COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Assasins dagger

Does assasin dagger cause permanent death or just incapacitate them?

10/15/2019 1:14:12 PM #1

I answered this question in Discord for you last week, where I explained that you shouldn't expect things like player actions to ever be permadeath in CoE, only spirit loss (CDG). Guaranteed permadeath is mainly only caused by environmental deaths like drowning at deep sea or falling into lava (essentially things that destroys your body or prevents it from otherwise being recovered). Of course, spirit loss can lead to permadeath, but majority of 'deaths' doesn't result in it by themselves.

I understand you're not satisfied with this response, and are hoping for a direct reply or a quote from the developer, which is fair. I previously erroneously stated there had been no official statement on the dagger itself as searching for it directly on discord and the forums unfortunately doesn't yield any results. However, using my new refined search methods I was able to do a deep dive that allowed me to recover this information for you:

Assassin Dagger Details

Here Caspian clarifies that the Waerdic poison is a CDG poison, which confirms that the poison 'only' leads to a Coup De Grace (spirit loss), at least as long as you aren't Dras or Janoa.

Note: the game have three types of 'death': incapacitation (knocked out without loss of spirit), CDG (Coups de Grâce) also known as Grievous Wounds or Spirit Walking (which give loss of spirit), and Permadeath (when all your spirit is lost). See this Design Journal for more information.

10/15/2019 6:55:52 PM #2

Yes