COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Why no love for Selene?

When a king falls, much ado about it is made, there are events, there are promotions, there are Sunstones and fighting styles... except when it comes to Selene.

When Dragor burned down his own castle in a fit of Daemon inspired madness, we were all expecting DSS to continue immediately afterward, so yes, it made sense that there wasn’t an event tied to replacing the king, just a quick-fix auction.

That would have solved the problem, back then.

However… look where we are now, September, months after the original start, plenty of opportunity for SBS to come up with some kind of event or the like. Instead, we still have the auction.

Now this has, of course, lead to some consequences. Duchies affiliated with other kingdoms placing in Nirath and there is every indication that it will become the war zone of Selene, a free for all no man’s land, a mad maxian dystopia.

No wonder no one but someone with kingdom backing is placing there. Now, of course, you can argue that it’s more conflict, more story. That’s fine. It’s a legitimate argument, but the question is… does it actually help the server?

Servers thrive when there are healthy communities competing and offering players diverse choices in regard to playstyles, stability, themes and the like.

The Free Kingdom event on NAE created a community and that is precisely what is lacking in Nirath. A community. There is no support network for a king to work with. Only what many consider proxies for other kings. So anyone who buys it will face immense hurdles, ultra hardmode from the get-go.

It’s a problem of inaction. As soon as Dragor stepped down a power vacuum was created. This power vacuum would have been quickly filled with an auction, back then. Six months later though?

Too late, much too late.

A power vacuum does one thing above all others, it gives people ideas. Specifically that it’s free real estate. There was blood in the water, and the sharks thought about swarming. It was an opportunity for them. It’s a legitimate perception and anyone who did that did so fairly.

However it should never have come to that.

Now there is a general perception among many Selene players that EU always gets the short end of the stick. We’re usually not as vocal, usually not as spend-happy. Is it that? Is it because we did not shout and scream enough? Is it because we don’t open the purse strings as easily? Is it because we’re an ocean away?

It’s probably too late now for any event, the damage is done, the baby thrown out with the bath water and some of you might consider this whining about ‘losing’ because of political events.

That’s fine, you’re allowed.

I am still left wondering; why no love for Selene?

9/11/2019 9:38:13 AM #1

Hi Scylurus,

Whilst I appreciate your views I do not entirely agree with them - by creating a void it encourages conflict. Yes, many players will not gravitate to this conflict as will want to settle down someone and grow in 'peaceful' mode, however many others will see this potential clash of arms, espionage and covert action as exactly what they are looking for.

SBS have said on numerous times that the story engine will generate all kinds of events including ones that drive conflict and tribal aggression, so perhaps them not rushing to fill this void is a perfect opportunity?

At no point have any of the SBS team made any reference to us in the EU being second class citizens and not worthy of as much effort - you could use the argument that they are more active during US Daytime, but that is the fault of the Earth rotating around the sun, not SBS.

Your comments therefore, I find to be inflammatory and looking to provoke an outcry, and not based on any evidence.

Moderator edit: Let's keep it respectful please.

9/11/2019 9:41:00 AM #2

Deserves an up. Instead of a diverse blooming starting continent, the first impression for anyone who will come to play on selene will meet decay. Sad state but a good challenge. Only time will tell how this will unfold in the future.

Good luck ;)

9/11/2019 10:01:38 AM #3

As an ex-Nirathi I’m gonna say I have to agree with Scy here. I like conflict as much as the next guy but there needs to be a stable foundation on which conflict should occur. A failed state turned into a proxy battleground for its neighbors is an interesting story but I feel that SbS missed a trick.

A community building event in the style of the free kingdom or the OCE event would have been in my opinion more interesting (and more profitable for SbS) than an auction and forward placing.

Coming Soon(tm)

9/11/2019 10:06:13 AM #4

@Shamstone, you gotta agree that it feels kinda odd that after Luna had an event around their open kingdom and Oceanus had an event around their open kingdom, Selene does not get anything to fill that hole.

If the story engine suffices and an open spot just leads to conflict and great stories, then why did the hole get patched on the other two servers?

The truth is born in argument

9/11/2019 10:18:57 AM #5

I would have wished for this exact same scenario if it didn't happen by sheer coincidence, maybe SbS would even have paid a monarch to do so if they were wealthy & crazy or corrupt enough to do so for the story.

What is so bad about the situation? When new people join in, not all of them will want a perfect farming, job, building simulator, some of them will want adventuring and combat, for which trouble and turmoil is required.

I mostly only encountered singleplayer games like Pathfinder, where you could be part of a nation in turmoil and do whatever. Any multiplayer game with that setting is often inconsequential or pure strategy and management, lacking alot of the attention towards the individual like singleplayer games do.

This setting we have found ourselves in is exactly what people desire in stories, not some orderly harmonious paradise where nothing troublesome happens anymore. Even if it gets more chaotic, it can still be good and bring forth even greater results than it normally would.

Only mentioning what could have been better and why it's so bad now, while leaving out what could have been worse and why it's good now, makes me think some have more to consider than they've yet come up with.

How about we consider the good points from the bright side of the medallion when mentioning the dark side, maybe go further and add the middle

Either this topic stems from shortsightedness or im dreaming up CoE to be bigger than it is.

Also why is this so called "perception of a short ended stick for EU" being spread around? As this is the first I've seen it mentioned I cannot believe that "many" feel that way.

It was the choice of a person from EU which affected Selene, while SbS could have done something, they were not obliged to. There also didn't seem to be an immediate demand for them to do anything and were busy with other stuff anyways. Complaining about it now (and in such a manner) is just venting your personal issues or for you own gain (with political events being mentioned).

