COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Baron package - what are the duties/responsibilities?

Hi All,

My husband has a baron-level package and now that D&SS will happen in the nearish future we're trying to figure out what duties/responsibilities he'd have as a mayor; he's not sure he wants to do anything admnistrative, so does he have to actually do anything or can he ignore that side of things? If he DOES have to be a mayor, can he exchange the title for EP?

6/2/2019 2:32:19 PM #1

Well being a mayor is kind of all about administration surely? They are there to make their settlement run smoothly and effectively.

You could delegate that responsibility or parts of it to others but once you have stopped doing most of it then why would people keep you on as mayor?

If he wants to just do the military stuff in the barony then he needs to find a trustworthy and dedicated partner or two to do the day to day running of the settlement.

6/2/2019 3:10:06 PM #2

It is possible to delegate responsibilities but also to trade the title for EP (it may not be much). He can also trade the title to someone else, perhaps in exchange for a more suitable role in the town that he would enjoy?

The responsibilities of a Mayor:

One of the questions people often ask is, what are the responsibilities of Aristocracy. That is, how does a Mayor (Town)/Magistrate (City)/Baron spend the majority of their day? As a hamlet/village, there's no special UI and they basically just work with their fellow hamlet or village elders to decide where to put plots of food, wells, and other small buildings. That’s it. Beyond that they can play however they want.

As a Town and above, there's a Town Management UI which lets you see your boundaries, zone parcels of land for leasing (residential, commercial, industrial), monitor settlement resources and taxes, and lets you identify where you want different types of structures to be built. This is, as you guessed, a table, much like the Count has, which goes in the Town Hall. Through this table, people can see the "town plan". And can work to bring the mayor’s vision of the town to life.

Once you hit City-level and above, and add a Courthouse, it becomes possible to customize the local laws using the desk at the Courthouse. As with the lower-level tiers, aside from defining some laws for your city, using the City Planning Table to identify where buildings should go, viewing the resource tables to ensure you’re getting the right resources into the town, and collecting taxes, you can otherwise play the game as you normally would.

It’s our estimation that with each tier of government comes an extra couple man-hours of management a week. Hamlets maybe 1-2 hours per week spent managing/meeting regarding the hamlet, villages 2-4, towns 4-6, cities 6-8, and capitals 8-10. Remember, at the point where you’re running a Capital, you’ve got 250+ people residing within your domain. These are of course estimates. Those people who prefer to be more hands-off can delegate many of the duties to others, and those who prefer to be more involved can walk the settlements making improvements themselves.

Source: DJ 18 Kingdom and Land Management

6/2/2019 3:10:12 PM #3

A Baron is a Mayor as well, sorry for the spoiler. I am primis you are a Mayor with all the duty that follow. You have a contact with the Duke to provide security to a section of territory. The Duke will give you money to do that. Your citizen will be focusing on Military. With that many of the Mayors responsibilities will go Away. You will have NPCs soldiers and OPCs soldiers as well to do most of the jobs. But your Barony will attract local pvper for you to lead in battles as well. All I have is Ali will be very nice so if I was you I would definitely do it.

6/2/2019 4:30:50 PM #4

Can he hold the package without taking up mayoral duties, or is that required?

6/2/2019 5:02:24 PM #5

He doesn't have to fulfill the duties of a mayor, but the consequences of negligence include:

• Getting voted out if there are other players who own land in the settlement
  • NPCs will leave the settlement because it's not being managed well (or at all)
  • Falling in trouble with the local count for not meeting your tax obligations and running a previously functioning settlement into the ground.

He also doesn't need to pick a settlement if he doesn't want to. However, he'd be losing the value of his package that way. I think the best outcome for everyone would be for your husband to trade in his title.

