COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Epic or Steam?

heh, i have been thinking fo this: since epic is so up and coming and (i think i remember) SBS planning to also release COE on steam, should they switch to epic?

why should, or why shouldnt they? im very interested in hearing the opinion of the community :D

11/8/2019 4:09:33 PM #1

Posted By Athorias at

heh, i have been thinking fo this: since epic is so up and coming and (i think i remember) SBS planning to also release COE on steam, should they switch to epic?

why should, or why shouldnt they? im very interested in hearing the opinion of the community :D

Nope, dont touch EPIC with a 40 foot taser. Its partially owned by Tencent, a chinese company which is using its monetary pull in the games industry to push censorship on citizens both domestic and foreign. Give tyranny no support where possible.

Count of Raberre's Rest

11/8/2019 4:22:14 PM #2

not to mention i'm willing to bet most people are still more likely to want to add to their steam library than start a new library on Epic.

11/8/2019 7:52:28 PM #3

Or just a laucher independent release

11/8/2019 8:06:01 PM #4

why choose between epic or steam and not just have their own launcher? both epic and steam will take a cut anyway. But if sbs does plan to have game available on other launchers, then again why not have on both instead of choosing one?

11/8/2019 9:48:13 PM #5

As a player, I really don't care. I'm going to play it regardless.

As a business, I would say I want to launch on steam to see if I could get epic to fork over some money. Everyone seems to be up in arms over Epic. If Epic doesn't give me extra money I would continue with steam, so it would be a win win.

11/8/2019 9:59:17 PM #6

Way too early for this conversation unless they are considering the Steam EA route which I don't see happening.

In the 3 to 5 years until release the game platform and distribution landscape is likely to change dramatically.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

11/9/2019 1:49:05 AM #7

Caspian said in an interview 2-3 yrs ago that they we're planning on using Steam because they take 30% off the top, and Epic didn't exist back then. They were planning their own launcher.

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

11/10/2019 4:45:56 PM #8

I look forward to seeing what the Steam achievements are going to be...
-Travel to another kingdom.
-Kill a daemon.
-Get legendary in a craft/skill (this one would have very few people achieving, so would very much like to see it on there).

11/10/2019 7:16:19 PM #9

Standalone Launcher - OK

Steam - Good

Epic - No-Go

I've still not touched Borderlands 3 because I don't want to get involved with the epic launcher.

Imgur

11/10/2019 7:26:52 PM #10

Steam or their own launcher

11/12/2019 12:51:08 AM #11

I don’t touch anything on epic, so hopefully Steam, GoG, or their own launcher.

11/12/2019 9:25:44 AM #12

why not use steam? why does everyone need their own launcher. I don't want 100 diffrent launchers. I want ONE!

carnead Die Entdecker und Verteidiger Avagasts suchen DICH! Egal welcher Berufsstand in unserer Stadt ist für jeden platz! [Geselle dich zu uns!] https://discord.gg/Sc6TyGR

11/12/2019 12:56:50 PM #13

Steam would be great. Having their own launcher would be alright too. Epic would be a No-Go at this station.

"Life...is strength. This is not to be contested; it seems logical enough. You live; you affect your world." - Jon Irenicus

11/12/2019 8:38:18 PM #14

If I were to be brief I'd say my problem with Epic is that Epic's exclusivity campaign was premature, is hypocritical, and opens up the game market for the same type of "competition" that happened in the movie streaming market where the consumers ended up with the short end of the stick. But I always feel the short and sweet answers don't describe the problem strongly enough... So sit back and "enjoy" my rant I guess, lol.

Did streaming movies become more convenient and consumer friendly when Netflix got competition? Subscription fees went up, and the individual streaming sites started pursuing exclusivity deals, creating monopolies on individual products. I dunno, but statistics that shows that people went full circle over the last two decades shouldn't really be surprising, e.g. people went from pirating movies, to subscribing to Netflix, to then pirating movies again. Similarly Steam was essentially a working solution against rampant piracy in the gaming market as well. A 30% cut is nothing if it secures the market for your products in the future. I can understand the complaints from Indie developers who only plan to release one title and then retire, but AAA studio's getting on the train disgust me to no end, because they are sacrificing both reputation and the future market for short term benefits.

Currently Steam and GoG are the primary innovators in the computer gaming market, Steam might be taking a 30% cut, but they are continuously developing their platform. Like the recent feature that allows you to enjoy local co-op and split-screen games with your online friends, it has given many affected titles a renewed life. Epic is in the stone age in comparison, they didn't even bother to catch up even a little before they tried to force themselves onto the market. Hence why their campaign is premature.

Epic's solution to Steam's benign "monopoly" is by enforcing a true monopoly on individual products. They are arguing about the lack of choice while trying to solve it by taking away peoples choice. This is a hypocrite form for business. The reasons you want to avoid monopolies in the first place is due to the risk of stagnating innovation and high prices for low quality, pitfalls that Steam haven't fallen into. Steam also never were a true monopoly, they simply have the highest market share because they are offering the gold standard. And in a digital market you always have piracy as a competitor too.

Yeah sure, people where pissed back in the day when retail products required you to begin using Steam, but that wasn't Steam forcing their product, it was publishers and developers choosing Steam as their games form for DRM as Steam was decent for that purpose without being as intrusive on consumers as many of the alternatives. And as history proved many consumers eventually found buying games on Steam to be easier than piracy. This process was essentially natural selection, not dirty bribes.

Which brings me to my final issue with Epic: they consistently downplay the importance of the consumers, having made several statements that the developers are the sole key to success and eluding to the average gamer being a sheep. Maybe that would be true in any other market, but here's the thing: as crazy as it might sound, people actually care about their escapism more than they care about their reality. The average gamer is more invested in the gaming market than the average person is invested in politics. This is how EA earned the golden poop so many years in a row, despite competing with companies that are guilty of ecocide and worse. Epic should have ensured that they had something better to offer the consumers as well, that they argue against this shows how out of touch with the market they are.

Personally I was never bothered by buying certain games on other platforms outside of Steam before and I occasionally did, but because of all the above reasons I will not support Epic and will not favorably be touching their store willingly until at least their "Epic Early Access Program" is done and over with.

11/13/2019 7:19:16 AM #15

I hope they choose both. The more eyes on it the better.