COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Cannibals greatest enemy

With cannibalism confirmed, there are numerous details and questions coursing through the community. The main thing I wonder about it which includes another confirmed mechanic is illnesses and diseases.

Having survived and confirmed the Searing Plague, how likely would it be to pass on sideeffects from a corpse that died due to sickness being cannibalized is one of my questions.

Worst case TSP will start all over again quicker than anyone could anticipate because of some careless cannibals.

Another one which is also an issue for non-cannibals out at sea would be scurvy. Is it planned to be part of CoE and not just be the dread of sailors but also cannibals?

Depending on what the mechanics will include, anti-cannibalism methods aside from cremating could be the embalming of corpses with lethal substances.

This all results in players thinking about cannibalism to gain longevity having to reconsider the pros and cons aside from reputation and affinity.

Shroud to The Covenant of the Veil

10/21/2019 11:16:32 AM #1

Great questions!

While I don't know about the scurvy or how nutrition will work, other than diminishing returns, we do have some info on corpses.

If you are near rotting corpses there's definitely a chance of contracting a disease. Especially so if that corpse had a sickness when they died, TSP included!

But while it's not 100% confirmed I thought that regular cannibalism only darkens your soul, not extends your life. Unless of course that leads to the development a talent that does. Now cannibalism in the sense of the confirmed Litches and vampires, definitely yeah, though who knows if they eat the person or just suck their soul.

Now I need to know if we can embalm bodies or if food has nutrition.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14112/naeast-vornair-v%C3%B6lsung-county

10/21/2019 11:30:38 AM #2

I think this would be a great addition to the game and would love to see it, even for non-cannibalistic consumption of meat.

if cooked properly so that the entirety of the meat reaches temperatures of 70C to 80C (153F to 176F), it should kill the vast majority of pathogenic organisms; however, there is always the change that a new strain of thermally resistant <whatever> evolves and could cause havoc.

There are certain bacterial and fungal species which require a combination of extreme pressure, temperature and time to neutralize, such as 100C (212F) @ 200MPa (~2000 Atmospheres) for up to 2 hours (roughly speaking).

Not all of these are pathogenic to humans, but Elyria is not Earth and there is no reason why they couldn't be pathogenic :)

This could also provide the means for some generally species specific illnesses to enter the general Elyrian population producing formerly unseen illnesses in the community

10/21/2019 12:12:09 PM #3

Even non-cannibalism like if you eat infected monkey with Hep you get it even though cooking it if you eat it, same with deer. If you play with a dead rat that had plague you're going to pass that crap on lol

10/21/2019 12:13:03 PM #4

Ohhh dam while this is all very interesting ,it opens a ton off new ways to "troll"/terorize setlements even if you are not capable to invade the litle vilage that you and the guys wanted to loot and plunder what if you would be able to drop a rotting body to the vilage well in hope it does any efect .... or in a big siege if the city has rations for several weeks a maniac alchemist would be able to create litle flask full of contagius disses. The bare minimum of somekind of hygen system could spice up the game even further.

10/21/2019 5:49:04 PM #5

Yes! If we have cannibalism we should have kuru.

I also hope we have recipes for herbalists or alchemists that can make our blood or flesh poisonous. That sounds exactly like something a Kypiq would do. Maybe they could even put them in saltlicks for game to discourage hunting.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

10/21/2019 5:55:34 PM #6

Cremation and grind the bones.

NA-E Luna Locked --------------------------------------------------

10/21/2019 10:31:37 PM #7

Dras

10/21/2019 11:51:28 PM #8

In reading through this thread I can't help but think most are expecting far too much complexity for such a minor subsystem.

Even if it is possible, it's just not practical nor very appealing to the greater gaming audience.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

10/22/2019 12:39:12 AM #9

Posted By HajimeSaikou at 1:30 PM - Mon Oct 21 2019

I think this would be a great addition to the game and would love to see it, even for non-cannibalistic consumption of meat.

if cooked properly so that the entirety of the meat reaches temperatures of 70C to 80C (153F to 176F), it should kill the vast majority of pathogenic organisms; however, there is always the change that a new strain of thermally resistant <whatever> evolves and could cause havoc.

There are certain bacterial and fungal species which require a combination of extreme pressure, temperature and time to neutralize, such as 100C (212F) @ 200MPa (~2000 Atmospheres) for up to 2 hours (roughly speaking).

Not all of these are pathogenic to humans, but Elyria is not Earth and there is no reason why they couldn't be pathogenic :)

This could also provide the means for some generally species specific illnesses to enter the general Elyrian population producing formerly unseen illnesses in the community

Dont some organisms also create toxins that don't easily neutralize? (For example botulism IIRC?)

Like even if you kill the bacteria, the toxin is already there, and has contaminated the food.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

10/22/2019 8:38:57 AM #10

Posted By zimmah at 08:39 AM - Tue Oct 22 2019

Dont some organisms also create toxins that don't easily neutralize? (For example botulism IIRC?)

Like even if you kill the bacteria, the toxin is already there, and has contaminated the food.

Yes indeed and furthermore, actively killing some toxin producing organisms can result in a mass release of toxin from stores etc.

This is why the vast majority of self-limiting gastrointestinal infections such as some kinds of food poisonings are best left untreated to resolve themselves with purely supportive intervention.

At the very least the pathogen should be identified before even considering treatment because if empirical treatment is commenced without knowing which pathogen is the cause the resulting toxin release may significantly worsen the outcome such as at best kidney failure or even become life threatening.

An example of this is the toxin producing bacteria known as shiga toxin-producing escherichia coli which is actually ingested from contaminated meat; however, just like James T. Kirk and the Kobayashi Maru, there is not always a win or lose scenario. Sometimes you have to pick the least worst outcome which may result in serious morbidity such as kidney failure for a patient because the other option is death.

So it is entirely plausible in Elyria it could be that eating the raw contaminated meat gave you some really bad food poisoning with or without chronic sickness afterwards; however, if you cook the meat, the bacteria release a thermally stable toxin en masse effectively making the meal a death sentence

Sound like a great medieval tactic in biological warfare, to set up shop as a butcher or meat merchant and poison the populace :)

10/22/2019 4:01:43 PM #11

Posted By zimmah at 5:39 PM - Mon Oct 21 2019

Yep -- and even worse, the disease associated with Cannibalism (kuru) is like mad cow disease -- caused by prions not toxins.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands