COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
[All Servers] Complete DSS County Zoom Maps

Since the DSS client was first pushed to the cohort that I happen to be a part of, I’ve been trying to find a way of getting all the tiles from DSS in a manner that didn’t break the automation/data scraping rules that the developers have set out. Well, eventually I gave up trying to be smart about it, and just brute forced it. After a somewhat stupid number of ‘save file as’ and folder structuring, I got all the important tiles from each of the four DSS maps at the County zoom level. SBS also happens to have organised their default folder structure similar to how Google Maps does things, which made finding a Python script that would stitch together all of those tiles much, much easier.

I want to give special thanks to Bjorn for helping me with the Python script, Mempgrizz for agreeing to help me manually stitch together the tiles before I found said script, and a number of my Duchy members for doing the same. There we other people who helped, but it is very late local time, and I cannot remember the particulars. You know who you are, I guess?

So, what are these images.

Each of these maps is a LARGE .PNG file of the entire map at the maximum zoom level, at the highest quality physically possible with the dataset we have. The tiles do not have settlements or county lines baked into them, though I intend to integrate both of those things into a PSB file in the very near future, starting with Luna.

Each of the following posts is dedicated to one of the four maps. These maps are completely free to use. I cannot prove that you didn’t go and make your own, so I won’t whinge and whine if you don’t, but if you do happen to make use of these files, please consider giving credit. This was a decent chunk of work to get done, and I would appreciate the consideration.

Hopefully you find these useful. Oh, and chances are you only want to try opening them in an image manipulation program. I’m not sure how well things like Paint will handle images this big. I have heard of some people potentially having issues opening them in GIMP, but I don't touch GIMP because it's of the devil so I cannot check.

8/27/2019 10:28:42 PM #1

LUNA

Preview Image

Google Folder with all the County/Duchy/Kingdom Lines, in HTML, SVG and EPS

NOW ALSO INCLUDES SETTLEMENTS

Google Folder Link

Google Drive Link for PNG

PNG File Link

8/27/2019 10:28:49 PM #2

ANGELICA

Preview Image

Google Folder Link

PNG File Link

8/27/2019 10:28:56 PM #3

SELENE

Preview Image

Google Folder Link

PNG File Link

8/27/2019 10:29:04 PM #4

Oceanus

Preview Image

Google Folder Link

PNG File Link

8/27/2019 10:43:33 PM #5

Holy 1.1Gigs of a file Morbis

8/27/2019 10:49:52 PM #6

Posted By Brynath at 11:43 PM - Tue Aug 27 2019

Holy 1.1Gigs of a file Morbis

"Each of these maps is a LARGE .PNG file of the entire map at the maximum zoom level,"

I don't lie. You should see the PSB files I am playing with right now. Luna is approaching 10gig.

8/27/2019 10:52:35 PM #7

well looks like i can stop making my map. i started luna last night but couldn't fully automate the compositing because some tiles would consistently get out of place in downloading. very nice work.

8/27/2019 10:53:57 PM #8

Looks really good, thanks Morbis!

8/27/2019 10:54:39 PM #9

Nicely done Morbis. I can only imagined the clicks required.

Divide et Impera

8/27/2019 11:00:18 PM #10

Thanks Morbis!

8/27/2019 11:02:42 PM #11

Posted By Focii at 11:54 PM - Tue Aug 27 2019

Nicely done Morbis. I can only imagined the clicks required.

Honestly, a lot of the work was making sure that the folder structure I was using those clicks to make was one that was workable for the Python scripts I had. From what I understand, that's been the primary barrier for other people doing similar things as me.

8/28/2019 12:06:50 AM #12

Posted By Morbis at 6:29 PM - Tue Aug 27 2019

[OCE will go here tomorrow morning, I promise]

nodates! :)

8/28/2019 12:25:28 AM #13

This is awesome work!

8/28/2019 12:43:40 AM #14

Superb Morbis, very much appreciated.

8/28/2019 1:43:25 AM #15

So ... just how big of a PC does Morbis have? O.o