COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
[Event] (Drunken Tales Pt.1!)

Brought to you by the Free Mann Tavern (NA-E)

Bi-Weekly Event (6/16/2019)-(7/01/2019)

(Drunken Tales Pt.1!)

The contest is simple!

Each participant will write down there own tavern short story. It can be anything from a calm ,and fun night with friends ,and good beer! To one begging the question "Why were you removed from the premises?". The stories will be judged by originality ,and how creative you make it.

To Participate Submit Entries in this post.

🍺Each participant shares there tavern own tavern short story!

🍺 The story you write can involve the legendary tavern or your own special tavern!

🍺The story can be any length.

🍺The three best stories will be chosen by tavern staff and will be rewarded!

🍺The event will end on July 1st, 2019, 00:00 EST!

🍺All Kingdoms/ Servers can participate

Prizes!

1st Prize: The all Elusive ,and Exclusive.. Deviant Package!

2nd Prize: (5) Golden Chalices!

Participation Prize: A Mystery ,but locked box?

(Prizes ,and winners will be announced within three days after the event. Winners will be announced on the forums ,and notified through forum mail.)

Rules

⦁ One Entry per (Player/Account)You can Participate in the other events!

⦁ Your work must be original. Any form of plagiarism is not allowed.

Failing to comply with these rules will make you DISQUALIFIED.

Click here for more information about the Tavern

Good luck All!

6/17/2019 7:54:51 AM #1

Post is in google drive. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MhMU7GHAu8RZM-MY1bRclP1rIoprn8hbYAIsSwE9iX8/edit?usp=sharing

6/17/2019 2:12:54 PM #2

So a Brudvir, a Kypiq, And a Waerd walk into The Free Mann...

The Brudvir has a Dryas Elk...

The Kypiq has a Squirrel...

And The Waerd has a Goat...

The Bartender looks at them and says...

"What is this, some kind of a joke?"

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

6/17/2019 5:20:23 PM #3

"So if I'm being faithfully honest here.. I think it all started when I decided to have my... twenty seve.. no twenty eight round of the night?" he paused a moment to reflect and scratch his scruffy hair, the cell you both found yourself in smelled at the very best unclean, and at the worst.. well somethings are better left unsaid.

"we'd just returned from a scouting expedition, and we wanted to celebrate and blow off a bit of steam, but I don't remember leaving the tavern" He'd began to continue before a guard began to chuckle "Sir, You ran through the streets, naked, covered in feathers, having attempted to steal; unsuccessfully, Six chickens from your neighbors coop, because you wanted to tie them together, leap off the cathedral and fly off into the forest. We found you leading them around on twine as you tried to climb the side of the church."

The Scraggly man stood slackjawed a bit and then gave a smile "It probably would have worked too!"

6/18/2019 10:07:13 AM #4

It was a dark and rainy night with no real end in sight so I ducked into the tavern with my trusty travelling owl. We found a booth in the corner, order a beer and settled in. The night grew cold, so I ordered a glass of whiskey, and it did it's job keeping me warm, by that time the band starting playing and the place livened up. After some time, I wanted to try something new, so I ordered the rarest wine the tavern had. They had one bottle of it, unmarked, dusty, with a mushroom shaped cork. I took the bottle to my table, and decided to share a drink with my bird. I can't remember how it tasted, it's all kind of a blur at this point. After the first couple of sips, my bird suggested I try and join in on the impromptu arm wrestling competition unfolding just across the bar. I concurred, sure I'm an academic and merchant, but I was here for something different. Besides, owls are supposed to be wise, right? I actually won my first match, some hrothi who had way too much drink and not enough control. I was feeling confident, as was the next challenger. he was a 4 foot wide, 8 foot tall son of a brudvir with a wild mane on his head and a few dozen pints in his stomach. He grabs my hand, and pulls down with such force that the table breaks and I'm thrown down from my chair, shattering it as well. I couldn't believe it. But I stood up and went back to my booth, hanging my head in defeat, expected, but new to me in this arena. I call it a win. After another couple of beers, I noticed my owl was missing. I asked the other tables near me if they had seen him. Nobody could remember a bird, so I pressed on. After another half hour of looking, the security detail of the tavern came to me. They said I owed 426 gold coins to the house for losing a game of cards. I tried explaining to them that I was arm wrestling, not playing cards. They didn't buy the reasoning as my arms were twigs compared to most around that area. So I asked, then why was I not at the card table when they came to me? They said my companion lost several bets and refused to pay. I claimed I didn't have a companion, except for my owl. They said they knew that, and he's why I'm owing money. I was astounded and flabbergasted that they'd expect me to pay for someone elses bad hands, so I refused to pay. Next thing I remember is being hurled outside into the rain to "sober up", my trusty owl flying out with me.

