COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
Diaries of an Olde Widow—Lore of Dukes.

Diaries of an Olde Widow

”Lore of Dukes.”

…. …. ….

​‘Sneaky, sneaky,’ whispers the foul fowl as Fae tiptoes over to the Olde Widow’s desk, having bypassed her myriad traps, oddly placed trinkets, braziers emitting narcotic fumes, and a sprinkling of flour on the floor that would alert her to an intruder’s presence. Most of the traps he could avoid, as for the flour—well, he had some in a pouch on his belt.

Seated at her desk, he adjusted her pillow beneath his bony derriere and flicked his sleeves in the same manner he had witnessed the widow herself do on multiple occasions. He opened the book on her desk, a heavy tome covered in a rare lizard’s leather with the dull sounding ‘High Nobles of Al’Khezam’ embossed in gold on the front. Such a book must contain the most delicious of secrets, the young boy thought, gleefully imagining what he would do with all the information inside—impoverished beginnings, children born out of wedlock, mistresses, murder and mayhem—all could be contained within this book that was always chained to the Olde Widow’s desk.

Fae turned to the page in which a feather bookmark rested and wet his lips in anticipation. Those berry stained lips pursed in confusion, sputtered and then frowned in disgust as he swiftly realised that this book was a mere record of the dukes, their tribes and their collective pasts—with none of the delightful intrigue of a spymaster’s musings. Just a dreary, dry account as one would find in a historian’s lair.

Peering about her office in frustration, his eyes widened at the sight of a new device standing on a tripod, facing a window. Lengthy, tubular, and made of gleaming brass, Fae danced over to it and tried to work out what it was used for. “To see the stars” his ‘best friend’ the Owl whispered, perched on the young boy’s shoulders. Fae peered through one end and then the other, jumping back in alarm when his vision cleared, and he realised he was looking into the neighbour’s bed chamber. “What—what are they doing?” he muttered, peering once more through the smaller end. “No—never mind, I don’t want to know.”

Looking up at the Owl, he laughed and said, “I don’t think it’s the stars the old lady looks at. Spying on all of Dilmunia, maybe.”

The Owl hopped off his shoulder and flew over to a box that had a paper in it. Curiosity aroused, Fae followed carefully and without triggering an alarm, and then bent over to see what the paper said. The name of the brass item was a ‘telescope’ and it could indeed be used to view the stars, it was an aide to the science of Astronomy. “I’ll have to ask her to teach me more,” Fae said. “I would love to see the Tulip Constellation clearly.”

Glancing back at the big, ponderous tome, our delightful young intemperate friend got a sudden ‘brilliant’ idea. ‘If nothing interesting is in this book of history, then we shall have to discover the information for ourselves. I know, we’ll have a contest.’

Fetching a sheet of vellum from the Olde Widow’s special supply, Fae fearlessly put her best quill in her most prized ink and then began to write in a script that was identical to hers (the word ‘forgery’ was not part of his regular vocabulary when he did not wish it to be).

‘To all the Dukes of Al’Khezam,

You have performed your duties well, and your exploits are recounted, sung of and written by the most esteemed artists of our lands. And yet, in our grand historical records, much of what is recorded is dates and grand deeds only. To achieve true legacy, we the people also request that you give us more information, more of your innermost selves and even a few choice titbits.

Here in Al'Khezam a solstice is a signal to celebrate. Yet when the days are long and the sun is casting its harsh light on us, we seek the shade and what has proven better than our own people to shield us from the elements through the tilling of the land, growing of crops, fisheries, building our houses and tending to our children? . And how can we return the favour better than opening our sequestered lives to them just a little and welcoming them into our lives, hearts, minds and plans?"

I, the Olde Widow, call for a contest of wits for the whole nation to enjoy. A contest that each of you Dukes are invited to partake of. I invite all of Al’Khezam to think of and submit a question they have always wanted to ask one of our Dukes. The Duke with the wittiest, most interesting or emotive response shall win a prize, that of the chance to bequeath a beautiful telescope and astronomy kit to any of the venerated or new astronomers of Al’Khezam. Your name will be blessed by those who study the stars forever.

To aid this contest along, here are the first of the questions. I urge everyone reading this to submit their own as well to the Owl Library. Let’s see what we can find out of our beloved members of the Royal Court….’

Fae looked up, lost in thought. What was really needed in order to make history come alive? What was it he most wanted to discover about the Dukes he had heard so much about? Then again, he wasn’t sure he could carry this subterfuge that far. Surely all would know it wasn’t the Olde Widow if he asked would they rather be a foul smelling rose or sweet-smelling slug? What would the Olde Widow want to know….?

‘If it’s to work, you must ask her questions. Think like an old woman, hyuh hyuh,’ the wise old owl hissed.

‘Fine, I guess half the fun is seeing if this will actually work,’ Fae said and then bent his head to the task.

Questions for the Dukes of Al’Khezam

1) How Many Dukes, Counts and Barons’ pledges do you own?

2) How and why did you decide to join your current kingdom? What were the Community/Tribes/Governing features that appealed to you the most?

