COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Sometimes you need to dig a little deeper to S H I N E!

There are many ways to S H I N E !

Hail Elyrians!

Are we ready to shine today? Last week’s shiny featured several minutes of pre-alpha gameplay which was fun! And huge! But I think that this week I want to slow it down a bit and finally fulfill one of the requests we’ve heard from you, the community, quite a few times. You wanted to see some of the Hrothi architecture stuff, and there really isn’t a reason to wait, so I figured maybe this was the day for it.

Let’s take it from the top:

Two things to keep in mind with the Hrothi are that not all Hrothi settlements are the same, they take the local terrain both above and below ground into account, and that what you see on the surface is usually just the tip of the iceberg.

The Hrothi always take advantage of what they find as they dig around. If a hill turns out to contain a natural cavern, or if the terrain is shot through with crystal that can be used to channel or diffract light for natural lighting, they’ll incorporate what they find into their settlement planning.

In this instance of his concept art work, Heat was exploring what Hrothi settlements would look like inside natural caverns, so here you see him experimenting with using crystals as light pipes and diffractors in addition to looking at the blending of carved stone and uncarved cavern walls. The paintings are meant to be linked, but the natural grotto is meant to be far below the surface feature and relying on light traveling through the natural crystals found throughout the mountain in question.

And, as I mentioned, not all Hrothi settlements are the same. Natural voids like this grotto are capitalized on, but where they don’t exist, expect to see tighter, smaller tunnels connecting the “buildings” the Hrothi have carved out of the stone, without the broad streets and vaulting ceiling spaces – the Hrothi are just as comfortable when the stone is just above their head as they are when the stone ceiling is far out of reach… perhaps even more comfortable.

Well, that’s it for today’s shiny, I hope you liked it!

Until next week, stay shiny my friends!

• Snipehunter
9/13/2019 9:26:43 AM #46

Posted By Gunnlang at 10:31 AM - Fri Sep 13 2019

Posted By Roarer at 12:51 PM - Fri Sep 13 2019

Apart from crystal / metals reflecting lights and glotatoes / mushroomes, are there any other light sources for delving?

We don't need lights, able to see in the dark and all. Lets laugh as the other tribes try to enter.

If you take a look at the description of the Hrothi it says “Ability to see underground with little to no light sources” and this way there will be also for Hrothi a reason to have some light. For the most other tribes it would be quite dark in those towns but even they could find their way even if they most likely will miss a lot of the details as for them they are hidden in the shadows.

By the way it is also interesting that this ability of the Hrothi is limited to just underground areas and not surface areas. A funny reason could be that the Hrothi have to sing a song to have darkvision...so to say they “hear” like a bat the reflections from the walls and know this way that there is a wall and of course on the surface this would not work or would be at least less efficient. ;)

Count of "Wulfsbargen" in the Duchy "Avaland" within the Kingdom "Tryggr". If not explicit mentioned the above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Duchy or Kingdom.

9/13/2019 10:31:37 AM #47

I've been somewhat hesitant whether to play Hrothi or Neran but these two images totally convinced me :) Thank you!

9/13/2019 11:02:57 AM #48

finally a preview of my city :D

9/13/2019 11:26:59 AM #49

Hrothi got style!

9/13/2019 11:34:56 AM #50

I really like the Hrothi's style! Those buildings are awesome. The first time I see a Hrothic City in-game will surely be a breathtaking experience!

9/13/2019 12:36:01 PM #51

Are you still continuing development in the normal client as well as the PreElyria one? If so, is there any chance of getting something like this being walked through in the next shiny? Would be amazing!

thanks!

9/13/2019 1:00:40 PM #52

Gorgeous concept art, it makes me excited on how fleshed out it will be later for all the Hrothi domains and settlements.

9/13/2019 1:50:06 PM #53

I'm suddenly a lot happier I'll be playing Hrothi! Thanks for the shiney Snipe!

Friend Code: B6D2D4

9/13/2019 3:06:07 PM #54

Posted By Drudge at 05:36 AM - Fri Sep 13 2019

Are you still continuing development in the normal client as well as the PreElyria one? If so, is there any chance of getting something like this being walked through in the next shiny? Would be amazing!

thanks!

They're the same thing? the "regular" client is actually when they decide to add in the actual graphics and art

so probably after alpha is when you'd get to see that, atleast as non-low-poly I mean

Mayor of Gartalia, A short distance south of the Holy Capital of Victrovia, Melonia - Friend Code: 464345

9/13/2019 3:55:39 PM #55

I'm playing a neran. But this is what I want my keep to look like

https://cdn.chroniclesofelyria.com/screenshots/shiny/chronicles-of-elyria-concept-art-hrothi-surface-settlement.jpg

NA-E Luna Locked --------------------------------------------------

9/13/2019 6:02:32 PM #56

The real question is - which architecture do people want to see next?

9/13/2019 6:09:32 PM #57

Posted By Caspian at 8:02 PM - Fri Sep 13 2019

I'm interested to see what the defenses in the tropical biomes looks like.

It would also be helpful to have an overview of the different biomes, especially with the variations between close ones. ex. Salt marsh vs tidal marsh vs tropical wetlands.

Barony of Kern’s gate

9/13/2019 6:24:00 PM #58

Posted By Caspian at 2:02 PM - Fri Sep 13 2019

Brudvir but in the concept art style of the hrothi above <3

I don't know anymore.

9/13/2019 6:31:40 PM #59

I am beginning to think that Hrothi Virtori Cathedrals will be a thing.

Opera houses also. The Hrothi would absolutely have opera.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

9/13/2019 6:52:35 PM #60

Posted By Caspian at 2:02 PM - Fri Sep 13 2019

Dragon lairs

NA-E Luna Locked --------------------------------------------------