COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
what's really going on? Band together

My original post was calling for the community to stop funding, due to what I saw as lack of proof of production and constant false date releases. Though this post I have learned a great deal more now that I had that dispite privous attempts to find out about similar info with no seceuss. (Hence my revised post) I still strongly think COE needs to stop posting dates until they are sure they can be met but if what I'm told is true and they have only 20 staff I can see how challenging it can be. Also I am now aware that the production side is only 2 years in the making so coupled with the minimal staff I cant complain about where they are at really. But I believe if they want to get moving they need at least double the staff or more. Hopefully they will get a backer soon.

A few things I really do think they need to try to focus on is drop all else if possible and get the selection site up quickly. That will go a ways to improving trust with us supporters. Second is I heard that Coe is having a hard time getting backing becuase they wont do a cash box. It's great Coe is holding on that but what about a cash box for only cosmetics similar to what fortnite does. They still make a ton without changing the fairness of the game for the most part. Also many games have had cash shop items that did vary little, like a item that gave a glider 2x speed for 10 sec, in a game where gliders where only used to minimal travel thus not really damaging the gameplay just a little fun trinket.

Anyway even though this has caused some controversy I'm glad I wrote it as it has helped me learn a lot and changed my prospective to some degree.

P.S. for those who dropped 10-20k holy shit what kinda job do you have and how can I get in your field lol.

5/27/2019 1:59:59 AM #31

Posted By Forsakenwish at 09:18 AM - Mon May 27 2019

And $300 is nothing, get on my level.

Why is there always one tool that uses this lame line. What is 300 to you, maybe a ton to someone else. What anyone here has backed, doesn't mean anything. Doesn't mean their opinion and views, suddenly mean less than someone that spent more.

5/27/2019 2:22:24 AM #32

Please re-read the original post.

5/27/2019 2:35:30 AM #33

Posted By graytoni at

It's great Coe is holding on that but what about a cash box for only cosmetics similar to what fortnite does. They still make a ton without changing the fairness of the game for the most part.

You know this would utterly break the game. Resources are infinite. While also, anything that can be made, can also be broken down. So that be one easy way to destroy a ton of different professions.

Side note, the point people accept this as an fine cash shop item, is the real problem here. Free to play games is one thing, but seeing as how basically all games have this greedy BS now. It's why the industry is bloody doomed.

Also many games have had cash shop items that did vary little, like a item that gave a glider 2x speed for 10 sec, in a game where gliders where only used to minimal travel thus not really damaging the gameplay just a little fun trinket.

LOL what the flying fuck.. now you are just taking the piss.

5/27/2019 3:26:01 AM #34

Posted By Gunnlang - Sun May 26 2019

[...]

LOL what the flying fuck.. now you are just taking the piss.

Lol, you remind me of this

@ Graytoni: didn't realise you overhaul the OP, would you consider leaving your original words there for easier referencing?

Regarding the Cosmetic shop idea, Caspian has explained his stance on it once. Not sure if anyone can find the direct quote.

Caspian is in the view that if cash shop items make up a significant portion of the revenue of the studio, the development team will unintentionally focus more and more effort on selling these items, instead of spending their effort to make the game world better.

Therefore, no cash shop for cosmetic items.

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Vice mayor of Lux Verloren

5/27/2019 3:36:36 AM #35

Posted By Roarer at 8:55 PM - Sun May 26 2019

Posted By DesiDoll - Sun May 26 2019

[...] They created this studio to make this game, expected a bigger studio to pick it up, and when that didn't happen, they started making it themselves in earnest. Even if they had 100 people working on CoE, it would not be done yet.

[...] Since then, they started work on a game that sounds like it was meant to be a demo to sell to a studio, nixed that and started to make it how they wanted, changed servers and more than anything, kept their player base involved in the creation process.

[...]

I have never heard of anything about the game being sold to a bigger studio. I am always under the impression the Studio will have development freedom of the game. All I have heard is that they have been looking for investors. Would you mind elaborating?

Or else, how will they implement the research system? how will they ensure the 10 year story line plays out?

It was misinformation I was given a long time ago. I have since removed it from my post.

5/27/2019 4:28:58 AM #36

Posted By Gunnlang at 9:54 PM - Sat May 25 2019

I'm pretty loud about criticising SBS. But if you are going to use facts, at least be right about them. While it may have been 3 years since KS. They really didn't start working on the game until early 2017.