3) How did you decide on your current Crest and Duchy symbol? What is the meaning behind the symbols and how does it pertain to you?

4) How did/would you come to decide on your Duchy location within the kingdom? Which part of our topography and people appealed to you (The coast? The tribe in it? The land mass?) and what do you intend to do with the land you have?

5) What would be the most interesting geographical feature you’d wish for within your Duchy? Why?

6) How do you plan to give back to your Community, your people and the Kingdom? (Before there is a game, and after)

7) Have you accomplished anything for your Duchy in the past that you are proud of, or are presently working on any project for the benefit of your kingdom, people and land?

A. If yes, please share with us.

B. Would you be interested in involving more of your kingdom members to contribute to your project?

8) Please Rank Tribes available to you (within your Kingdom) from most to least preferred.

a. What are the three most interesting features that interest you in your chosen tribe?

9) What would you do to encourage members’ engagement within your Kingdom?

10) In Al'Khezam every duke will have the liberty to appoint Counts from within his own Duchy to represent the nobles at the House of Lords. Would you appoint those Counts by yourself or would you run elections on a Duchy-wide level within your own community?

11) Share a name of one of your Duchy’s most exciting projects (Organization/Association/or Guild)

12) If you were to ask your brethren Duke two questions, what would you ask?

13) Which of the other Dukes of Al’ Khezam would you want to collaborate with? What project would you like to undertake with him or her?

14) Which project would you like to put forward for the whole nation to contribute to? How will it help Al’Khezam?

Signed,

​The Olde Widow

“It’s dark, it’s dark. I’s can’ts sees,” the owl began to hiss, bringing Fae out of his dreamlike state.

“What—who—oh it’s only you. You can see in the dark you dumb beast.”

Looking around in surprise, Fae realised that the sun was just about to set and that the first of the stars were already twinkling in the twilight sky. “Damn, I’ll be hung by my toes if she catches me, he muttered as he began to tidy the desk, leaving the notice of contest in her outgoing mail, hoping against all hope that she would send it out without realising it. His eyes alighted on the telescope once more and he raced over to it, putting his eye to the device once more. His breath caught as he looked upon the multitude of stars gazing down on Dulminia, his favourite constellation brightest of all. Yes, he would very much like to learn more about the stars and he would dearly love a telescope of his own. Maybe he could drop a few hints to the Olde Widow ahead of his naming day.

Returning to the heavy book on the desk, he turned to the back page, dipped the quill once more and wrote, “Through all their exploits, triumphs and heartaches, they were led by the constellation of Tulip.”

‘Quick, Quicks,’ hissed the owl, as he began flapping his wings in consternation. Fae looked about wildly, noting the quill, the ink, the mess on the desk, the book opened and the feather in the wrong page. Oh, the floor. Not one speck of flour had been left untouched.

Cursing profoundly, Fae began to rush about the office, putting everything back exactly the way he found it, using his own shirt to mop up the spilled ink on the normally pristine desk. He looked at his forged notice once more, making sure he hadn’t left any tell-tale splotches on the expensive vellum. With a sigh of relief, he folded it carefully once more and then left it on the bottom of the pile, placing each letter and missive in the same position it was in before he disturbed it.;

Desk done; it was time to clear up the mess on the floor. First, he swept the flour into a neat pile, polishing the floor until it shone (with his now filthy shirt) and then he gently brushed the flour back over the floor in a zig-zag pattern until he reached the door. Opening it softly, he closed it every so gently, hoping nothing was disturbed by his actions.

He tiptoed down the stairs, but instead of turning to the seat in the hall he usually sat in, he went through the inn, stopping only to change his shirt, grab a blanket, a bottle of wine and a loaf of bread, striding calmly outside the front door, past the guards and then into the courtyard where a ladder lay against the wall. Climbing up it, he reached the top of the flat roof and then lay on his back, hands behind his head, to look up at the night sky until he fell into a sweet, dream-filled sleep.

Duke Usifan Banner

6/20/2019 3:01:30 PM #1

Notice to our community and players:

To the Dukes: please post your answers in this thread along with your Duchy crest, Duchy, Counties, and Settlement names.

The most exciting duke will be determined by Al’Qaum.

The winning Duke will choose one of Al’Khezam’s various astronomers to win an astronomy kit.

Prize description: Whether you are a fortune teller or astronomer or merely a hobbyist, these supplies will help you navigate astronomy and astrology in Elyria. The chart is a mapping of important constellations. The book contains greater detail of the celestial bodies and describes the Elyrian zodiac. The celestial globe is a model of the night sky that will help you locate the constellations any time of year and conveniently fits on your tabletop. Purchasing this item will allow you to redeem the following Standard-quality items from a vendor in-game:

• 1 x Star Chart
  • 1 x Book: "Our Stars and Their Meaning" And the following Artisan-quality item:
  • 1 x Celestial Globe

Participants wishing to be nominated for the astronomer kit must announce their intention in this thread. They must then put forth their plans via a forum post or in writing at Owl-Library.

All Al’Khezam Duke participants will receive 10$ Gift Card to give one of Al’Qaum (Not a member pledged to your Duchy.)

We welcome all Dukes to participate. We would love to learn from everyone about their grand plans.

Duke Usifan Banner

6/20/2019 3:01:44 PM #2

Reserved.

Duke Usifan Banner

6/20/2019 7:00:45 PM #3

Greetings all,

I'd like to begin my post by thanking the esteemed benefactor for this contest, King Usifan of Al-Khezam.

He graciously reached out and extended an invitation for the Dukes of Tryggr, that they may also take part in this Al-Khezam sponsored contest.

So I'm glad to announce that I am accepting King Usifan's offer on behalf of our Dukes, I will also reciprocate the generosity shown by expanding on the overall prize list and offering a "runners-up prize"

Alt text - can be left blank

Prize Description: Wear your Necklace of Fellowship or gift it to a friend.

Keep or gift this beautiful Necklace of Fellowship to a friend or loved one. Comes with a pattern to help you create one or more Necklaces of Fellowship in Elyria. Perhaps you'll create a jewelry shop and start a trend!

• Necklace of Fellowship
  • Pattern for Necklace of Fellowship

Participants wishing to be nominated for the "Necklace of Fellowship" must announce their intention in this thread. They must then put forth their plans via a forum post or in writing at Owl-Library (within Al-Khezam's discord server).

All Tryggr Dukes participants will receive 10$ Gift Card (courtesy of King Usifan) to give to a member of Tryggr - Not a member pledged to your Duchy.

We welcome all Dukes to participate. We would love to learn from everyone about their grand plans.

Questions for the Dukes of Tryggr

2) How and why did you decide to join your current kingdom? What were the Community/Tribes/Governing features that appealed to you the most?

3) How did you decide on your current Crest and Duchy symbol? What is the meaning behind the symbols and how does it pertain to you?

4) How did/would you come to decide on your Duchy location within the kingdom? Which part of our topography and people appealed to you (The coast? The tribe in it? The land mass?) and what do you intend to do with the land you have?

5) What would be the most interesting geographical feature you’d wish for within your Duchy? Why?

6) How do you plan to give back to your Community, your people and the Kingdom? (Before there is a game, and after)

7) Have you accomplished anything for your Duchy in the past that you are proud of, or are presently working on any project for the benefit of your kingdom, people and land?

B. Would you be interested in involving more of your kingdom members to contribute to your project?

8) Please Rank Tribes available to you (within your Kingdom) from most to least preferred.

a. What are the three most interesting features that interest you in your chosen tribe?

10) In Tryggr every duke will have the liberty to appoint a Thane from within their own Duchy to represent them within the House of Dukes. Would you appoint a "Thane" by yourself or would you run elections on a Duchy-wide level within your own community?

11) Share a name of one of your Duchy’s most exciting projects (Organization/Association/or Guild)

13) Which of the other Dukes of Tryggr would you want to collaborate with? What project would you like to undertake with him or her?

14) Which project would you like to put forward for the whole nation to contribute to? How will it help Tryggr?

Signed,

Alt text - can be left blank

6/21/2019 5:53:01 PM #4

Hey guys I like the idea of a lore relating to our main discord public channel “The Olde Widow” and surely looking forward to See the answers to this. “6) How do you plan to give back to your Community, your people and the Kingdom? (Before there is a game, and after)”

6/21/2019 7:22:28 PM #5

Duchy of Falzame:

Aderyn county:
- Falcon’s Nest
Arceian county:
- Androctonus
- Toritsaval
Skadia county:
- Midas
Trixie’s county:
- Point Rally
Unaffiliated settlements:
- Filip’s Home
- Nidus
- Zicola

2 Dukes +1 Mayor (Sister settlement with Gensokyo - dukal seat of Duchy of Kaga in Demalion)

Joined Usifan’s duchy before Al’Khezam was born. Upgraded to duke a bit later. At that time there was only the Community. Tribes/Governing features came later, but I love the Dras since the tribes were published. The Dras, regardless of they history they are embrace life while trying to keep up the balance. They were oppressed, mistreated, but finally they found a place to live in peace. And they are now living where no one wanted before. Their “leaders are expected to be, at the core of their nature, unselfish so they can best serve the community as a whole."

The current Duchy symbol (made by Liva) was intended to the Order of the Grand Flock, but later I realized it pertains more to me and to Falzame.
The Tulip is the symbol of the kingdom. The black and white colorsare symbolizing the duality of life and death and the Drasean religion: Al’Tifali. The wings protects the Tulip as Falzame will protect Al’Khezam and I’ll protect Usifan.

I planned to be a Host (Drasean duke) from long ago, so it was obvious. The swamp of the Dras are full of surprizes. It’s a bit like the Two-Fold Queen. Help to keep the balance. It’s dangerous for those who don’t venerate it, but help those who know it’s secrets.
My plans are changed a lot with the coming of new informations, so I can only say the swamps of Falzame will protect Al’Khezam and the flora will heal the people of Elyria.

Anything that doesn’t fit the swamp. It would make it more varied and it would make more opportunities for players.

I became duke to do that. I know I’m not the most social from the dukes, but I actively searching for people who need help and I think I didn’t turned away anyone who asked for help. And I don’t intend to change that.
Before the game starts I can only help with information and with directing people to the people and domains they’ll fit. After the game starts there will be more. As a duke I’ll do my best to create opportunities for players and support projects that will help in that.

I did nothing yet. Yes, there were a lot of plans, that are still plans or changed or even discarded. But those didn’t make me proud. I need to prove my value in the game. Until that, I’m just a player, who is lucky enough to support SbS with some money.

1. Dras
2. To’resk
3. Neran
Culture, Leadership, Adaptability

Nothing. I don’t want to force anyone into community building while we can’t play or test Coe and we even didn’t selected our domains. I’m sure everyone have their life and if they want to chat, play games or plan their future in CoE, they can do that without any encouragement.

10) In Al'Khezam every duke will have the liberty to appoint Counts from within his own Duchy to represent the nobles at the House of Lords. Would you appoint those Counts by yourself or would you run elections on a Duchy-wide level within your own community?
Elections in Semi-Drasean style. Every count will have a vote pro or contra, so they’ll need to decide if they want to assist or hinder someone.

Herons of Rehadyn.

1. Why did you became a duke? 2. What are your priorities in loyalty?

13) Which of the other Dukes of Al’ Khezam would you want to collaborate with? What project would you like to undertake with him or her?
Anyone who wants to help the kingdom and the people in it. Any project that will help players achieving their goals or at least starting on their journey.

14) Which project would you like to put forward for the whole nation to contribute to? How will it help Al’Khezam?
Building Al’Khezam? It’ll be our responsibility to build a kingdom, where people can live a decent life, found their families, working for their dreams and most importantly have fun playing CoE.

6/29/2019 2:15:47 AM #6

Duchy of Lemuria:

• Arden’s County (Rellik)

• Cenaria’s County (Recurved_)

• Dellanore's County. (Liva)

• Eddesa's County (Shay)

• Meropis's County

• Lassillies's County (graou13)

• Tarsis’s County (Daedhal & Gammea)

• Trevissia’s County (Fieth)

• Wardown’s County (White)

One duchy, Four counties.

I knew Usifan for the first time in Nirath, before the formation of Al'Khezam, and decided to join the duchy as count. later on, upgraded my pledge to Duke to found Lemuria.

The current symbol was made by VandeField, The Tulip is the symbol of the kingdom. ِThe shield with rusted edges represents the stability against harsh days of Elyria and the long nights. The blue color represents the seas and oceans and what beyond. The red represents sacrifice and unity.

I like grassland in general, and I'm fascinated by the architectures style buildings of Neran tribe. The role of adaptability and balance of power give us the options to decide how and where to want to be. I would like to see our lands taken care in terms of agriculture side. rather it to be the basket fruits of Elyria. Also, another side I want to focus on is the superiority in seas.

The land of greens.

6) How do you plan to give back to your Community, your people, and the Kingdom? (Before there is a game, and after)

I chose to become a duke to help the foundation of Lemuria and start the columns with aid from friends with me. I'm intending not to stay forever, And one cannot know what future hides for our destinies. before I go I want to make sure I've fulfilled my mission in establishing Lemuria to aid kingdom and make sure it will sustain against harsh days for the next 10 years.

Participated in the event Raiders of the Lost Vault and won the Sunstone and the Luminary title.

1. Neran.
  2. Dras.
  3. To'resk.

1. Adaptability.
  2. Religion.
  3. Culture.

Nothing. CoE is not out yet neither we can test it out and I can't do anything in that regard, but to be patient.

I would run elections on duchy wide level and select the nominated one.

The Rangers

1. Why did you become a duke? 2. What will be your accomplishes to your community?

Any project that aims to achieve good results that reflect in kingdom-wide level.

When CoE comes out I like to host tournaments same the ones in medieval time to create a sense of competition and test of the challenge as entertainment.

6/30/2019 3:45:24 PM #7

Hello! I plan to be an astronomer in CoE, so I'd like to be one of the contestants on the list to win an astronomer's kit. I'm very interested in the idea of predicting the future from observing the celestial bodies and of being able to lead travelers towards their desired destination, either on land or through the water.

Due to not knowing a lot regarding CoE in this area, it's difficult to say more about it, but I'm open to conversations about it.

I wish good luck to all the participants, and may the luckiest astronomer win!

7/15/2019 7:46:06 AM #8

Nice initiative! Can't wait to see the rest of the duchies!

8/2/2019 3:37:40 PM #9

Grand County of Anorath

Grand County of Angleton

Grand County of Alayviel

Grand County of Sweetwater

County of Bleak Ark

County of Isilme

County of Miruvell

County of Roeking

County of Scherfenberg

Capital of Dawn's Reach

County Capital of Lundan

County Capital of Achelon

County Capital of Liss Nenlaire

County Capital of Crucible

County Capital of Estel

County Capital of Escalante

County Capital of Crowleigh

County Capital of Scherfenberg

Settlement of Holthaeven

Settlement of Coldwaters

Settlement of Theben

Settlement of Ballinpenn

Settlement of Renock

Settlement of Alterac

Settlement of Nandemar

Settlement of Hiero

Settlement of New Haven

Settlement of Londo

Settlement of Nibelheim

Settlement of Alverin

Settlement of Aerthad

Settlement of Wipach

Settlement of Rardoc's place

Settlement of Crooked Tree

Settlement of Myrsinus' place

Settlement of Templemore

Settlement of Medius

Settlement of Waedheald

Settlement of Revinia

Settlement of Wrathelmar

Settlement of Ravenpoint

I currently have one Duke pledge, four counties and way too many mayor titles.

The Duchy of Anor initially choose the Demalion Empire based on the original sample map for the grasslands biome. This was because of our desired tribe of Neran.

We moved over to Al'Khezam to stay true to our original plans of a coastal grassland duchy. We've heard positive remarks that Al'Khezam had a great mature community 😁👍🏼

The symbol of Anor (The Sun) originates from the Elvish name for the Sun. The sun is at the very center of our Duchy's Coat of Arms. Directly above that are 7 stars that each symbolise a Virtue of the Virtori faith. The crown above them represents the Royalty pledge. We then have two noble Lions holding long blades of the Neran either side. The Lions represent courage, justice, power, strength, wisdom, pride and dignity.

The credit of the Coat of Arms goes to Hellmoon 😁

The Duchy of Anor has always sought and recruited directly for a Neran Coastal Grasslands duchy. We had a strong belief that the grasslands was going to be located in the Demalion Empire (based on sample map) however, this information was incorrect.

We decided to move over to the Grasslands for a coastal Duchy based upon our communities preferences and to stay true to the founding preferences that Anor was built upon. We did our research and was heavily impressed with the realm video for Al'Khezam. We had an internal discussion and we moved over 😁

Our desire is to facilitate and protect a vital trade connection that flows through Al'Khezam between the north and south of the Kingdom. This is reinforced by our members commitment to our shipbuilding organisation for trade, exploration and protection of the realm. We aim to use our well established relationships and connections in regards to trade for the benefit of the Kingdom.

We also strive to be known as the "bread basket of Al'Khezam". This is due to our citizen's focus on agriculture and coastal & river fishing. The Neran tribe attracts our members due to the versatility, culture, religion, architecture and military.

The endless grass and farming lands is a vital asset. This is due to our population that has a focus on either farming, animal husbandry and breeding. The rivers and coast offers seafaring exploration and trade into the Kingdom. The river's also provides great irrigation for farming and opportunity for fishing. We can use the desired usability of the geography to benefit our Duchy and the Kingdom for those reasons.

6) How do you plan to give back to your Community, your people, and the Kingdom? (Before there is a game, and after)**

Anor's foundations are built on working together to achieve our goals. These apply before and after the release of CoE. We are fortunate to have a mature community player base that follow these principles.

It is my intention to further work as a bridge between the analysis offered by my own people and the cooperation within the kingdom. I wish to help safeguard the best possible start for our community as a whole also. I will stimulate strong social ties to foster trust as well as keep my people informed locally of kingdom news or events they may wish to be a part of. This ensures they are provided with all the important and relevant information.

We are looking at a community event after DS&S has finished also. Keep tuned 😉👍🏼

As the Duke, I have purchased a fair amount of EP to ensure that suitable infrastructure, buildings and organisations are established for gameplay content for our members. I will ensure that any spare taxes are to be invested back into the community.

Anor has multiple organisations that have been set up prior to the game release. We help direct members into the most appropriate organisation for them. We actively encourage the members within these organisational fields to seek cooperation and exchange of knowledge with players in other duchies within the Kingdom. We also encourage members to contribute on a Kingdom level.

On a Kingdom level, I will support the King both in military support and offer my council if desired. We will look to work together with neighbouring duchies and the Kingdom on projects that benefits Al'Khezam as a whole.

Anor is continuously growing, thus increasing the strength of Al'Qaum. Our community would not be where it was now without every valuable mature citizen of Anor that has joined us. We have continued to strengthen our ties as a duchy in the plague event and Raiders of the Lost Vault. We strive to continue developing our organisations such as the Anorian Guard, Knights of the Sun, Anorian Guilds of Industry and so fourth.

Neran.

Neran? To'resk?

Neran?? Dras?

Versatility

Religion

Military

We encourage our members to join the Kingdom's discord to build relationships with our fellow Al'Qaum. We also keep them informed of any announcements or events they maybe interested in joining in on.

We encourage our members to be polite and helpful with everyone within the Kingdom's community at all times.

We would ideally run elections within our Duchy for the Count or Countess to represent us at the House of Lords.

The Knights of the Sun (Massive amount of player content such as trials to become one!!)

What are your goals within your Duchy? What values represent your duchy best?

