COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Magic Talent-For all

I was talking to someone on discord today and thought I would share it with you.

I proposed that the magic talent (or druid talent as the case may be) could be developed through the family birth mark. It would have a history whether through rumor or reputation and it would be developed gradually as the person matured. Perhaps only detected by others who are sensitive as well.

Not only will We Survive with Honor, We will Prevail.

8/16/2019 12:37:40 AM #1

Don't expect to see magic anywhere. It's so rare as to be almost mythic.

It's also a story mechanic, not a 'nice thing for characters to have'. For instance.. If the story needs a talent (say water cleanser during the plague) and also you're in the right place at the right time and make the right decisions, maybe you'll have the talent of water cleanser emerge. Maybe not. It seems to be story need, not personal desire or affection for magic and special skills.

The way it used to be is that talents would be tied to your soul (which you replay over and over by sparking into new lives after you die), but that was changed. Now the talent expires after a lifetime.

Also, bear in mind that this is a game in development. It's very early so lots of rules and mechanics could change over the course of time. Magic is something that seems pretty firmly rare and not common place or chosen or inherited.

8/16/2019 12:38:55 AM #2

This is not a high fantasy game.

8/16/2019 12:56:29 AM #3

No, leave magic on other games. Can't we have one game where everyone is not superpowered.

Countess of Tarnham

County Tarnham, Rhynelands Duchy, Vornair. Luna Server (NA-E)

8/16/2019 1:42:36 PM #4

okie just an idea...dont shoot the messenger

Not only will We Survive with Honor, We will Prevail.

8/16/2019 2:05:04 PM #5

It's all good, Blayzes. Sounds like you're excited for the game and you're having fun with ideas.

If you want to chat and learn more, feel free to click my signature buttons and hang out with us in our Duchy or Town discord.

8/17/2019 6:47:54 AM #6

All player characters will have a degree of magical ability. They will be able to survive most fatal injuries with only a reduction in expected lifespan.

;-)

8/17/2019 10:53:34 AM #7

Spends 8 sparks living mundane lives.

During the 9th spark, meets the hidden conditions/requirements, and gains super spell casting abilities and is marked as the hope of salvation of a crisis in the world.

However, being that the character is 80 years old he or she dies of old age the next day.

Heh, anyway kidding aside I do hope it is handled well. Would be cool to see these talents. Not have it so rare that we wouldnt realistically be able to see it for 5 RL years but at the same time not be so easy or common that it would become like how the Jedi destroyed SWG.

8/17/2019 11:31:37 AM #8

Talents do not pass on to offspring, nor do they stick to a soul.

Each new spark of life has a chance to have a talent or not.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

8/18/2019 8:01:17 PM #9

Lamentably, we'll probably not see any significant presence of magic-bearing characters in the game, simply because SbS doesn't want it and there's a portion of the community that agrees with them. We're probably going to have to wait for one of the many games inspired by CoE's success for an Elyria-like high fantasy world.

That said, I honestly think having the talent for everyone would work simply by giving it abnormally difficult unlock criteria. The kind of criteria list people would need to potentially spend thousands of hours (more than a lifetime by far) working through to potentially unlock. This way would maintain the rarity of magical gifts, while allowing it to be just common enough to maintain a niche presence and continuity of knowledge and technology within the game. Data mining and bruteforcing the list would both be rendered pretty much meaningless by this style of implementation, making it a lot more likely to unlock a magical gift by sheer chance than any kind of deliberate, dedicated effort - but ensuring everyone has that chance.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.