6/18/2019 12:41:16 PM #5

Recipe Thief

"The Cozy Cavern Tavern has many things, but it lacks one thing the legendary tavern has and it's..." "Renown?" the barmaid interrupts before I can continue "No it's..." " A stage with a good band?"she blerps. "No it's the secret recipe for Naran Whisky!"

"Ahh yes a lot of people come here from all over for the Naran Whisky would you like a glass?" She asks polity while wearing the famed bunny maid outfit.

"Yes Give it to me no ice" then whispering under my breathe "...and the recipe that I long for more than anything." "what did you say?" she asks "Oh just no ice my dear I drink slow and don't want it watery by the time I am halfway though."
"yes sir it is on it's way!" She says cheerfully. she then turns to make the fabled drink as I look around suspiciously with bloodshot eyes. The lack of sleep over this recipe is driving me mad! Once I have it, my tavern with surely not be the failure it is now and I can Finally sleep all the woman will want me and all the mann will want to be me baby!

She sets the drink down I pay the tab and ask"this Ale is wonderful Did you make this yourself?". "Me? Oh no I don't make the ale they say the recipe is only known by one man, they say he is a count in the sandy kingdom but he seems to live in the backroom." she says ditsy like
"You mean Fortuna?". "The very same!" she claps her hands together. I can't tell if she is dumb or she thinks I am too dumb to know the kingdom names. I suppose I should have never said I am from Vornair.

"you said he lives here?" I ask. "well pretty much he has to make all of the whisky but I haven't seen him all day he must be recruiting for his march north" she says with a gleam in her eye. I sit and drink for a bit before she is off helping another customer and look and find a room behind the kitchen good thing this place is busy they hardly noticed me back here. I pull out my skeleton key that works on every lock and put it in the door as I twist the key it breaks... I look at the back of the key and it says "made in kairos" At the point a big man is standing behind me

"Looks like your lost bub." someone says in a deep voice I turn around to see no ones there with a sigh of relief I turn around twist the knob surprisingly it was unlocked then I get grabbed by him. he is about 4ft tall and a bulky Hrothi (the very same who was tossed on my table all those years ago) who picks me up and tosses me out of the tavern he was going to beat me up before the maids stopped him and we all know how persuasive the bunny maids can be... better luck next time...

6/28/2019 2:05:49 AM #6

There is still three-ish days left to participate in the event! Good luck everyone!

6/28/2019 7:10:51 AM #7

If walls could talk...

The yellow hue of the early morning sun shot violently through the window. Awakened by the natural but abrupt stimulation, my eyes, dehydrated and dry struggled to open. Sluggishly I began to look around and make sense of my surroundings. I looked first at the bed I was laying in, unfamiliar to me I lifted up and examined the sheets and blankets that covered me. Nothing was ringing a bell.

I continued to examine the rest of the room. My eyes drifted to a night stand made of simple wood and on it was the first item that felt familiar. Embarrassingly, there sat my trousers. In my daze I hadn’t even noticed my total lack of clothing.

The now uncomfortable feeling of nakedness filled me with my first desire to move. I had to retrieve those sole survivors of my memory and restore them to my possession. I sat up slowly and as I began to roll my weakened body towards the edge of the bed it seemed as if the entire room had begun to spiral around me at an incredible speed. I grabbed my head in a feeble attempt to steady the twisting of my perception.

