COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Any new update on the map?

Anyone have a new update on the map?

6/4/2019 5:55:17 PM #1

What maps?

6/4/2019 6:07:16 PM #2

Posted By graytoni at

dates are not being given (thankfully in my own opinion)

as for updates - check the thursday shinies etc

Snipehunter has done some excellent posts with updates about maps, and last thursday's shiny was a brilliant video updating us as to how they are being generated

6/4/2019 6:13:02 PM #3

Posted By Dleatherus at 2:07 PM - Tue Jun 04 2019

Posted By graytoni at

Snipehunter has done some excellent posts with updates about maps, and last thursday's shiny was a brilliant video updating us as to how they are being generated

Snipehunter has been doing an exceptional job. But those aren't updates to where they are on the maps but a great look behind the scenes.

NA-E Luna Locked --------------------------------------------------

6/4/2019 6:24:54 PM #4

i guess that's a matter of semantics

to me they are updates as to the work in progress and what is involved in making them

6/4/2019 6:46:47 PM #5

Posted By Dleatherus at 2:24 PM - Tue Jun 04 2019

i guess that's a matter of semantics

to me they are updates as to the work in progress and what is involved in making them

OK. But it in no way tells you where they are at in the process or how close they are to production. Like last Wednesday one of them said something like, they were finishing up the water simulation testing and then running it on the test map.

6/4/2019 6:48:27 PM #6

Posted By DracoKalen at 11:13 AM - Tue Jun 04 2019

Posted By graytoni at

Snipehunter has been doing an exceptional job. But those aren't updates to where they are on the maps but a great look behind the scenes.

The update you want then is in the May Community Journal, where they said they will not be giving out hard dates any longer, and will announce D&SS when the maps are all ready this time.

6/4/2019 6:51:10 PM #7

Posted By DracoKalen at 1:13 PM - Tue Jun 04 2019

Were you around when they were giving dates? That's what the internal process looks like.

I don't think they can quantify it anymore than they are with the progress updates Snipe is giving because there are simply too many unknowns to do so accurately. Any time-based update they provide would have to assume that there were no more problems to solve. Which of course just isn't true.

6/4/2019 7:32:27 PM #8

If I were to venture a guess as to the protracted delay very likely they've decided to do more manual fine tuning than originally planned.

Recall in the semi arid map update Snipe mentioned how the algorithms placed too many caves in them which could have unbalanced the economy from everyone fungus farming in them.

Might have decided to regenerate some or even all of them after adjusting the algos from lessons learned the first go around.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

6/4/2019 8:18:14 PM #9

Posted By Vilucide at 2:48 PM - Tue Jun 04 2019

Posted By DracoKalen at 11:13 AM - Tue Jun 04 2019

Posted By graytoni at

The update you want then is in the May Community Journal, where they said they will not be giving out hard dates any longer, and will announce D&SS when the maps are all ready this time.

At what point did I ask for a hard date? I didn't. Giving an idea of where they are at is not asking for a hard date!

6/4/2019 8:56:41 PM #10

Does it even matter where they are on it. They could tell you where they are then re-calculate something which means they have to take steps backwards to change something to then calculate again and it could be a long drawn out two steps forward one step back and sometimes even two steps forward and two steps back. It's a cyclic job of ever spinning algorithms and math whilst they fine tune it.

6/5/2019 12:01:35 AM #11

yes, yes it does. Snipehunter gave us an update today

6/5/2019 11:11:09 AM #12

Posted By DracoKalen at 01:01 AM - Wed Jun 05 2019

Having the update does not suddenly mean it actually mattered. For all you know they've now since that update had to take 2 steps back cos something changed too drastically. Thus my point still stands and is perfectly valid.

6/5/2019 11:41:07 AM #13

Posted By DracoKalen at 8:01 PM - Tue Jun 04 2019

Oh, where did he provide the update, I can't seem to locate it.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

6/5/2019 12:13:27 PM #14

Posted By Kyleran at 06:41 AM - Wed Jun 05 2019

Posted By DracoKalen at 8:01 PM - Tue Jun 04 2019

Oh, where did he provide the update, I can't seem to locate it.

The dss section of the CoE discord is where we see informal updates and progress reports from snipe and serp. Formal, official updates won't be made on the forums until it goes up in review mode.

6/5/2019 12:41:24 PM #15

@ Graytoni

From Discord discussions: Caspian is streamlining the water simulation so they can iterate and adjust it faster and Snipe continues to fine tune some biomes (Semi Arid Desert I think).

Total wag on my part, but maybe another 1.5 to 2 weeks if everything goes well.