COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Businesses

Hello all! i just found out about this game and its wonderful concept, Now i was wondering i want to run a tavern, kinda like Nassau's old tavern in the golden age of piracy so to speak without the thieving and black market of course. Now would this be possible? I'm buying the highest edition available so would that increase my chances of it becoming successful? Sorry if this has been a topic before.

5/21/2019 4:27:04 AM #1

Buying the highest package currently available would give you more stuff to start with in the Exposition phase. Whether your business succeeds depends upon other factors. With a tavern, you would probably have to ensure a supply of food and beverages, and attract a stream of paying customers. The ability to attract customers probably depends to a great deal on the buffs that food and beverages bestow on those who consume them.

You would have a built-in advantage in that a tavern is a required structure for a village, and confers an automatic survival benefit on nearby characters. You would not necessarily benefit financially from this, but it would be in the interests of the local authorities to make sure your business survives. There would probably have to be some value to consuming food and beverage that is explicitly purchased, in addition to the tavern's passive benefits, for the business to do really well. We don't yet know any of the quantitative factors involved, so all we can do is speculate based upon general statements and principles.

5/21/2019 6:35:31 AM #2

Posted By KirbyTheGod at

Hello all! i just found out about this game and its wonderful concept, Now i was wondering i want to run a tavern, kinda like Nassau's old tavern in the golden age of piracy so to speak without the thieving and black market of course. Now would this be possible? I'm buying the highest edition available so would that increase my chances of it becoming successful? Sorry if this has been a topic before.

Sounds like you have a good idea and as Poldano said it is definitely in the interest of the Mayor/Baron to work with you to take sure you succeed. But that being said, you also should talk to the Count/Countess in who's county you'll be living depending on your tier level to see how they might be able to help also.

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

5/21/2019 9:12:17 PM #3

One thing to keep mind is that you character won't be able to do everything at a high level. A lot of shoppe games let's your character learn how to cook,fight, tailor, manage, adventure, blacksmith, etc all on one character while you can learn everything in CoE there is so much to learn that you wouldn't be able to keep up without a team or employees. Professions and crafting in CoE will take time to learn, time to process, and character and player skill to produce. You can run a tavern for sure but it will closer to the realistic side of running a tavern than most games.

5/21/2019 11:31:42 PM #4

In addition to what was already noted above.

I strongly recommend you start networking with likeminded players and not just randomly show up in someone’s city. Or seek out a mayor whose looking for a tavern keeper and supports your business.

5/21/2019 11:40:36 PM #5

Knowing what server you plan on playing on is a good start in finding a patron

Zaldara Blackstan, Count of Stíelanheorte Mayor of Blaecstanbury

5/22/2019 4:52:11 AM #6

It's absolutely possible. There are on average 4-5 settlements per county. 24 counties per duchy. 72 duchies per server. So there's between 6,912 and 8,640 settlements on each of the NA and EU servers (OCE has 2 fewer kingdoms). So even if just 1% of those are seaside settlements, that's still 69 to 86 settlements to choose from, and we'll probably see some at least a few player made settlements in Expo as well FWIW.

Besides the raw math, there are also 13 legendary taverns in the game, just 2 of which have been purchased thus far. I think the studio plans to put more of them (if not all of them) up for sale during monthly promos, so one of those could be a tavern in a seaside town. They are expensive however, retailing for $1,250 each. But you seem willing to spend the money, so you might consider that option while you're checking things out.

Anyway, welcome to CoE and best of luck with your tavern dreams.