COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN MEDIA
[Show Us Your Domain] Wolves' Reach

Leaves skittered about her feet like so many ants, driven into a frenzy by the wind. Days like this she found peaceful. Passersby clutched their cloaks close and bowed their heads to find shelter from the coming storm. No one had the time to look up and see who she was, and so she could travel in relative peace. Raindrops crashed against the cobblestones, not quite enough to drown out the sound of her bodyguard’s heavy footfalls. She glanced up, taking in his bright red hair, and neatly braided beard. The jagged edges of a massive stone axe slung over his shoulder matched the scowl chiseled into his features as he stood strait and unbent against the wind.

A slight smile played at her lips, and she wrapped her cloak tightly around herself. “You know Torgir, we could find somewhere to take shelter if the rain is bothering you.” She said, having spent so many years with him that she knew it was an offer he would not take.

He stopped walking and looked down upon her with the golden eyes of a hawk and carefully considered her every feature. Then he grinned, sharp teeth revealed themselves for only a moment before he looked up again. The rain sent rivulets down his face as they continued walking in what was to them a comfortable silence.

Minutes later, they rounded a corner and came to an abandoned town, blackened and burned years ago. The sight always made her hair stand on edge. She did not truly remember the day it happened, but she could remember the emotions she felt. Terror, pain, and loss. She breathed in deeply, then sighed, wondering if there would come a day when she would be able to accept the new life she found herself living.

Then something caught her eye. She turned to tell Torgir, but he’d already seen it, and his axe was at the ready. Inside the wreckage of one of the buildings a man was crouched down, hidden by shadow.

“Reveal yourself, stranger!” She shouted, but the man did not move. Torgir moved forward slowly, ready to strike. Today, of all days, she did not wish to see bloodshed. “I am the Countess Iarba. You will reveal yourself to me or you will die.” She said.

At that, the man stood slowly, carefully inching towards the light. “Iarba?” he questioned, his voice rough, as if unused. “The Countess?” he asked, stepping forward until only his face was covered in shadow. A trembling hand raised up as if he was reaching out to her, and sunlight glinted off the stones in his ring. Even from a distance she could see them clearly.

“That’s my-“Her voice caught in her throat. “That’s my father’s ring.” She whispered. The stranger froze, then raised his hands in a conciliatory gesture. For one brief moment Iarba felt relieved. Then the man shoved over what was left of the charred wall on top of Torgir.

Anger welled up inside her and before she realized what she was doing, she was chasing him. “Did you kill my father?” She yelled as the man fled, twisting and turning between charred houses. She could hear his footsteps thudding against the wet earth, but he was faster. At every turn, she saw less of him, until she couldn’t be sure she was running the right way, but she ran until her heart felt like it would explode.

Finally, she burst into the forest that had begun overgrowing the town and found herself face to face with a monstrous black wolf. It growled and snapped at her, its teeth cracking together savagely. Eyes wide with fright, she drew her dagger to defend herself as the wolf paced back and forth, still growling.

Suddenly, a knife flew from behind her, striking the wolf’s leg. A painful yelp sprung from its throat, and it ran into the woods, leaving a small trail of blood behind. She breathed a sigh of relief as Torgir hobbled up beside her, clearly injured but alive. For a moment, all they could do was breathe heavily, noisily catching their breath as they tried to make sense of what had just happened. When Torgir kneeled down to pick up his knife, he picked something else out of the dirt as well and brushed if off gently.

“What is it?” Iarba asked him. In his usual fashion, he said nothing, but held his hand out for her to see. It was her father’s ring.

9/27/2019 7:10:40 PM #1

Can't wait to see more!

9/27/2019 9:51:26 PM #2

Nicely done!!!

9/27/2019 10:25:21 PM #3

Yet another enjoyable read!

10/1/2019 3:29:44 AM #4

Thank you, I'm glad you guys like it! It's part of a larger story that I was writing for my county before any of the tribes were officially announced so it was fun to revisit the character trying to put real elyrian characteristics with them =) I also enjoy writing too, so making a compelling story in only 750 words is good fun.

10/7/2019 3:04:53 AM #5

Posted By Gnoll at 8:29 PM - Mon Sep 30 2019

Thank you, I'm glad you guys like it! It's part of a larger story that I was writing for my county before any of the tribes were officially announced so it was fun to revisit the character trying to put real elyrian characteristics with them =) I also enjoy writing too, so making a compelling story in only 750 words is good fun.

Thats fantastic, truly!

10/7/2019 3:08:03 AM #6

Speaking of more, Jaecp, I dug this up. The two stories revolve around the same character, but I suppose I'd have to say they're loosely related at the moment because when I started writing this story we hadn't had any of the tribes revealed yet. So, there's not really specifically elyrian details in this story yet. I will have to go back and both edit, and finish this story one day :)

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/2320/lore-and-legend-the-werewolf-now-part-5

Edit: I'm really not sure why when I made this a link it didn't direct to the right page, it was just redirecting to this post. Oh well, now you've got to physically copy paste it I guess.

10/17/2019 9:21:03 PM #7

Physically copy n paste isntvso bad!