COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Talents-Should there be Weaker talents?

From what I understand, Talents should be... somewhat more of a side grade than just a "You get +50 stats" thing. (Luckily, that seems to be the plan already)

That said, I also think that there should be "Lesser" talents too

stuff that is objectively not on the level of "Cast all Magic" or "Be a Super-lich" like "Can cast weaker magic" or "Enchant minor items" or even more minor things, like having a talent for blacksmithing or having a green thumb.

and these "Lesser" Talents would, as a result, be more common than the bigger "Story" Talents.

not universal by any means, but as I understand it if "Story" Talents are 1-5% of the population then a following 10-15% would have these "lesser" talents.

would this make sense to you? I have not been following around this too much so I don't know if someone has already suggested it and there are reasons for it not happening or it is already planned to work somewhat like I was suggesting it.

I just like the idea of being a blacksmith competing with a different blacksmith and needing to get creative and work extra hard to overcome his talent, or gaining a talent for blacksmithing by making an amazing Artifact of the ages. Or getting lost in the forest and being blessed to grow crops a little faster.

Please, tell me what you think.

10/31/2019 12:46:14 AM #1

Crafting, goods, and services are just important as combat so I'm sure there will be some talents that are not combat focused. I rather not have talents that are common though. I want talents to be something special, rather not see magic common in the world even if it's lesser talents.

10/31/2019 1:04:06 AM #2

I don't know how magical the world is so far.

But would "non-magical talents" be something that you would be more willing to consider?

And remembering the difficulty finding the talents in the first place, even the lesser talents should be really rare.

I thought that expanding the idea of "people having an inate, special advantage" is an interesting one, and making talents that are substantially "weaker" than a normal one, but marginally more common, seems to be a fun discovery while only emphasizing the power of the "True" talents.

You have five wizards for each 'Kingdom' worth of people, who cast "ritual" magic over time, to contrast against the one Mage for the same amount, who casts more powerful magic with only verbal commands and simple gestures.

Any more common stuff would be skills that onky marginally effect the way you play, even if you find them. And some of them whould be better that others- one might raise a blacksmithing skill just a little higher than otherwise possible, one might let you take less penalties for skipping rest and another might allow you to survive a day or an hour more without food before you die.

Stuff that makes the PC's special and have advantages over each other, but not as much as being one of the few with magic and much easier to overcome by a player who doesn't have any talent if still requiring hard work.

10/31/2019 4:34:05 AM #3

I think that would be reflected in player skill and tribe. There will be tribes that are marginally better at some things and as a player you could just be better the skill check and be able to craft a tiny bit better because of it. In terms of games in general what you are proposing can work well but I just wouldn't want it in CoE will talents being rare. I know you are saying these could be rare but will more talents out there, we would just see more of them in general.

11/22/2019 4:28:57 AM #4

Personally I wish things like Talents were bloodline driven rather than just some random thing that comes and goes where you would have to find people with the same talent to keep passing on the pure version of the talent or it fades over a few generations while introducing new talents into the gene pool.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.