COMMUNITY - FORUMS - ANGELICA GENERAL
My question on the community on this server...

Is this going to turn into World of Warcraft, where the community is largely absent minded and oblivious to their surroundings when interacting with others?

If someone calls to you for help because they are beset on by a group of bandits, will you watch idly by, or will you answer the call to arms?

I'm intrigued by the interaction of others, and their reactions to what goes on around them. Time and time again I see people out only for their own gain. Someone about to die and you're a healer? Oh well, that's unfortunate for them. Passing a corpse and that spirit is currently running back, but you have a resurrect? Oh well, that's unfortunate.

What kind of community will this be? I assume that rather, it will be a mixture of several mindsets. I'm sure some will help others, and some will only look out for themselves.

9/25/2019 5:14:23 PM #1

There will be more interaction because interaction is tied to progression for a lot of people. Merchants needs to interaction to spread their name around, guards need to fight bandits to improve their skill, and people are a resources. Also, you won't have alts that can cover all of your crafts, you can't do everything yourself.

A big thing with WoW is also all communication is done via UI. If I need a potion from an alchemist, I don't go to a person I go to the AH. CoE will not have a system like that. Someone could set up a physical auction house but for that happen and run smoothly there needs to be a lot of interaction.

I think the worse that can happen in CoE are cliques forming. Trusting outsiders takes time in games like this, especially with spies, enemies kingdoms, bandits, trolls, and being able to lose your stuff. But like you said, it's going to be a mix since CoE will attract a lot of different people.

9/25/2019 5:19:31 PM #2

It’s not cut and dried as not every character is created equal.

In a typical MMO every class has some offensive and defensive capabilities. The strength of those abilities varies between classes but all classes can fight. In general all classes are on the same side Player V AI.

In CoE I may be a diplomat who cannot fight and doesn’t even own a sword. If I saw you beset by bandits I’d simply walk by hoping not to get noticed. If I was a player playing a deviant I may jump in and help the bandits.

If your actually asking about interaction all players will have to interact with others to accomplish anything. So the answer there depends on how many it takes. Preexisting communities will likely work only within their members and will ignore all others unless intervention helps their collective goals.

9/25/2019 5:32:24 PM #3

Posted By Grimwulfe at

Is this going to turn into World of Warcraft, where the community is largely absent minded and oblivious to their surroundings when interacting with others?

If someone calls to you for help because they are beset on by a group of bandits, will you watch idly by, or will you answer the call to arms?

I'm intrigued by the interaction of others, and their reactions to what goes on around them. Time and time again I see people out only for their own gain. Someone about to die and you're a healer? Oh well, that's unfortunate for them. Passing a corpse and that spirit is currently running back, but you have a resurrect? Oh well, that's unfortunate.

What kind of community will this be? I assume that rather, it will be a mixture of several mindsets. I'm sure some will help others, and some will only look out for themselves.

I think that the system encourages intervention -- and does so without the blinking "quest giver" mechanic. The story engine is very subtle. PCs will want to advance their story -- and won't know what will. That will mean that we will have to pay attention to events in the world and intervene -- or essentially lose out on their story opportunities.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

9/25/2019 7:48:53 PM #4

Posted By Grimwulfe at

It depends a lot on how communication will end up working in CoE. In modern MMOs I've played, comms are tucked away in various chat boxes making the world seem largely sterile and non-interactive. So if you don't have the right chat window open or you're not paying attention to it or it's been flooded with other notifications, you probably won't even realize they're calling for help, assuming they can even type out a help message in the first place if they're fighting for their lives.

The other problem is that MMOs have pretty much conditioned people to not come to the aid of random players. If you chance upon someone who is fighting mobs, the standard assumption is that they're grinding for XP and so "helping" such players by killing their spawns would be viewed as "kill stealing" and a hostile, unwelcome act. In CoE, the line between PC and NPC is deliberately blurred so that adds to the confusion.

Ultimately, if CoE cannot facilitate better, more natural communication between players (text bubbles? on screen dialog? status indicators?), I think the trend will continue as you've noted.

9/25/2019 8:00:47 PM #5

my take is it will shake out based on communities and that has been random maybe. Some groups are really coordinated, some aren't.

I expect and plan for refugees. the idea is to interview them oh no then rent them land to do whatever they want with just obey the laws.

6D242B

9/25/2019 8:01:58 PM #6

I expect and plan for refugees. the idea is to interview them oh no then rent them land to do whatever they want with just obey the laws.

6D242B

9/25/2019 8:07:13 PM #7

whut

6D242B

9/25/2019 8:10:42 PM #8

If I know the person then sure I would run to help. If I dont know them yet somehow I am hearing about some attack? I dont know, I might help out depending upon how it felt or I might consider it a Trap.

9/25/2019 8:11:05 PM #9

As to your example scenario with the bandits, I think that's going to have very little to do with CoE, and almost everything to do with the person behind the keyboard.

While the game may be designed for a more immersed/engaged playerbase, ultimately that same WoW player that just walked past you getting ganked in Thousand Needles will also just walk past you getting ganked in Ashland.

9/25/2019 8:12:49 PM #10

what we are going to do on our river is develop the natural communication between the families in this area. Eyes on the river. if there is a problem with invaders or any other problem this will be an integrated community talking about it over dinner.

6D242B

9/25/2019 8:16:12 PM #11

you do see the devs are making this game all about your ability to deal with their AI? That is the npcs first off.

First thing as a mayor, go talk to those AI npcs. This is the core of the game. You have to talk to the npcs.

good luck people who just chose a cute town with 200 nps in it.

they will start killing each other if they get hungry. That is in the tos.

6D242B

9/25/2019 8:24:01 PM #12

you know what. I think we need to keep some of you guys out of our towns.

you better watch out.

hi, flookit person who says say no more. bye.

6D242B

9/26/2019 11:24:16 AM #13

As someone who intends to be a shaman, I will heal those in need if I am not in direct danger and I don't have to travel for too long to meet with them. I don't intend to be a combative individual. This game is all about community and at least with my family, we will be working with people. We're already heavily involved in the community we will be settling in and making friends with people there. It's about player mindset and character personality. Not everyone will be like us, but hopefully this will give you faith in your fellow mann

Kingdom: Blackheart | Duchy: Drakeolm | County: Hammerbull Dominion | Family: Stormrage | Role: Shaman

9/26/2019 11:50:16 AM #14

The main factor in a situation like that in most other MMO's and a MEOW like CoE is that in other MMO's there is little to gain from interfering. In CoE, if the local farmers get targeted you can risk that your home region end up lacking in food supplies. In the best case this results in food prices going up and in the worst case people might starve to death. In other words, the incentive for interfering is that criminal acts against those around you may affect you indirectly in the end.

9/28/2019 10:24:28 AM #15

I think we will have the usual suspects (knuckleheads, idiots, and trolls oh my); I'm really hoping that many people take it seriously to the extent that immersion can happen for most. I know (personally) that I will help travelers beset by bandits or other players if they are getting smashed. Seeing as we may be like-minded, I would like to invite you to check out our organization, Opus Mann. Our forum post is at: Opus Mann

Coriolanus Drusus