Lastly, if the title was re-claimed quickly, who is to say that it would be better now? Who are you to assume a different approach would create better "drama"? It's all just drama in the end, don't you have enough drama that you need to create drama about having a different kind of drama than the drama you expected?

Seems more like trying to find another excuse to bash at SbS.

Shroud to The Covenant of the Veil

9/11/2019 10:23:39 AM #6

Posted By Scylurus at

Servers thrive when there are healthy communities competing and offering players diverse choices in regard to playstyles, stability, themes and the like.

Are you saying that Nirath was not a great community? :)

Basically, you are blaming SbS because Dragor gave up his crown a few days after kingdom selection, which is from my perspective a huge mark of disrespect regarding his community, relegating him to me SNIP (mod edit). But what did Nirathi instead of facing the problems? They fled all across the others kingdoms.

Now Al khezam is annoyed to be alone with Arkadia in the South, and once again what prevented you to pick duchies from Nirath? You have all the rich dukes.

Since you pass all your days and nights writing here you sound like the voice of EU. And that voice sounds more and more like a whining little kid than anything. You will get nothing by crying all day long; do something more constructive of your time.

Moderator edit: Let's keep it respectful please.

Join Now!

9/11/2019 10:26:24 AM #7

Posted By Luminios at 11:06 AM - Wed Sep 11 2019

@Shamstone, you gotta agree that it feels kinda odd that after Luna had an event around their open kingdom and Oceanus had an event around their open kingdom, Selene does not get anything to fill that hole.

If the story engine suffices and an open spot just leads to conflict and great stories, then why did the hole get patched on the other two servers?

Is it possible that one or neither of the events generated the level of conflict that SBS had planned at that point, or their views of how they wanted to roll it out evolved?

We are not talking about a server having no communities here, otherwise I would fully agree with you - We have the rest of the map with Kingdoms that have grown and shaped, and just a single one left in turmoil.

9/11/2019 10:32:47 AM #8

Complaining about SbS not having done something in the meantime, might as well complain about all of Nirath for the same reason since it has been quite a while as well.

Stop throwing stones when you are also to blame

What do you desire to come out of this, some compensation for all ex-Nirath? The auction is planned and Imo this topic makes EU look pretty bad, like sore losers when there is no real prize to be won.

Shroud to The Covenant of the Veil

9/11/2019 10:33:08 AM #9

Ivorax, since you are a duke of Nirath now, shouldn't you change your signature?

Or is it official that Arkadia seeks to go to war with the empty kingdom?

@Shamstone, so you'd say that Luna had no communities before the Free Kingdom event? Or how should I understand:

Posted By Shamstone at 12:26 PM - Wed Sep 11 2019

We are not talking about a server having no communities here, otherwise I would fully agree with you - We have the rest of the map with Kingdoms that have grown and shaped, and just a single one left in turmoil.

The truth is born in argument

9/11/2019 10:34:23 AM #10

Posted By Luminios at 12:33 PM - Wed Sep 11 2019

Ivorax, since you are a duke of Nirath now, shouldn't you change your signature?

Or is it official that Arkadia seeks to go to war with the empty kingdom?

I will buy the kingdom anyway and rename it

Join Now!

9/11/2019 10:35:24 AM #11

@Ivorax your petty argument is just self justification. No one pointed fingers and said you did something wrong, this post is about the state of the game and the selene server. Do not push your own agenda and belittle it to a 2 kingdoms clashing post.

Good luck ;)

9/11/2019 10:38:34 AM #12

Posted By Ivorax at 06:34 AM - Wed Sep 11 2019

Awww, how sweet ... I really didn't want a whole kingdom, but if you're buying what the hell!

9/11/2019 10:43:12 AM #13

Posted By Sanguinesh_Blackwind at 12:38 PM - Wed Sep 11 2019

Posted By Ivorax at 06:34 AM - Wed Sep 11 2019

Awww, how sweet ... I really didn't want a whole kingdom, but if you're buying what the hell!

You remind me someone, big mouth...

Join Now!

9/11/2019 10:46:52 AM #14

Posted By Luminios at 11:33 AM - Wed Sep 11 2019

@Shamstone, so you'd say that Luna had no communities before the Free Kingdom event? Or how should I understand:

Whether Luna or Oceanus had other communities is irrelevant to the fact that Selene is otherwise full of existing communities and families. My point is that creating a bit more diversity and having options for players to have that conflict from the start if they so choose is a good positive move.

My views are my own, and you are very welcome to have your own, and I hope you enjoy them!

9/11/2019 10:49:23 AM #15

Okay, I have to agree with Scy, I do think EU's kinda been a little left out. Having an event such as Free Kingdoms would have been great, though I can understand why SBS didn't take the oppertunity to run something along the same lines. Dragor's decision was a shock, and with the team trying to get DSS running for everyone else they certainly didn't have the chance to give such an event the time and plannign it would have needed. I can only hope that when the auction goes live that the kingdom finds someone worthy of the crown and able to deal with it's weight.

As for the actual topic of discussion (Selene's neglect), as much as I'm jealous that the other servers have had these really cool events and more oppertnities with SBS, I can see why. We've been really quiet over here, very little drama until recently, not really many oppertunities for the planned events as elsewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also don't think any of the devs will be playing on our server. All this means that on the whole we will get less attention than others servers. Not really anyone's fault. We also don't know if SbS have anything planned for us in the future, so here's hoping (sorry, apparently I've turned into the eternal optamist when it comes to this game).