With my head in my hands, fingers gripping my hair, I leaned up and positioned myself at the edge of the bed. Several minutes passed before I was able to lift my head to a more comfortable position but as I did I began to see a clearer picture of this mysterious room that I had found myself in. It seemed familiar, not the room itself but the situation… My trousers were joined by a train of other pieces of my clothing creating a trail that began just inside the door with my worn leather boots and ended at the side table with my trousers.

I took a deep breath and fighting through the splitting head ache and blurry vision began to pull my trousers onto my legs. I continued this struggle as I followed the trail I had apparently left myself the night before, putting on one piece of clothing at a time as I made my way to the door which remained ajar.

Gently, I reached one hand forward and pulled the door back enough to look into the hallway. With my first peak into the hall, my mind reached another level of clarity. It was a common path that I had stumbled many times before. The door swung open the rest of the way as I cautiously stepped out of my once blurry confusion.

Leaning against one wall to steady my still weak legs, I followed the hall, past several shut doors. As my new found crutch reached its end I looked up at the main seating area of a tavern. A classic view of tables and chairs, none existing in the orientation in which they were intended to sit. Next to them were bottles of varying liquors, emptied and strewn about between the semi conscious bodies of the local alcohol enthusiasts.

I spotted the front door and began to traipse my way along the most direct path I could find when a disgruntled yet soft voice broke the silence of my escape.

“Have a good one”

Focused on removing myself from the war torn bar room I remained on course but politely threw up a hand behind me and waved at the voice as I stepped out of the front door and into what seemed like the genesis of a new life. Bathed in warmth and blinded by the sun I took a deep breath of the fresh grassland air.

After a few moments enjoying my resurrection, I looked back over my shoulder and smiled. A brightly colored and well decorated sign sat among the poppies.

The Freemann Tavern

“Classic” I chuckled to myself.

6/28/2019 10:21:48 AM #8

02/06/804

After days of pondering their suspicions, it would be in my best interests to leave now. I’ve seen paranoid people have the correct assumptions and avoided the guardhouse or guillotine as a result. I’ve seen oblivious people assume nothing and now left with nothing. So I’d rather be paranoid and wrong, than oblivious.

I’ll pack up now, travel north and find new opportunities in Fen Toh as the Waerd and Brudvir reside in Fenyu with Toreshian merchants passing through on the regular. So I can still maintain a steady income from my waterproof products. I’m particularly interested in the skin of the Brudvir. I believe there are some interesting products with which can be produced from such complex material.

03/01/804

I’ve never had such a safe journey as I have travelling to Fenyu. Religion is taken very seriously in this Neran duchy and I suspect that’s the reason why very few bandits and armed gangs roam the countryside. Those that do are not of Neran descent but the patrolling Inquisitors and their band of followers are quick to disperse the villainous.

Excitement quickly consumed me as I saw the number of Brudvir and Waerd working and wondering the towns and villages on my way through to Fenyu. Due to my home location, we tend not to see many, if any, of the sort. It’s common for my fellow Toreshian merchants to never return from their travels so no one will suspect foul play there. I just worry about the increasing number of missing Brudvir and Waerd individuals. I will play it smart with my Waerd and Brudvir subjects and anticipate that in the near future local folks will suspect one of the new residents.

03/03/804

The Dreaded Catch tavern sees Janoan, Dras, Neran and Waerd visitors. I think I will need four Waerds for now, two male two female, if possible. The Instinct Trigger concoction is prepped and ready. But the Janoans won’t fight the Waerd. They’re too proud to fight those who are smaller and weaker. I’ve learnt however that if you give the target, who is of a smaller stature, an unfair advantage over unarmed Janoan's, this is enough to make them a target. So the plan is to buy Hrothi grade armour and weaponry, hire Waerd workers and use them to flaunt the gear in The Dreaded Catch. Rub together the concoction, triggering Janoa’s hunting instincts which will hopefully focus their aggression on my heavily geared workers.

Though the Janoans in Fen Toh tend to be more docile having integrated in a safer and less tribalistic society, with less need to hunt for their own food, I have full confidence in my concoction’s potency.

