COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Question RE: Location Naming item in the store.

Now that we sort of have maps and can see some of the landscape I figure people will start naming things, at least in their head-canon.

The map came with pre-named regions (Kingdoms, Duchies, and Counties) as well as settlements that may suggest names for features that we don't see the names of currently, rivers for example - there are a lot of "GART-" named towns along a particular stretch of river on Luna that might imply the river is named "Gart".

Will we be able to rename these with the Location Naming item? Technically it says it must be an "unnamed location" but then, that was also written at least two or three years ago and things have changed quite a lot since then.

The Township of Bris, County Delgora. Friend Code B2CF9C Friend Code B2CF9C

9/17/2019 3:25:11 PM #1

You know, I vaguely remember the idea of renaming settlements being mentioned somewhere, but I can’t recall it. I’ve assumed whoever owns said property will be able to rename it, but right now I have no sources backing this so don’t take my word for it. I was definitely wondering about this though. I’ll have to double check this thread and see if there are any answers later.

9/17/2019 3:31:27 PM #2

Well... you can rename settlements when you pick them during DSS. I was using that more of an example of features near settlements.

If the rivers (as an example) are already named by SBS then can we rename those with the naming device.

9/17/2019 3:49:04 PM #3

So in TIL...

Gart is a prefix meaning enclosed field... So, not the river I was thinking....

Still... Question stands, if a river comes pre-named by SBS can we rename it with the Location Naming item in the store.

9/17/2019 4:43:50 PM #4

Hugh Bris, from what I know, if you want to change the name of a location or natural „thing” you can not use rename tokens. Just the cartography mechanic and gossip system can help with that, and just after the game launches.

Respect and trust!

9/17/2019 4:55:15 PM #5

Could be that when the description refers to an unnamed location it's meaning a location that hasn't been named by another player using the token. Remember, this is a living breathing world that has existed for sometime before we will get into it. Pretty much everything is already going to have a name by the time we get in.

I also think that naming rights should be reserved for a period to the person that has control of the settlement that a feature is on (not in the case of large features that boast multiple settlemtns, like lakes and rivers). For example, I bought one so I can name the bay that my city is on. It'll suck if some random person drops into expo before and runs over there to name it Buttscratch Bay or something.

9/17/2019 5:31:22 PM #6

Posted By TVI Christian at 12:43 PM - Tue Sep 17 2019

Hugh Bris, from what I know, if you want to change the name of a location or natural „thing” you can not use rename tokens. Just the cartography mechanic and gossip system can help with that, and just after the game launches.

That's a good point. I had forgotten about the cartography and gossip system... Still, as it says

"Take pride in having named a server-specific region or landmark in Elyria, that will forever be part of Elyria's History"

I would think that this would be something of a predecessor to that. The name might change over time but you get the first naming rights with it. While it does also specify "unnamed" that was some time ago.

9/17/2019 5:38:18 PM #7

Posted By Tilarium at 12:55 PM - Tue Sep 17 2019

Could be that when the description refers to an unnamed location it's meaning a location that hasn't been named by another player using the token. Remember, this is a living breathing world that has existed for sometime before we will get into it. Pretty much everything is already going to have a name by the time we get in.

Yes, but I'm referring specifically to non-settlement locations that may have been named generically by SBS. Location Naming was also a perk in some of the old KS packages so current clarification would be good.

I also think that naming rights should be reserved for a period to the person that has control of the settlement that a feature is on (not in the case of large features that boast multiple settlemtns, like lakes and rivers). For example, I bought one so I can name the bay that my city is on. It'll suck if some random person drops into expo before and runs over there to name it Buttscratch Bay or something.

Valid concern. In this case perhaps this is why IP is still being tallied? Higher IP gets first naming rights maybe?

I'm just looking for current clarification from SBS on an older item.

9/17/2019 5:45:04 PM #8

I’m sure that the CoE moderators will still have to approve of names before they go through. I’d be surprised otherwise. I’d also be surprised if it wasn’t possible to rename pre-named landmarks, but unless it’s already been talked about on here, I don’t think we’ll know until it’s addressed or actually happens in-game. In fact, I’m sure there will be many players requesting to change the name of landmarks next to their settlement in the future, so even if it’s not addressed now it probably will be later.