COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Why CB makes the mayors effectively the most powerful players in the game.

This dynamic sets up a rather interesting situation where the higher up has to for lack of a better term kiss up to the lower power.

King/Queen Must keep the 12 Dukes and Duchesses happy or any one of them can send in their armies and CB you ending your reign. So you would want to pass only completely non controversial ones like murder is illegal.

Dukes/Duchesses They must keep the counts happy, or their reign is over because surely they can find someone willing to take that spot or their own spot and help them get the higher spot.

Counts/Countesses Mayors have the power to take them over, so they will want to not piss them off. Especially as they are closest to the people.

Mayors Mayors can demand a law get overturned and the count will demand that it get over turned and the duke will demand and the king will do it. Basically Mayors are the final stamp of approval.

The Keshi family, is intend on bringing democracy and economic stability to Elyria.

5/25/2019 5:32:52 PM #16

I can just see someone being like "haha, I just took over the county through meticulous months of planning" and then being deposed half a day later.

Evil? More like Chaotic Neutral...ish

5/27/2019 11:44:35 AM #17

Posted By Atogrim at 05:30 AM - Fri May 24 2019

Posted By Gunghoe at 09:23 AM - Fri May 24 2019

Mayors are only able to be successful if the count lets them be successful.

Or if the mayor outwits his/her count/ the baron his/her duke. Dance of dynasties ^^

That's where you're wrong. The whole Idea behind what I said is that if the mayor will want to expand he'll have to talk to the count to be able to buy more things to expand his settlement. There is no outwitting, in this case. You have to be trustworthy to be successful as a mayor. If you're not. You won't be able to expand.

If the mayor's citizens have been using a mine to gain resources at the behest of the count. They can lose all rights and privileges to do so if they've made a bad move. There is other ways to economically damage a mayor that has turned untrustworthy, or becomes hard to work with.

They're only granted rights, liberties, or other, by how good his relationship within the region is. If he will show that problems become frequent he'll lose things, and rights to varying degrees.

Oh, you know what will likely happen when you're either late on a lease or tax payment? you lose your property. In the case of a mayor, and town council. They might lose their settlement to the county. It would be a shame if that lease or tax money didn't make it to the destination needed to mechanically have it paid.

Then there is the fact that they are a voted position. The count would pay for a new mayor vote. Behind closed doors of a more trusted person that isn't causing problems. Everyone essentially gets their land from the count. (Yes you can buy it off someone or a city second hand, but they've initially got it from the count.) So with that in play it'll be easy to get certain things done to get that mayor ousted, in the threat of them possibly losing their settlement to the county. Or they just stopped liking the power hungry mentality of that mayor.

It's best not to piss off the count, especially if you have next to no support in doing so. Though those that gain support in pissing off the count in their collusion against the count. The count has done something very wrong for those under him to lose faith that he's worth working with. And that the domain would rather have one of their cronies in his place instead.

So, lets look at how this looks. The mayors mostly agree 66% of them are needed to create a CB against the count either the first way, which is taking the seat of power, or splitting the domain. Now if it's not that 66% then they can only do things by subverting. The baron 9/10 times will always side with the count. Because the guy above the count gave him a great deal of privilege. And the count has most likely supported him. He'll usually have that guy in his pocket in his side if the duke is happy with how the count has been running things.

There is only so many ways for the count to piss off the major majority of his mayors that its going to be a freak event if it does or ever happens. There is many tools at a good counts disposal to make sure his mayors stay in line and not bicker with each other. He also has many tools at his request, The drama that a single mayor has is usually personal and fueled by something.

It's likely one of the MORE expensive positions to have, is being a mayor. that's on the cusp of being a city (The fame required to be able to usurp the count,) And will be among the hardest nut to crack to create internal instability within the counts domain.

You have to be realistic about things, my man. Yes they have a certain degree of power and that should only ever extend to the influence they have within their own settlement. If it becomes over extending, then they're at risk of becoming one of the "problem" players.

Lets make this clear. I am a count, And for that matter have a decent number of players under me. A count like me will only ask for assistance when it's most needed. Otherwise, I risk becoming a "problem" count. So I will remain quiet and try and keep my politics under wraps internally. In order to accomplish that goal. I'll do everything I can to help and support my mayors. That trust ends when they've become a problem mayor. I also have the support of many within my domain, to squash these "problems" in any way I can imagine. A simple policy that is enacted will not be something that will spiral out of control.

What you're simply suggesting is that these people will not want support of the most wealthy people within a given kingdom, the duke and the count, the mayor is only as successful as the count lets them be. They understand this, things can become really bad really fast if they start making unreasonable demands, that are akin to asking the count to be a Tributary of them? How does a tributary get vassalage of someone that is receiving this tribute? That wouldn't make any sense.

5/28/2019 3:22:53 AM #18

@Gunghoe's post is a long read, but it's worth it. He basically lays out all the details of how it's easier for a count to screw with an inconvenient mayor than it is for a single mayor, or even a substantial group of mayors, to screw with their count. The count probably has to be screwing up by himself in order to be vulnerable to it.

Of course, player cabals (as opposed to character cabals, hint, hint) are always possible, but as @Gunghoe also points out, mayors will be at the mercy of their citizens if they screw up a good situation in their quest for power, revenge, kicks, cheap thrills, or whatever.