03/04/804

In Fen Toh, generations of living in the semi-arid environment has caused the Waerd and the Janoan’s to have the same tone complexion. Though that doesn’t lead me to believe they share similar properties. I do sometimes wonder if the Waerd skin possesses some of the qualities Janoans have as the Kypiq and the southern Neran share the same tone yet both provide the materials needed to create my Dryas Saddle Stabiliser.

If I can at least produce the Grade II Undershirt using Waerd skin rather than Janoan, it’ll ease the logistical planning required as grabbing unconscious Waerd people will be much easier. I’m also hopeful of what new products can come from the Waerd.

03/15/804

I have the armour and the weapons. I’m armed with my pocketbow and forearm pads for when I cannot avoid a fatal swing from a Janoan. Now to find four willing Waerd subjects. E'en will be busiest day in the tavern so I hope to take a few more people if possible. But for now I cannot contain my excitement to probe and experiment with the Waerd for the first time.

03/19/804

Though I couldn’t find 2 females, I did manage to bring home 2 males. I couldn’t have done anything to get the other two. I later learned that the third male died in the brawl having not properly fitted his helmet while the fourth is still recovering from his injury’s. I’m not disappointed. I do have two Waerd males to analyse.

I’ve see some intense brawls in the jungle taverns down south, but this was the first time I had seen Janoans outnumbered and unarmed fighting armed men of less physically impressive tribes. It was an enthralling display of athleticism and the colossal power these Janoans hold, while incredibly frightening for the locals to witness. This was their first time seeing such aggression from a Janoa and it may impact my ability to continue with my business.

I will document the brawl to the best of my ability so I can continue to study the Janoa and the challenges they face trying to integrate in more lawful societies.

We walked into the tavern with my four Waerd men dressed in some of the most impressive gear seen around Fen Toh. It quickly caught the eye of the locals, including the two Janoan men and female drinking at the corner table. I spoke to the people about the gear, intentionally avoiding the price so as to maintain their retention, and said it was made from the same metals The Fenrir Slayer used to protect himself against the Howling Beast of Mount Annslock. I knew I’d have an easier time selling stories to the Nerans as they lack the intelligence us Toreshians are born with. Nerans seem to believe what I say if I behave enthusiastically, charmingly and present myself as an extensive traveller well versed on the world and history of Elyria. They respect seemingly knowledgeable people.

I finished my presentation, sat close to the 3 Janoans and ordered a drink. They appeared neutral throughout the presentation. I was struck with how reclusive they were compared to the Janoans in the jungle. Their stripes were slightly faded. Looking around the tavern, I thought people will run to the door once the Janoans start brawling. I hope that will buy enough time to stop guards coming in. But I had a better idea that will also draw more attention to my suited up men.

Underneath the table, I began to rub the Instinct Trigger concoction together with my fingers and thumb, two green herbs dispersing a flowery scent as the tiny grey seeds floated to the floor. With just a few minutes before the scent reached the Janoans and takes its course, I told one of my guys to help pull our table towards the door. We didn’t fully block the door but just enough to not be able to open it. He then stood on the table, flaunting his armour to the cheers of the audience. As he began animating the battle between The Fenrir Slayer and the Howling Beast, I noticed one Janoan stand up and speak to the tavern owner.

My educated guess is that he was ordering food, meat most probably. I backed into the wall, close to the door. The ever familiar anxious feeling began to build as I envisioned the inevitable bloodshed coming. Wearing monk robes, it is not enough to appear weak and vulnerable to avoid being the prey. Often people are maimed or even killed just being within their vicinity. As was the case this day.

At the drop of a hat, the male and female Janoans sitting at the table grappled one another and pummelled without blocking the others punch. Simultaneously, the male Janoan speaking with the tavern owner turned with eyes like a tiger staring at my guy making a show on the table. He sprints towards his prey, leaping onto the tables knocking Nerans in the head with his shins and knees. Barrelling through the crowded tables sending ale splashing through the air, he was unstoppable before pouncing. My guy yelped, not knowing how to handle his sword as the Janoan flew into him smashing his knees into the chest plate echoing that famous clankping sound Hrothi grade armour makes. I felt the thudding vibrations on the wall as he was squeezed into it. The armour was enough to protect him from death by blunt force.

