COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
religious titles

Hi, I was wondering, I consider naming my character "Brother Jon", because he wants to be a priest ;)

Now I am worried that it could be a bad idea if there are also similar ingame titles and he ends up being called Brother "Brother Jon"?

Is there any information on this yet? Especially in the Virtorian Church?

Alt text - can be left blank

8/30/2019 6:20:45 AM #1

No definite information yet. The Virtori are the most filled out, with a hierarchy that seems to resemble the Roman Catholic church, but we don't really have title names yet that I know of. We know from D&SS profession lists for settlements that priest and monk are names of professions, so this might give you a hint.

There may be character naming rules that prohibit the use of in-game titles as parts of proper names. All surnames have to be vetted by SBS, but we don't yet know anything about the restrictions on individual names. There is a design journal or developer journal that states what rules are already in place.

I would hold off if I were you. Also, you don't necessarily want to restrict your character in case, for instance, he gets promoted to abbot.

9/2/2019 8:35:49 AM #2

That's true. Haven't thought about a promotion tbh ;) Mmh maybe I will think of something else then. Thank you for your answer :)

9/2/2019 12:02:30 PM #3

I wonder what role personas might be able to play in this. For example, perhaps you are born as "Jon" but then go around telling everybody "I am Brother Jon" to build that persona.

9/2/2019 12:10:29 PM #4

Posted By mojomonkey at 07:02 AM - Mon Sep 02 2019

I wonder what role personas might be able to play in this. For example, perhaps you are born as "Jon" but then go around telling everybody "I am Brother Jon" to build that persona.

thats what i was thinking. just name yourself jon and get yourself the nickname of brother jon. or jon the pirate. or count jonathon. anything you want, but its just a ingame nickame/title where the character's name is just jon.

Everyone wants to be a beast, until it's time to do what beasts do.

9/2/2019 3:18:59 PM #5

Better not to include titles in your name, titles can change depending on circumstances.

Also, while I will not be in a place with a virtori dominant religion, I do have a group within my county focused on religion.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

9/2/2019 4:54:18 PM #6

it's settled then, I will be known as Jon the Beloved :D

thanks, guys, you all have made good points :) also I am sure his name won't be Jon, I now have some nice RP ideas. I am working on a concept for a religious order and they will have their own titles, just for RP fun :)

9/7/2019 5:23:14 AM #7

i can't recall where but i think a saw that will be prefix and suffix "titles", and even if is not a thing, it will be a thing for sure

9/20/2019 7:11:38 PM #8

If a life of Virtori priest hood interests you I'd like to recommend a look at the church organization here. If the servers match up for you id love to speak with you about the possibilities.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/25722/Grand-Church-of-the-Virtori-Faithful-Presentation-and-Reintroduction