Anor will be happy to collaborate with any project that aims to benefit the Kingdom, Duchies, Counties or settlements. Our commitment is to undertake a major infrastructure project around unrestricted access via river to the coast. These will benefit both the Kingdom and surrounding duchies as a whole.

The University of Anor also seeks to work in collaboration on large scale research projects. We are aware of the great potential of these projects within Al'Khezam.

Anor would like to hold tournaments and trade events to build up relationships within the Kingdom and other welcomed guests. We would encourage a friendly competition and beneficial trade from other Kingdoms via our port(s).

We will aim to build the neccessary infrastructure for unrestricted access to the coast but this will likely involve joined up working with the surrounding communities. We would also be interested in joint collaboration in regards to humanitarian aid, for example plague vaccines and so fourth.

9/6/2019 12:21:06 AM #10

Posted By Usifan at

One of Each

Al'Khezam was picked by my community via an informal vote. What appealed to us was the stability and openness of the community and the tribes and resources of the grasslands.

The heraldry of the Demesne would be blazoned as Parted per fess pean and sable, base eagle displayed or.

Pean is a variant of ermine and like ermine is used to denote a member of the nobility but it also commonly carries connotations of military valour, while the sable (black) carries connotations of loyalty. The eagle displayed or (golden spread eagle) is a historically martial bird tying into the previous associations with valour and loyalty.

The land formerly known as Umbervalley (probably still known as Umbervalley at the time of typing) is a very lush duchy in terms of farmland, it's primarily Neran (which I think are the most versatile race) and has good road and waterway connections with the rest of the kingdom.

We intend to protect the nation's borders, to develop militarily and economically and to encourage commerce. Particularly since the lands around the duchy are well suited for farming and possibly cavalry.

Farmlands, while not exactly interesting in the conventional sense are a vital part of any nation. The Qin of the Zhànguó Shídài had a slogan 'fuguo qiangbing' meaning roughly 'a wealthy state, a strong army'. A duchy that can feed its populace can afford a strong army, this ties with the Demesne's focus on defending the nation and with our focus on commercial growth as a well-fed populace can turn their attention to other things.

What makes a gaming community enjoyable more than anything else is fun. We want our members to be able to have fun whatever they focus on and we want our community to engage with us and each other. We intend to run a few events pre-CoE but really where we give back is in Expo and post-launch.

In Expo, we have several plans for widescale infrastructure and defense as well as our Academy project which seeks to train our members in a range of skills (for a small price, since we have to pay their trainers). Post-launch we want to give back to our community by providing them with a protected place where they can grow.

I'm somewhat proud of the Elyrian Institute of Strategic Studies.

While it has not been updated in some time (there was a major article that was made invalid by the destruction of Nirath) the plan of the blog is to apply various understandings of the philosophies of war and see how they match the crucible of Elyria. Eventually, we will have guides for starters looking to play the game in a warfighting role and which strategies and tactics have been attempted, and the successes and failures of these tactics.

Yes! I approach the 'art' of war from the Adaptive Total War philosophy and for the site to truly prosper strategists, tacticians and historians from all philosophies are needed to provide a balance of articles.

Neran Toresk Dras

I like the adaptability of the Neran, they can go to any biome, learn many skills and provide more varied gameplay.

I like the culture of the Neran, I've always been a fan of medieval history and the Neran closely match the society of medieval europe.

I like the virtori religion. Of all the religions discussed so far, it feels the most 'real' which is why I want a chance to explore the religion as well as the secular culture.

I always encourage community members to use discord even if it's just to bitch about their day it allows community member to get to know each other. That said, competitions and events are all part of the planned Zabi calender.

Within the Demesne we have an advisory body called the Curia made up of the nobles and aristocracy of the Demesne it would the duty of the Curia to select members to go to the Lords.

Zabi Academic Society

I was once told that in an ally only two things mattered. First, can he shoot? Second, will he aim at your enemy? Obviously, neither question is entirely appropriate for CoE so I have a few more relevant ones:

1) Can you help us with our projects? 2) Can we help you with your projects?

Hari and I naturally are willing to co-operate with our Zabi experiment.

That said the Demesne is willing to co-operate with our neighbours and allies in a range of defensive and economic ventures.

Defensive planning. While Al'Khezam is friendly with the nations of Selene it has long been said that if you wish peace you must be ready for war. During the Kingdoms of Elyria phase of development, we will learn many of the strengths and weaknesses of our domains. These lessons should be iterated upon and learned from during the exposition period with dukes and barons working in harmony throughout the kingdom to ensure the civilians of the kingdom are able to prosper in peace.

Coming Soon(tm)

9/17/2019 2:41:55 PM #11

Duchy of Asébeia

Sekinah - Sheki's Den

Whitebaker Reach - Ballybattle Town

1 Duke, 2 Counts, 1 Mayor

2) How and why did you decide to join your current Kingdom? What were the Community/Tribes/Governing features that appealed to you the most?

The Duchy originates from Nirath, where I upgraded a Countess title to Duchess. Time passes and events take place, Kings change their plans and burn more than just a beard. With only a few days left to pick a domain and settle, our King left the building. Those few days became a few months -that we learned later - but who could have guessed that, the timeline was set. With change comes new possibilities and Kypiq was not the favorite community tribe.. time to look for something else.