The Janoan laid into him so mercilessly, that the leather shoulder straps from the armour broke. My thickened armour straps would’ve held up better. His armour was the only thing keeping him alive but before the Janoan thought to rip it off, some Nerans began throwing their tankards at the Janoan. They were infuriated after their wives and friends had been knocked out cold in the commotion.

The attackers rushed to throw the Janoan off the table but were stopped by his long slender legs sweeping and straight kicking. The force of his kicks clearly shook a few and they were quick to back off. Guards outside were pounding on the door screaming at us to open it but their screams were drowned out by the cursing and bawling from inside. At this point I started thinking about how to get my guy out. I needed to pull the table to open the door. I started rescuing those who were knocked unconscious and not involved in the brawl, hurrying them to the door so they can escape, blocking the guards from entering. My other three models were being harassed to protect their husbands who were being thrown around the tavern like ragdolls. I suddenly remembered the other two Janoans fighting each other at the table, looked for them and they too were engaging in the brawl. It was hopeless trying to fight back but they did. I stopped for a moment and watched the show. Some covered their heads with their arms and cowered. Others swung as furiously and as aimlessly as they could. Each Janoan was outnumbered and on the back foot for a few moments but their natural stamina, willpower and higher resistance to blunt trauma would eventually give them the upper hand. This is when things turned serious as the Janoans were slowly walking through the retreating huddle of Nerans, flinging them out one by one from the middle with such energy that parts of the wooden tables were breaking.

I snapped out of it knowing the Waerd subjects were more important than the spectacle. Myself and the crowd trying to get out eventually forced my other 3 armed Waerd guys to protect the Nerans. They reluctantly drew their swords as we pulled the table. Though I would’ve liked to have seen them fight, I dragged the unconscious Waerd outside as he was being trampled on by the group. I dragged him to the horse cart and placed him inside, taking off the weapons and armour and hiding it from thieving eyes.

As I rushed back in, I wondered what I’d need to do if the brawl was over. Though I wasn’t gone long, it was enough time for the Janoans to rip through the crowd of people who foolishly fought back. Had the Neran’s left them alone, the fearsome Janoan’s would have reciprocated. Both sides fought out of self-defence. I shouldn’t say they were foolish. Those who haven’t travelled the jungle, or tried to waylay Toresk merchants protected by Janoan mercenary’s, would have no idea what it’s like to fight a Janoan.

We could hear orders being barked from inside the tavern. The guards were engaging. I rushed back in hoping to drag another of my guys out but instantly stopped when I saw the Janoans armed with some of the guard’s spears. I didn’t think this far ahead. At this point I felt fear for the first time after instigating a brawl. How far are they going to go? In the jungle you know when the fights stop. It appears the less tribalistic Janoan’s have less self-control and the society they reside in lacks the order of their forefathers native communities. Out of sheer bravery or greed, I ran in to grab the closest flattened Waerd on the floor. So long as I don’t fight back, I’m safe. Most of those who were standing huddled together when I left, are now strung out over the tables and on the floor. Those few still conscious were laying against the wall behind the five Neran guards still standing. Squaring off with the Janoan’s, the guards were holding up well after seeing their 3 comrades killed in what would most probably have been a few quick swifts and stabs. The strong-willed captain barking orders and maintaining discipline kept these guards motivated to fight and in solid formation.

Though had they been fighting Janoan’s from the jungle, it would’ve been a completely different turn of events. These three Janoan’s while speedy and swift in their attacks, were let down only by their lack of experience in armed to armed combat. The 360 shield formation kept the guards alive and lead to a tit for tat with spears. The force of the spear hitting the shield would eventually fatigue the guard’s arms and shoulders. Leaping back and forth and changing directions with the agility of a Canis Rabbit, the Janoan’s were able to hit the shield and avoid getting hit.

