seeing a blurb about it and thinking it would be worth a look closer to release.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

11/20/2019 8:02:07 PM #11

Posted By Rellik at 09:18 AM - Wed Nov 20 2019

Posted By Marovec at 12:35 AM - Wed Nov 20 2019

• Pantheon
  • Camelot Unchained

Pantheon's development / completion is now in question with the sad news yesterday of Brad's passing.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

11/20/2019 8:53:04 PM #12

Posted By Wolfguarde at 6:56 PM - Wed Nov 20 2019

MMO survival is still an MMO. Hell, New World may be the only MMO - finished or otherwise - besides CoE that actually deserves the genre title of "MMO survival game".

Has Amazon posted a timeline/ETA? I remember seeing a blurb about it and thinking it would be worth a look closer to release.

It's gone very quiet - but alpha was pretty complete fun game to play tbf

11/20/2019 9:25:29 PM #13

Posted By Rellik at 3:53 PM - Wed Nov 20 2019

Posted By Wolfguarde at 6:56 PM - Wed Nov 20 2019

It's gone very quiet - but alpha was pretty complete fun game to play tbf

The game was really one sided at higher lvls.

11/20/2019 10:30:34 PM #14

If You like Space-MMOs and building and creating Your own buildings and spaceships, mining, trade and production, check out Dual Universe.

Life is too short to play bad games.

11/20/2019 10:34:33 PM #15

Posted By Costanius at 5:30 PM - Wed Nov 20 2019

If You like Space-MMOs and building and creating Your own buildings and spaceships, mining, trade and production, check out Dual Universe.

How far are they along? I remember checking them out a year or two ago.