Usifan, once part of Nirath, was not a stranger and Al'Khezam is a welcoming, open, mature community which makes it a stable kingdom and it became the choice of many.

It was created for another biome and tribe, as we were destined to be Kypiq. But you know, magic! One click in the cloud and insta To'resk make-over. The symbol still fits the tribe's biome, Woodland Savanna bordering the Swamps.Though the meaning of it needs some adjustment.. something to work on when new lore is written (soon).

That was more a last second decision. The Duchy was already split, people took the chance to follow their dream and decided to spread out over the Kingdom, to settle in their preferred biome and pick their tribe. I had already decided on tribe but was torn between two Duchies. In the end, that small coastal plot of land was too tempting.

Anything related to growing/having a variety of food. And some nice coast to stage expeditions.. or a highway for trade.. or.. wait, none of that! A lighthouse, there is this spot in that most Eastern point. Make it be perfect for a beacon of light. Please, ... can I have it? Waves with a bag of EP.

6) How do you plan to give back to your Community, your people and the Kingdom? (Before there is a game, and after.)

The community is not mine, nor are the people in it. I am not their leader as they have to follow their own dreams and adventures to enjoy the game to the fullest and have fun, make friends. I won't be around forever, a ten year story where anything can happen, not just in the game.

Before there is a game, listening to plans, give info, share bad jokes..

The Kingdom is build by everyone who is or will be part of it and this unity makes us strong, to work towards the vision of what Al'Khezam is meant to be.

My mission is to make my part of the Kingdom a place to enjoy, grow and chase those dreams. Together with other leaders and the King to the benefit of all. To invest - hello expo - in infrastructure, provide facilities to make their in game lives a little bit easier. To encourage organisations, guilds and settlement leaders by setting up incentives.

7A) Have you accomplished anything for your Duchy in the past that you are proud of, or are presently working on any project for the benefit of your kingdom, people and land?

The trick question.. I am proud of that we did together in the community. Never in those 3 years I did something on my own. We had a bumpy road and we build up something that due to circumstances got split up. All in peace, as friends .. the grass is greener at the other side, try to beat that.

1 Duchess, 1 Count and a handful of people are left (at this stage of DSS). No big plans or project but that will change.

7B. Would you be interested in involving more of your kingdom members to contribute to your project?

Sure.. sent me some more To'resk and we will have some projects. giggles

8) Please Rank Tribes available to you (within your Kingdom) from most to least preferred and what are the three most interesting features that interest you in your chosen tribe?.

Hmm.. you mean there is not only To'resk? I heard about Dras, The Waerd and Neran.. in that order.

To'resk, calculated strong willed and hard to manipulate, with a lot of patience and fully adapted to their environment. (Got that from tribe write up.)

Get them together in Discord. Hangout, have fun because it doesn't have to be serious business all the time. We have time to kill before launch, what is better than hanging out and get to know each other?

Honestly no idea. There is plans to set up a privy council for Counts and I guess it is for them to make a choice. This could be by a 'general' election that they work out.

We had the Mercator merchant/trading project. Had because they moved elsewhere after the burning of Nirath. So why do I menton them here? I believe in them, I am sure we will see them in our neighborhood and I will support any plan they should have for trade with Asébeia.

First, how can we help each other and the second is more out of curiosity.. If you were to roll out an alt, who and why would that be?

All of them in the long run. Distance and such will make it that focus is on nearby Dukes and in my case the King is close in those swamps. Exploration and trade would be a nice thing. As for a long term project with a Duke.. get some Kypiq in our lands.

Al'Khezam is the project. How we can help and what we can contribute is a bit of a mystery yet.. needs a few more people to shoulder a project.

9/19/2019 10:43:44 AM #12

Posted By Usifan at 5:01 PM - Thu Jun 20 2019

All Al’Khezam Duke participants will receive 10$ Gift Card to give one of Al’Qaum (Not a member pledged to your Duchy.)

My winner is Scylurus.

9/20/2019 7:36:35 AM #13

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/20330/eu-duchy-of-feann

Duchy of Feann

Just the Duke title and the titles that come with it.

Mostly we wanted a kingdom in which the overall goals, community and desires matched up with our own. Personally, I don't really care aobut neither the biomes, tribes or anything of that sort. What matters to me is the community that resides there, the people I'll be playing with and surrounded myself with, as well as the mindset behind.

Scylurus saw something similar to the Pawskelion on the internet, so he decided to fool around and make his own with it in GIMP. (originally wanted to do something with a bear paw, didn't work at all, that paw pad was too big) It looked good. He showed it to all of us. We liked it. The end.