After throwing the second into my horse cart, the fear of going back inside overwhelmed me. There was no doubt the Janoan’s, with their physical advantages, would’ve overwhelmed the guards eventually. I was already fatigued from the heat of the day and I might find myself caught between them and guard reinforcements. These two would’ve woken up at that point. So I made the smart decision to leave, feeling extremely disappointed having lost 2 others. Someone interrupted my thoughts as he aggressively asked what I was doing with the two unconscious body’s in my cart. Wearing the monks robe I softly stated that these were my friends and that I’m taking them to the House of Healing. He understood and let me go on my way. These guys will believe anything if I present myself in a certain way, and respect anything said or done if it’s to do with their religion. There’s nothing I couldn’t get away with if I claim its what their God wants.

I must find a new means of carrying people away. This method attracts too much attention and will lead to nobles wanting to investigate the situation. Though the buzz I felt for this one was stronger than the rush I’ve felt before, this isn’t sustainable. I could do it in the jungle as it was part of day to day life. When the Janoans are in their prime, it’s a sight to behold. It was impressive enough to watch them battle it out with each other until one could no longer fight. But I didn’t truly appreciate the strength, agility and athleticism until I witnessed E'ens brawl. It was like watching a big cat taking down fearful, clueless prey panicking and trying to survive by herding together like bison’s except with the self-defence abilities of a deer.

For now, I’m going to concentrate on the two I do have left still. I’m already aware the time to reach dehydration is longer with the Waerd, which will require more time for my studies. Despite the longer duration of my studies, I’m eager to find new discovery’s.

As the Brudvir don’t visit taverns, I will travel further north to Brudvir territory in the near future. Taking them from Fenyu will further heighten suspicions as the Waerd residents begin to go missing. I don’t yet know how I’m going to carry unconscious Brudvir subjects to my home. And I worry the strength they possess with the potential to break out of shackles and cages. The time spent planning will be spent worthwhile nevertheless. I believe their skins resilience to cold could possibly extend the life of some of my products which would otherwise crack under exposure to the extreme cold.

6/29/2019 11:02:48 PM #9

The Latern

The cart trundled in to the courtyard, the horses hooves clattering on the cobblestones, alerting those inside the tavern of it's arrival. the back of the cart was lowered and sturdy planks were put in place. barrels too heavy to be lifted by hand where rolled on to the ground and into the cellar below.

Some men emerged to help maneuver them into the cellar where a hooded and cloaked figure waited, instructing the men with a calm cool voice, Having the men place each barrel placed in their specific spot alongside the half full remaining barrel of the last shipment.

Before the men even finished with the first set of barrel the hooded man had disappeared, and nobody asked where he went as they were all accustom to his strange behavior.

It wasn't until later in the day when the tavern began to be busy did anyone see the hooded man, alone in a corner, lamp on the table unlit. not long after dark three more hooded men arrived sat at the table and stared at each other. No ale was drunk, no food eaten and no words exchanged for hours.

Once the tavern begun to empty onto the streets its stumbling patrons did the men talk. whispers of a foreign tongue were heard from the workers of the tavern.

Only when threated to be thrown in stocks by the town guard, the three men left the tavern. When the tavern workers went to clean the table where the three had sat they noticed the lamp was gone. one of the workers raced outside to see if he could get the lamp back. when he opened the door he found dead guardsmen and the lamp dented and balanced atop the head of one of the guards.

7/1/2019 2:36:10 PM #10

Waking Up in the Mud

So there I was, actually I’m not sure where the hell I was when I awoke in a muddy puddle in the middle of the road just outside a small tavern. My body aching all over, a busted lip, and bloody nose, it had been a long time since I felt this kind of pain. To add insult to injury my coinpurse is gone and my horse nowhere to be seen. What happened last night, did my latest scam catch up to me?

I crawled out of the puddle and stood up, muddy water dripping from my once fairly nice lavender skirt, for the love of god i’ve got cold water in my boots. I couldn’t help but cry out, “This is already one of the worst days ever!” Oops, now all five people on the same road as me are looking at the crazy, dirty lady. Maybe I can get dry and get something warm in the tavern. Plus there has to be an answer to what happened last night in there.