6/2/2019 8:02:37 PM #6

Posted By Augustus_Aquila at 10:10 AM - Sun Jun 02 2019

A Baron is a Mayor as well, sorry for the spoiler. I am primis you are a Mayor with all the duty that follow. You have a contact with the Duke to provide security to a section of territory. The Duke will give you money to do that. Your citizen will be focusing on Military. With that many of the Mayors responsibilities will go Away. You will have NPCs soldiers and OPCs soldiers as well to do most of the jobs. But your Barony will attract local pvper for you to lead in battles as well. All I have is Ali will be very nice so if I was you I would definitely do it.

A Baron would answer directly to a count and the count would answer to the Duke. That is the standard chain of command anyway.

6/2/2019 9:46:02 PM #7

Caspian has also told us that trading in a Mayor/Baron package really isn't worth it when it comes to EP because the exchange rate is very low. If you and your husband are part of any of the groups that have formed over the past 2-3 years and he doesn't want to run the town then he should talk to someone in the group in discord to see if someone wants to run a town in exchange for a place to live in the town, or even a business if he'd rather be a business owner.

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

6/11/2019 12:57:29 PM #8

We had ourselves set up with a council of seven to divide the work...but then I merged and handed over my package now I dont need to worry about that. Have you considered making someone else doing all the work?

-Wayland Ade'Braeden, Judicator of IronCall, Tritea Duchy of the High Seas.

Friend Code: 2D1330

"The wave returns to the ocean..."

7/5/2019 2:48:50 PM #9

I have a friend that doesn't want to spend a bunch of money. In exchange I am going to have him run the day to day, while I focus primarily on the military aspect. He will be compensated with the free rent of a business (will still be taxed of course) as long as his business is military related i.e. weapons, armor, logistics, etc. He has no kids and has more free time than me. I have been building my discord channel over the last couple years playing other games just so I could draw all of them into this game when it launches. haha

Baron Neiph Cadfael

7/11/2019 3:30:44 PM #10

I tested bundling my title and trading it in, it only resulted in a net gain of 50 EP.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

7/12/2019 6:14:09 PM #11

Posted By ZeroCool at 08:30 AM - Thu Jul 11 2019

I tested bundling my title and trading it in, it only resulted in a net gain of 50 EP.

Which is pretty much what Caspian said LoL. But it's good to know the exact amount of EP now. I do with SBS would put out a chart that would show how much EP each package is worth which would make the choice a little simpler.

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

7/12/2019 8:47:06 PM #12

My barons duties and responsibilities

Barons job is to;

Help ensure law and order

Build forces as written by the Duke

Ensure the County you are in Has it's county levy organised

Work with the local count whenever reasonable

pay county taxes

Crush uprisings whenever possible and respond to revolting Counts

Repel invaders and raiders

Always be ready to raid

Maintain barony fortifications and ensure the counties towns are adequately defended

7/12/2019 9:17:26 PM #13

Cool with those responsibilities most of your barons are going to be arrested by their counts right away as barons are vassals to count and not to duke. Which means their primary loyalty goes to the count and they are subject to count's laws and authority.

One day maybe you'll understand what : "Barons serve counts, but receive funding from their duke." means.

In the mean time lets hope you do not do too much damage to the people fool enough to listen to what you say on the matter.

7/13/2019 12:35:30 PM #14

Posted By markof at 10:17 PM - Fri Jul 12 2019

Cool with those responsibilities most of your barons are going to be arrested by their counts right away as barons are vassals to count and not to duke. Which means their primary loyalty goes to the count and they are subject to count's laws and authority.

One day maybe you'll understand what : "Barons serve counts, but receive funding from their duke." means.

In the mean time lets hope you do not do too much damage to the people fool enough to listen to what you say on the matter.

That's possibly the most silly thing I've read here in a while.

Barons don't just pay lip service, they work with counts but ultimately if the duke needs them then they respond to the duke.

Otherwise why have barons when I can just hire playergroups to defend the area if I get pretty much nothing from barons other then lip service.

Ultimately dukes handpick barons they'll pick barons that out the duchy first.

7/13/2019 12:36:56 PM #15

Also good luck to a count unilaterally arresting a baron without the dukes permission.