COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
When settlements are attacked

Would the mayor of a settlement be required to request the help of the count to provide fortifications and aid for said settlement? Or would the mayor have to do this for his/her own citizens? If I'm correct, it's the duke who is responsible for the defense of the region. Therefore if the mayor must request the count's help, would the count then go to the duke to request said fortifications for the settlement? I can't imagine that the mayor would turn directly to the duke. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

9/17/2019 9:17:58 AM #1

A count can call on the Baron to help you defend your town, but only if he has the means for it. Until than you can only muster an NPC militia, or your friends to defend it.

A Duke can send soldiers, but that all depends on what kind of attack is happening. Is it war or not. Many things have to be considered. It also depends on how big of a threat it is. Sometimes an attack is just a false flag to divert soldiers away from the main objective.

Remember to pay your taxes ;-)

9/17/2019 9:21:07 AM #2

If your part of a community I would reach out to them as every local leader would most likely have a different approach.

9/17/2019 10:35:53 AM #3

As a Mayor the quickest way is to contact your local Baron if you need backup. The Baron answers to the Duke, so if you need a more permanent military presence, the Duke would be your best bet. For fortifications and stuff like that, the town should be able to build those itself.

Brash

9/17/2019 11:21:49 AM #4

Being a mayor is more than a title, it is taking responsibility for your community. If you manage your community so poorly you can’t fend off a group of bandits, you shouldn’t be mayor.

On the other hand, if there is a full-scale invasion from the anti-social-neighboring count, it is the responsibility of the baron/duke to settle it.

As a mayor you will have a chain of command, use it, but don’t be the boy that cried wolf.

9/17/2019 11:49:03 AM #5

Well I guess if there is a real attack you would hide behind the city walls and try to stay alive as long as you can. Of course you would hope that the count or duke will send troops asap but this is not guaranteed and also you will not know how long it will take till the help arrive. Looking at the sizes of the map it would take at least one day till the troops arrive and that just if they immediately decamp once someone hears your request but I guess it’s not unlikely if the reaction takes some time and that troops will need preparations before they can leave and sometimes the baron/count/duke might send at first just some scouts to evaluate the position.

But I guess most of the time you also have the option to surrender and pay the price the attackers demand. Sounds wrong but if the town is not good protected or the count/duke will send no help in time this might be your only choice to keep your citizens alive.

Count of "Wulfsbargen" in the Duchy "Avaland" within the Kingdom "Tryggr". If not explicit mentioned the above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Duchy or Kingdom.