As soon as I crossed the threshold into the Tavern the portly man behind the bar looked up with a smile. This wasn’t the kind of smile I’m used to, generally I get the smiles from men that are trying to impress me. I’ll easily admit, I’m not a good person, I use my looks and my charm to take advantage of well to do men. I’m not a bad person, I only target men who have extra coin to spare. I digress, the smile I was receiving was not one of trying to impress me but it was one amusement. My face became flush, something bad happened last night, something embarrassing. Calmly I approached the bar keep trying to act cool, I sat down and in a calm voice asked, “So what happened last night, I think I took a blow to my head?”

The barkeep quickly turned his smile into a full bully laugh as he through a rag at me, “your nose is still bleeding,” he then reached under the bar and pulled out a small mirror and placed it near me. “I’m not surprised your don’t remember anything Ava…” The portly man paused, he called me Ava, that’s my alias and the one I use when I’m working, ….”or is it Mattie? Either way you had one of hell of night. We were all entertained.”

Oh crap he knows my nickname and probably my real name. I must have been really drunk last night. I lower my head in shame and simply ask, “can you be so kind as to give me a recap of what went down last night?” The bartender gives one big chuckle, places a coffee mug in front of me and fills it to the brim. “Sure, I might as well get the practice, this story will be around for years.”

The barkeep started his story,

Last night was pitch black out, the clouds blocked out the moonlight and the wind whipping through the trees made it a creepy night. The more superstitious in town were already here drinking talking about bad omens. It was a normal night to start with, a bunch of men in here after working all day in the fields. Then you walked through that door in your fancy clothes. We rarely get travelers in here and it's more rare to have an attractive lady. You came through that door not in an expected gentile manner for a lass that dressed the way you do but very assertive and that immediately drew the attention of everyone in the bar. It was as if you had been in a rush, you came over to me and introduced yourself as Ava and asked about a room, which by the way you paid for but decided to sleep in the street.

Anyway, you took your bag up to the room and came back down and sat at the bar. That is when my fun night really started. Slowly the guys in here built up the courage to come up to you and lay down their best lines. It was the funniest thing. Eric, one of my regulars sensed your competitiveness and challenged you to a drinking challenge. You looked like you knew better but accepted anyways. The amount of beer you downed was impressive. Neither one of you won but you both were very drunk after several pints. Then you had the whole room enthralled as you were telling stories of far off lands we have never heard of. Some of the men believed you had to of been a pirate or royalty or someone important to have traveled so far and wide.

As you were telling your stories some of the wives and girlfriends started to show up and sat over on that side of the bar and just scowled at you. Their men didn’t even notice them which only made them more mad. As much as I was enjoying the show I started to worry about how much was going to cost when the fight broke out. Then this fancy dressed lad from Angston burst through the door with two of his henchmen.

The place went silent as he walked straight up to you and called you Mattie and accused you of stealing his money. Then he went on this long spiel about what he would do if you were a man and that you aren’t really a lady but a harpy. I thought it was the alcohol talking when you challenged him to fight. I figured a lady like you, or what I assumed, would have dueled with swords but you were adamant about using fists. The women over in the corner were so excited that you were going to fight that man, they were hoping you were going to get clobbered. You actually gave the fella a free punch, which he writhed over taking. He ultimately did and gave you a nice shiner, your left eye is going to look pretty bad for awhile. Anyway, after that blow you somehow kept on your feet, you stumbled a bit but you stayed up. When you got your balance, it was amazing, you marched right up to him and unleashed a fury, within a couple of blows he was down on the ground and you were on top of him still pounding away. His men pulled you off when the fancy fella was knocked out.

As the bartender recounted the night, some of last night started to come back, I was fleeing that guy from Angston. He was my latest mark. He had learned of my past and realized he was my latest mark. I fled, got lost and ended up here at the tavern for the night. I held up the small mirror and looked at my face. It was a wreck, my eye was definitely black but how did my nose and upper lip get busted open and all of the other bruises on my face? Why did my body hurt so bad?