I do agree with the funding part. Anyone that doesn't feel confidence within SBS shouldn't be giving them money. That's just foolish at that rate.

Bringing up WoW just shows they are pretty much right on track. While you aren't even using the right facts about WoW. Doing a quick google search. WoW took around 4-5 years to make. Oddly couldn't find how many people did work on it, but a few hundred would have been about right. The key point, they spent 200 million making it.

So how do you expect an indie company, with a tiny 6 million and around 20 people to really do anything in 3 years? When really any other company that has made an MMO. Had normally at least 100 people and tens of millions.

You could somewhat compare CoE to Ashes of Creation. The latter had their KS about a year afterwards. They have way more money and last I read, had around 200 employees. Yet they have also gone basically nowhere.

Sorry mate but, following your logic, this game is impossible to make. No offense.

If WoW took 200 million, hundreds of people in the dev team and 5 years then I don't see how this game will be possible to make. I mean it could be done, but with my estimations and bad calculations I'd say... This game will get done in 166 years or so. But since SBS always have money flowing let's make it 100 years. I'm just making that assumption with money, but if we use with the amount of people I'd say 50 years. Many of us will be dead by that point, but it's worth the wait I guess?

So... We just need to wait another 47-48 years more.

5/27/2019 5:02:19 AM #37

Posted By Chroniclesofalias at 12:28 PM - Mon May 27 2019

I'm pretty loud about criticising SBS. But if you are going to use facts, at least be right about them. While it may have been 3 years since KS. They really didn't start working on the game until early 2017.

I do agree with the funding part. Anyone that doesn't feel confidence within SBS shouldn't be giving them money. That's just foolish at that rate.

Bringing up WoW just shows they are pretty much right on track. While you aren't even using the right facts about WoW. Doing a quick google search. WoW took around 4-5 years to make. Oddly couldn't find how many people did work on it, but a few hundred would have been about right. The key point, they spent 200 million making it.

So how do you expect an indie company, with a tiny 6 million and around 20 people to really do anything in 3 years? When really any other company that has made an MMO. Had normally at least 100 people and tens of millions.

You could somewhat compare CoE to Ashes of Creation. The latter had their KS about a year afterwards. They have way more money and last I read, had around 200 employees. Yet they have also gone basically nowhere.

Sorry mate but, following your logic, this game is impossible to make. No offense.

If WoW took 200 million, hundreds of people in the dev team and 5 years then I don't see how this game will be possible to make. I mean it could be done, but with my estimations and bad calculations I'd say... This game will get done in 166 years or so. But since SBS always have money flowing let's make it 100 years. I'm just making that assumption with money, but if we use with the amount of people I'd say 50 years. Many of us will be dead by that point, but it's worth the wait I guess?

Your calculations are extremely flawed because you are making the assumption that both games have exactly the same amount of work to do.

We can't quantify either WoW or CoE because we are not privy to that kind of information.

Plus SBS is procedurally generating most of the world, which takes out a significant portion of time having to hand place objects, although extra time (how much?) is obviously required program the tools to do so.

There is too much unknown to make claims like that

5/27/2019 5:10:33 AM #38

Posted By HajimeSaikou at 01:02 AM - Mon May 27 2019

Posted By Chroniclesofalias at 12:28 PM - Mon May 27 2019

Your calculations are extremely flawed because you are making the assumption that both games have exactly the same amount of work to do.

We can't quantify either WoW or CoE because we are not privy to that kind of information.

Plus SBS is procedurally generating most of the world, which takes out a significant portion of time having to hand place objects, although extra time (how much?) is obviously required program the tools to do so.

There is too much unknown to make claims like that

Yeah you are right. I just made those calculations considering that both of the games have the same work.

5/27/2019 3:54:37 PM #39

Posted By Chroniclesofalias at 2:28 PM - Mon May 27 2019

Eh to be honest I see this whole thing ending one of three ways.

1. They stay true to their word and make an high quality game. It will just take several years, if not longer. (Pretty much have to assume we have to self fund them for this to happen).

2. They get funding from some investor/publisher. Things may or may not change. While also some kind of a cash shop will probably appear.

3. They come to terms that making everything they promised just isn't realistic and don't have the time or money to pull off. So really dumb down the game, to release it before the money runs out.

While it's impossible to say which way things will turn out this far out. Nothing is going to happen quickly and smoothly. Even if they got an publisher on board. As can be seen from DSS.