COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Can counts create a Universal Basic Income for their citizens?

Does anyone know if the game would allow for a system that allows for say mayors, counts, dukes or kings to grant their citizens each an unconditional payment from the government to them? I'm aware there are law mechanics and contracts but I'm wondering if it is feasible that such a wide reaching and specific thing can be achieved within the game mechanics.

Does anyone have any thoughts/insight?

5/18/2019 6:15:49 PM #1

Sure, why not? There's nothing preventing anyone from trying to do that.

But is it possible and will people do it are different questions. If you viewed natural resources as something belonging to all indigenous people, then you could construct a perfectly justifiable benefit that way.

However, without having some concept of the game economy and knowing things like upkeep and survival costs, and without having a clear understanding of how you'd regulate and dispense such a benefit, it seems terribly foolish to commit to something of this magnitude.

Don't let your mouth write checks your ass can't cash.

Ultimately, ideas like this strike me as lacking in enough fun to be sustainable long term. It will be a tedious activity for those responsible for managing it. But then again, people actually enjoy doing accounting, so there's that. :D

5/18/2019 6:28:38 PM #2

sure. you can allow every citizen to come and collect money from you even month/year/whatever. as long as you have some.

carnead Die Entdecker und Verteidiger Avagasts suchen DICH! Egal welcher Berufsstand in unserer Stadt ist für jeden platz! [Geselle dich zu uns!] https://discord.gg/Sc6TyGR

5/18/2019 6:30:40 PM #3

Posted By Hieronymus at 1:15 PM - Sat May 18 2019

However, without having some concept of the game economy and knowing things like upkeep and survival costs, and without having a clear understanding of how you'd regulate and dispense such a benefit, it seems terribly foolish to commit to something of this magnitude.

I agree completely, I have thought about grants that people will have to work and apply for in my county to help people start up businesses, but a universal income sounds very tedious. I doubt they are going to put in some in game system that allows some auto payout every so often, you will most likely have to delegate others to distribute funds. I can also imagine taxes being quite high to pull this off if this universal income is anything substantial.

5/18/2019 10:41:27 PM #4

Lol..seriously? Welfare.....

5/18/2019 10:51:06 PM #5

If you are a Waerd mayor/count/duke/king this may be something you could do. It would be culturally appropriate. Other tribes, who have a more commercial or capital outlook, may not like this, and that would just be the NPC's. Every player is going to have a different outlook. Most likely it will be possible with game mechanics. If this is something you would want to do I would say do it at the smallest level. If your town is a big producer of something and you are just paying back the citizens for their hard work it could be an ideal system.

5/18/2019 11:25:22 PM #6

Given settlement sizes, Mayor's/Barons could probably do something like this without too much difficulty. Things would get decidedly more difficult as you move up from settlement level. Once you have to start transporting between settlements the logistics will necessitate a lot of tedious planning for what probably amounts to minimal benefit per citizen. Not to mention you'd be dealing with sizable transfers of wealth that have to be moved on a very regular schedule which is asking for banditry.

5/19/2019 1:53:36 AM #7

I generally favor basic income in real life, but aside from its digital dependency in regards to efficiency, you should also consider that many of the motivations and arguments behind it doesn't exist within the game.

The primary motivation for all welfare systems is to include and provide a safety net for those who become unfit to function optimally in a traditional sense within a society, whether due to disability from genetics, illness, accidents, or age. However, the game won't have such conditions, there are no disabilities that will make you unable to function. Even in regards to age you just become weaker in some attributes.

In addition, a significant factor for why basic income is becoming a more relevant alternative to traditional welfare is due to the industrial nations being in a transitional phase from a manual labor society towards a more automated society that would benefit more from a population with a higher creative output. Again, this is not the case within the game.

What you could probably do instead is to simulate a form for Inca society, where all the essential needs, such as food and clothing being distributed by the government.

5/19/2019 6:08:43 AM #8

Posted By LegendOfStein at 06:51 AM - Sun May 19 2019

If you are a Waerd mayor/count/duke/king this may be something you could do. It would be culturally appropriate.

I have to respectfully disagree here sorry, this isn't in line with Waerd culture. Despite what has been spread, the Waerd are not a communist culture.

The strength of the wolf is the Pack. Fight with honour.

5/19/2019 12:30:47 PM #9

I guess most rulers wont like having poor people in thier community that do not contribute with any taxes.

So a Universal Basic Income would make it possible for everyone there to study the skills they want and take any profession they want and make more money and pay alot of taxes.

Perfect to try for a ruler in a MEOW.

5/19/2019 1:20:36 PM #10

Trying to establish a universal basic income (UBI) in CoE is very honorable.

IRL a UBI is funded by a 50% consumer tax on most goods, afaik.
I presume CoE will be lacking such advandced methods of taxation. At least in the early to mid game. Taxation is probably based on the land and buildings you own.

I doubt it will be very difficult in game to earn some money for covering the basic needs. There are OPCs grinding away, earning a small sum for the next play session.

Additionally lords could look into how to boost and steer their local economy. Free jobtraining and public crafting stations would be two examples I can come up with. :)

5/19/2019 3:21:43 PM #11

God I hope so...if for no other reason than to watch the domains of people who do this collapse. :)

Imgur

5/19/2019 4:43:58 PM #12

Posted By Marovec at 10:21 AM - Sun May 19 2019

God I hope so...if for no other reason than to watch the domains of people who do this collapse. :)

In a game like this, this sort of political move is an interesting one. I could see a lot of unhappy citizens getting taxed like crazy only for their wealth to be redistributed. I can't fathom how there would be any benefit to a system like this but it would be amusing to watch for the sake of science lol.

5/19/2019 5:40:35 PM #13

Good luck making people youre funding work.... Id recommend grants for the top performers.

Count of Raberre's Rest

5/19/2019 6:33:58 PM #14

Can't wait to see that idea fail.

Mayor of the City of Widow's Reach, Thane of Clan Hammerbull

5/19/2019 7:44:17 PM #15

While a universal income might not be the best for the community it does give me ideas. You could pay them for other less obvious tasks which others wouldn't pay for.

Friend Code: 6CC04C