The barkeep noticed the questioned look on my face through the swelling and bruises.

The barkeeper continued the saga,

So you don’t have a clue how the rest happened, eh? Well after fancy pants was dragged out of here you sat back down at the table you were at and the men circled around you and asked about how you learned to fight and if you were ever in the army. To be honest we have never seen the kind of moves you used, it was a sight to behold and very scary all at the same time. Plus the savagery you showed was nothing we have ever witnessed in ladyfolk before.

You talked about how serving as a ranger and scout for some army and a few tales of what you had done and then how you had never lost a brawl. Well that was until last night I guess. Regardless the ladies on the other side were becoming more incensed at you, their men still had no idea they were there. You were the center of the world, which seemed natural to you.

You were talking for awhile longer and Theoderich began laying on his charm thick. The other men were trying to lay their charm on as well but Theoderich was laying it down thicker. The bad thing was Renie was watching the whole thing. She was staring right through you. It was scary, Renie has always been such a sweet and gentle girl it was like she was demon possessed.

Anyway, something must have snapped in Renie, she stood up grabbed a glass mug from her table and marched right over to you. Before you could have realized she was there she swung that glass and blasted you right in the face, the mug didn’t even break but blood flew through the air. Then a loud roar of cheering ensued from the ladies and the men all stepped back in shock. You fell to the ground and tried getting back to your feet but then Renie kicked you in the face and eight women charged in to get their penance from your hide. They stood over you kicking and throwing steins and glasses at you.

It was probably a good minute before the fellas started pulling their ladies off of you. You were out cold like the man from Angston. After several squabbles between the couples, Renie came back over to you and dragged you outside. The amount of rage she must have had to been able to drag you out must have been immense. She came back in and bought herself a drink, it looked like she had your coinpurse but after what I witnessed I wasn’t going to ask her where she got the money from.

As he finished the tale, my head sunk lower. All of that work trying to get that money and this is how I lose it. I raised my head back up, “ how much damage was done to your bar last night on account of me?”

The bartender smiled, “I lost some of my steins and glasses, oh and one chair but it was the most money I have ever made in a night. I wish you could come by more often.”

I sighed and finished my cup of coffee. Eventually I admitted defeat, “well I don’t know when I’ll be able to come back as I’m broke again. Plus I’m not sure how I’m going to make any money with my face looking like this?”

The bartender laughed and replied, “maybe it’s time for you to get some honest work. You fight pretty well, maybe join up with an adventuring group.”

I looked down at my empty cup and thought about what he said. I left the army four years ago because I was tired of sleeping on the ground. Then again spending my time with pompous aristocrats and feigning affection for them was far worse than any adventure I had in the service.

Maybe it is time I reassess my life choices.

7/1/2019 4:16:57 PM #11

The event has ended ,and the results will be announced within the next three days!

Prizes for the winners ,and Event messages will be sent to all participants.

Thanks for joining in for the Bi-Weekly Event!

-FreeMann Tavern

7/3/2019 7:18:30 AM #12

Event winner ,and prizes will be sent out to all participants will be announced within the next 24 hours of this post. Good Luck All!

7/4/2019 5:15:30 AM #13

Event closing announcement

This has been one of the closest contests to judge yet!

From a pyromaniac waerd to mysterious lantern men. Being in a tavern no matter the location is bound to be an interesting time. The stories you've all shared will go down in history . Some entries were very suprising! From Madmen-Experiments,Good-Jokes, Heists, Midnight Chicken flights ,and even card playing owls. There can only be one.. or well perhaps two.. winners this time around!

But without further adieu after many beers ,and some very few sober moments. It is time too announce the winners!

Our first place winner is none other then...! Chasew!

With our second place winner... Abbi!

A further surprise to all participants Gold/Rubys will accompany your locked boxes!

Thanks everyone for telling your legendary tales. Until next event!

-Freemann Tavern

7/4/2019 10:38:19 AM #14

Thank you for the gifts. Well done to the winners and I'll do better next time.