Well, to be fair we did initially come to decide on a coastal grasslands biome. Not so much because it was neither coastal nor grasslands, but because of its' geopolitical location in regards to neighbours, resources and ideal location for future plans. However, as we all know, that dream didn't come to fruition. So instead, we essentially dropped most of our existing dreams and plans and looked at what other opportunities were out there. And one in particular struck at us as a bit of a hidden gem, based on the knowledge we had at the time and the desire of others. The Duchy formerly know as Silverstone, had a prime location in terms of the geopolitical landscape. We have always wanted to be a primarily mercantile domain, fuelling the economy of Al'Khezam, and this requires us to have a fairly decent location in terms of everyone else. Not necessarily central, albeit that is where we ended up. Being closer to the kingdom capital is great in terms of both defense and economic activity, as well as the foreign resources that lay within reachable distance of our domain. These are prime opportunities for us to do what we'd like, that is, become the production powerhouse of the Kingdom.

100% access to the coast in some way or another. My major gripe with the location is that we have no waterway that leads to the oceans, which can potentially make logistics more difficult for us in the future. We have some ideas on how to reduce the impact of this, but lets see what the future brings.

I feel like Feann at large have been very vocal and active in the community. We hold quite a few positions within the kingdom and have spent a lot of time trying to push the Kingdom in the direction that it would like to go. We will continue to do this and hopefully continue to see the community improve. I mean, just look at our favourite bear and all his writing, the chorus of memes from our very own meme-lord Sanguinesh and the infinite discussions from our great Luminios.

Me, personally, have a dream of helping the Al'Khezam economy reach its' absolute peak by introducing a framework for conducting trade and logistics, allowing the entire kingdom to work together towards common goals. Not only that, but should also hopefully make it a lot easier for individuals to buy/sell the goods they need, hopefully leading to increasing economic activity and allowing a broader community to form than what is "just within range". It's a project that will have its' roots in the duchy and several people are already on-board helping me with it (GIANT shoutout to Pasu and Kellock). This has also expanded into a cross-kingdom project in the form of the Selene Commerce Consortium together with Calligo, Darhk, Arebs and more.

Other than the above, we have a few different projects by some of our members: Scy and his library/school, where we hope research and knowledge will be plenty. Rofus (while technically not in Feann) is working on an alchemy guild. Watch out for his ideas of Explosive Ink! Kellock and his projects of culture and construction. Onil, Drake, Manorka & their Order of the Black Fang which is a RP-PvP group.

Of course. Anyone would be most welcome to join any of these ventures.

To'Resk > Neran > Dras > Waerd > Janoa

To'Resk architecture looks absolute s1ck. It's sort of a blend of european medieval fantasy and asian architecture. It's glorious. To'Resk are focused on mercantilism and production focused society, which are the two things I personally care the most about. Their high focus on Mental and Social stats, are something I think will be very useful come the game release.

Engage the people! I mean, it's not a particularly difficult task, based on previous experience. Everyone has their own dreams, own goals, own preferences for fun, own desires and their own quirks. Why don't more people play into that? My primary goal with my own settlement, is that of the new-player experience. As can be read in my post about Caparian (AKA Cap Town), the town's focus is on enabling players to do the things that they like. This will be done by creating an environment in which people have the freedom to do exactly that. I believe, that by creating such an environment in which people have the most freedom to exercise and project their own desires, they will also do their best work. Caparian, and by extension Feann, will have this as our core focus. How can we best serve you? How can we best generate the value that you care about? How can we make sure you are having fun? For Caparian, that will be done through helping new players get started with settling down, having skillful mentors who can help them get started in their chosen area of expertise and helping people help everyone else.

Why not both? I don't believe in pure democracy. There are simply too many people who couldn't care less and allow their votes to be swayed one way or the other, but the most miniscule of things. But I also don't believe in dictatorship, because one person can never have the right answers to everything. There is always a need for a guiding hand, but the voice of the people must be heard.

Shoutout to the newcomers of the Order of the Black Fang and their project. I see a lot of synergies between what they are doing and what the duchy needs going forward, and I look forward to working together with them and see how their exciting project will progress.

What can we do, to make sure our individual communities do not become their own silos, resulting in reduced collaboration? What can we do, to avoid our individual communities just trying to grab the biggest possible slice of the cake for themself, but instead foster a desire for creating a common healthy community?

I don't see a need to point out anyone in particular. Unlike many others, I don't believe distances will become a big hinderance to those who make proper use of out-of-game tools. EVE Online had giant distances and yet, even there, we saw alliances and coalitions project their power to the direct opposite side of the galaxy through clever plans and proper communication. I believe the same can happen for a unified community with a clear common goal. I'd like to work with the other dukes (and individuals!) of Al'Khezam to shed light on this common goal and, together, work towards it.

Shameless plug for my own project of the 'Selene Commerce Consortium'? I think there is a lot to be gained for the entirety of Al'Khezam, and in extension Selene, to create a common structure for conducting trade and logistics across vast distances. Preparing ourself as much as possible to break free from the chains of scattering and silos should be a core priority. If we can create convenient and efficient systems to help everyone with their daily gameplay, we will increase collaboration and efficiency. If we don't, we'll become too disconnected from each other and lose our sense of unity. And that unity should reach beyond close neighbours, neighbouring domains and even kingdom borders.