COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Major Families

After watching game of thrones I was wondering how likely it is that we can expect to see large families like the major ones in game of thrones. Are those who are in leadership positions opening up their family codes to others to bolster their family size or are most going to hide their code and keep their families small with everyone essentially being separate?

9/8/2019 1:51:01 PM #1

I'd only open it up to people I actually know and/or have played games with for years.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

9/8/2019 3:23:45 PM #2

Posted By zimmah at 09:51 AM - Sun Sep 08 2019

I'd only open it up to people I actually know and/or have played games with for years.

Yea i agree. it seems pretty foolish to just let people into your family. then your just gonna face real pretenders to your rulership

9/8/2019 6:37:09 PM #3

Ya, I can see how it is a problem with nobility. I guess they could implement a "head family" and side family of sorts for nobility wherein only those born into the head family IE the actual king, are able to be in the running,

9/8/2019 6:39:04 PM #4

Posted By zimmah at 09:51 AM - Sun Sep 08 2019

This. I'm only a Count these days but I'm still not opening my family up. It's my family and only I will play with my family.

9/9/2019 3:51:33 AM #5

There will be large extended families. Some groups are already roleplaying that situation.

To support the notion of large extended families, SBS intends to offer cadet lines. These are branches of a main family that do not directly inherit, but share a surname and a heritage. Cadet lines can separate ownership and control of stuff and character codes among individuals representing the different branches.

That's a big deal, because without the separation, all family stuff is owned in common. That's the reason why other respondents have warned about inviting other players into your family.

9/9/2019 4:30:41 AM #6

I've been planning to have three kids a generation. One cadet line open to randoms, one non-inheriting npc, and the child my soul will inhabit when my main character dies, in that order. I want my new character as young as possible when it comes time to inhabit them.

If each child has three children of their own, and each of them has three children, etc etc, my first character could have over 19000 descendents by the end of the ten years (3 to the ninth power)! A lot of assumptions there, though. Still that would be a major family

Expecting to set up as a mayor in one of the three "two town" counties in Bridgespider (Angelica server, Kingdom of Tyria). I'm hoping to end up with a city by the end of exposition for lawmaking ability, assuming I can keep the city sustainable. You will know it's me by the city name Raven's Roost

Friend code: 23F484.

9/9/2019 7:21:25 AM #7

I would guess that noble families will be way more strict about who they invite to their family as even with cadet lines I would guess if the main family is completely wiped out the closest relatives will get a chance to be the new main family. This way all it might need to take over a duchy might be t be a well-known noble in that region, be in the cadet line of the ruling main family and hiring enough assassins to kill all members of the main family. ;P

I would expect large open families for the ones who are e.g. uninterested in virtual wealth and simply would like to participate in the other aspects of CoE. E.g. large families of mercenaries, soldiers or bandits who are mainly fighting PvP without any interest in personal partaking in the dance of dynasties seems reasonable.

Posted By Sir Zyr at 06:30 AM - Mon Sep 09 2019

If each child has three children of their own, and each of them has three children, etc etc, my first character could have over 19000 descendents by the end of the ten years (3 to the ninth power)! A lot of assumptions there, though. Still that would be a major family

Well Of course just if all your descendants are able to survive but I would bet many of them will be killed in wars, by bandits or monsters. I also guess you cannot control NPCs that much so there is also the chance that they never get children even if they are not killed and die from senility.

Count of "Wulfsbargen" in the Duchy "Avaland" within the Kingdom "Tryggr". If not explicit mentioned the above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Duchy or Kingdom.

9/13/2019 7:06:37 PM #8

I think the idea of Houses or like, a kind of Honorary member of your family makes the most sense seeing as how they state it's meant to be for a kind of close friend or personal invite system.

9/27/2019 7:39:14 AM #9

Posted By Poldano at 8:51 PM - Sun Sep 08 2019

There will be large extended families. Some groups are already roleplaying that situation.

To support the notion of large extended families, SBS intends to offer cadet lines. These are branches of a main family that do not directly inherit, but share a surname and a heritage. Cadet lines can separate ownership and control of stuff and character codes among individuals representing the different branches.

That's a big deal, because without the separation, all family stuff is owned in common. That's the reason why other respondents have warned about inviting other players into your family.

where is this said?

My dream is to make my settlement long outlive me Why not join me in being part of it? Send me a message

9B7323 friend code

9/28/2019 3:00:09 AM #10

Posted By *Spenraw * at 12:39 AM - Fri Sep 27 2019

Posted By Poldano at 8:51 PM - Sun Sep 08 2019

where is this said?

In Design Journal #5.

Family members automatically get keys to shared household resources and can access and process the land without breaking laws.

This DJ is more than four years old. I am not aware of any significant changes regarding it since that time.