COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Questions and Concerns

I have no idea where to put this so I decided to put this here as basically inspite of everything in this game I am a new player. Please forgive the length of this. I have some questions, and I have concerns that arise from a past history of gaming. I am doing this not only for myself but after my days of reflection for those who may come after me. I am also doing this with the hope that I will get, oh I hope I will get a positive response, a welcoming response, rather than the rejection that so many of us get.

If you have seen Big Bang Theory than you know that many people of high intelligence but on the continuum of social appropirateness *some vaguely normal and some outright not) come into these games. I am one of those. I have said repeatedly that I have been in many mmos for roleplaying and nobody said a word. And, yet many people in the gaming industry are now crying out for those who can write storylines like myself. We roleplayers are a proud people and being in a roleplaying game does not make you a roleplayer. I have even taught roleplaying. All I was asking for was the acknowledgement that I can be useful here. I am also worried that because I now have a surname that I will not be able to become part of a larger family who will help me. Perhaps now that I have opened my mouth I will become even more mobbed, but I rather do it now before the game begins than later. I tend to participate and contribute all my resources to my guilds. I am a leader where-ever I go. But I have my limitations. Yet when I have asked for help here nobody said a word. This is my concern. I hope this does not reflect the community or the developers who forget that we who have disabilities have bought their games and have been their fan base for years. We have worked for them while they called us geeks etc...but we are here ...All we want is to be acknowledged; to belong and to useful, and most of all not to be discarded and ignored.

If nobody answers this positively or this topic is dismissed I will terminate my account and will put my views on the web. This is not a threat.

Not only will We Survive with Honor, We will Prevail.

8/14/2019 3:13:59 PM #1

Where to begin. Firstly welcome to the community. The game will not be forced roleplay so to speak but there will be many opportunities to do so encouraged by the game. There will be tribal languages so you will need to learn them to understand what is being said, You will have the ability to write books and journals, make music, sing and play instruments. Their is a roleplay forum https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/Fan-Fiction and a roleplay channel in the CoE discord. There are also many roleplay communities already established on each server. Go to the forum of your server and look at the recruitment posts. Or make a post asking about roleplay based communities. Once personas are added then the roleplaying will increase as you will communicate there as you ingame chc. If you have any more specific questions please ask. Thanks

Divide et Impera

8/14/2019 3:41:38 PM #2

Posted By blayzes101abc at

I am also worried that because I now have a surname that I will not be able to become part of a larger family who will help me.

You have a few options here in CoE. Firstly, you could open up your NPC family members that share the name you reserved so others may join YOUR family. Another option would be to join one of the many guilds or organizations that have formed around different playstyles such as tradeskills or mercantile. This will be more easily accomplished with the "Personas" release slated for this year.

Finally, with a bit of research you can find many settlements and in fact entire counties dedicated to Roleplaying. I am sure you will be able to find like minded people who may like to join your family or perhaps organization you create. I know, for example, that there is a Kypiq roleplaying coalition within my own duchy of Mytharbor on the Luna server.

Welcome to CoE!

8/14/2019 5:19:17 PM #3

Regarding your humble brag about being "highly intelligent", you've surely heard of the dunning kruger effect ?

alt text

8/14/2019 6:14:48 PM #4

Having read through your post a few times, I'm not entirely sure what your question/concern is.

You say you're a roleplayer, but you want acknowledgment that you're going to be "useful." I don't know exactly what you mean by that. Does that mean that you're worried you won't be able to find a community of roleplayers, that roleplaying will make the game harder, or that you won't be able to roleplay? Are you concerned that your disability won't be accommodated? If you could clarify your concerns, maybe tell us what they are specifically, then I'm sure the community would be happy to assuage them.

Also, I don't mean to be rude but I think you might be inviting hostile responses. I mean, four or five times you imply that people are going to attack or dismiss you outright and you end your post with an ultimatum.

8/14/2019 7:34:15 PM #5

I'm not a role-player particularly, but the immediate thought I had on just reading your comment was that it must be really difficult to role-play without being able to create an actual character to actually role-play with! Afraid none of us have any idea just how long we may have to wait until we can all do that... However, as others have said, I do hope you feel there's a community/Duchy or somewhere that you feel you can begin to bond with soon.

Physician, Alchemist & Herbalist to the Duchy of Anor, Al-Khezam - Selene (EU) Server

8/14/2019 7:43:18 PM #6

Posted By blayzes101abc

If nobody answers this positively or this topic is dismissed I will terminate my account and will put my views on the web. This is not a threat.

This comment alone makes my inner sarcastic smart ass want to come out and play.. I mean.. Feel free to do what ever makes your little heart pitter-patter..

8/15/2019 12:29:33 AM #7

Hi! I'm new, too.

I just picked (I think) a kingdom and a duchy.

6D242B

8/15/2019 12:32:16 AM #8

I have a lot of questions about game mechanics. I am surprised I haven't found more said about combat.

I would like to play a female character, but I'm probably going to fight like a girl no matter what. I hope I can use double daggers and a long staff to smack the foo out of people who are taller than me from a distance. Poke 'em, too.

6D242B

8/15/2019 8:14:20 AM #9

Look at the kingdom, duchy, and county descriptions to find communities that intend to foster role-playing. If you already know your preferred server, start with the domains located there. Visit the Discord sites of the most promising domains.

8/15/2019 2:19:09 PM #10

Posted By Nanyetah at 7:32 PM - Wed Aug 14 2019

I have a lot of questions about game mechanics. I am surprised I haven't found more said about combat.

I would like to play a female character, but I'm probably going to fight like a girl no matter what. I hope I can use double daggers and a long staff to smack the foo out of people who are taller than me from a distance. Poke 'em, too.

What we know about combat ( I may be a bit outdated here) is that there will be different move sets for each weapon or weapon type, then there will be different stances that allow or remove weapon moves. IE you can have a short sword but in the defensive stance you cannot lunge but you are better at defending yourself. it is also talked about players being able to create their own stances. so as far as I am aware this combat system has huge potential but we still have to wait and see

8/15/2019 6:19:29 PM #11

I was asking because combat mechanics would influence my plans for what kind of character I want to develop, and what role I want to play in the community. From the description of the game I've read so far, combat is probably going to be required of pretty much all players, even someone running a catering business : )

Personally, I would like double daggers that double as chef's knifes and hunting knives. It would be nice if I could gain skills to throw them as a ranged weapon.

I also want a pike, about 7ft or so, with a good blade on the end.

Can I has that?

6D242B

8/15/2019 7:45:00 PM #12

Yes I believe so, there are skills for duel wielding and polearms, so I think you can also safely assume that there will combat styles for those weapons, maybe even multiple. if there is not then the planned combat system could allow for that to be created over time.

8/15/2019 8:12:35 PM #13

I love rp in MMO´s. Been doing it for 15 years.

And the thing i have learned is never to wait for someone else to do things. You want to write something, just do it and post it. And again and again. If people like it they will let you know.

8/15/2019 9:02:45 PM #14

ok!

The other game mechanic I want to understand is food boosts. Not sure what it would be called here.

What am I going to cook is a big question for cooks. Depends on what is available.

6D242B

8/15/2019 9:08:26 PM #15

I am thinking of making something of a food truck kind of business where people just go to the window and get a hand-pie or a bowl of soup and a flatbread and a sausage. Maybe some exotic tea.

This could be useful with a lot of construction going on. just pull up with a wagon and gear, make some soup and cornbread or something.

6D242B