COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Help Vote on D&SS Duchy names!

Howdy everyone,

While many of us are patiently awaiting maps, we figured you might like to take a look at some of the names the generator has been churning out lately.

So Caspian shared a few in Discord one night recently...

And then someone had the crazy idea of having the community help us vote on which temporary names we'd use for the duchies during Domain and Settlement Selection.

And guess what? We decided to do it!

Here's the details:

• Below, you will find 17 polls, separated by biome
  • There are approximately 90-110 names per poll
  • You can vote on as many as you love, but remember, like roulette, if too many of you vote on too many, you may not see your very favorite in Elyria during D&SS
  • None of the names are duplicated across any of the biomes
  • None of the temporary names we choose to be used during D&SS will be duplicated on any server
  • We aren't giving an exact date on when voting will close, but feel safe in knowing that you have at least the next couple to a few days after this post is made live if you want to join in.

With maps being finished up and the last of the testing being completed on the site, we agreed in the meantime you might like to not only see many more of the generated names, but also participate in choosing which ones are used on the actual duchies during D&SS.

Without further delay,

The polls are closed.

EDIT: 6/1/2019: Some players (thanks Duke Kapier) asked for the full list as they didn't have a chance to write them down. I uploaded them and you can find them all here. Hope it helps!

Here are the polls!!

Taiga

Rocky Mountain Steppe

Alpine Forest

Lower Montane Forest

Broadleaf Forest

Mixed Forest

Shrublands

Shrub Steppe

Grasslands

Semi-Arid Desert

Woodland Savanna

Salt Marsh

Bog

Tidal Marsh

Swamp

Tropical Wetlands

Tropical Rainforest

We hope you enjoy this short respite while we wait on the final maps.

Thanks for reading and, if you participate and vote, thanks for taking part!

As always,

More to come...

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

5/16/2019 7:25:20 AM #16

All done ^^

5/16/2019 7:35:22 AM #17

Just finished voting on all of them. Cool idea, Serp!

5/16/2019 7:55:50 AM #18

One of the options in the Shrub Steppe is 'Pothead'. XD

5/16/2019 8:20:40 AM #19

Really nice idea! Thanks :D

5/16/2019 8:50:23 AM #20

Love this. So much fun going through these and selecting my favorites.

Alt text - can be left blank

5/16/2019 9:05:27 AM #21

vote4Deepmouth

Upvoting and downvoting indiscriminately

5/16/2019 9:25:07 AM #22

Done my tropical rainforest name pick.

5/16/2019 10:35:00 AM #23

Is there a poll for something akin to "unitribe" (like unisex just usable for every tribe), maybe more focused on their main trade, material of region and biome?

For example a gemstone mining/excavating/prospecting and processing region would be Jewelsalem (dibs taken), basicly connecting the name to the best income and fame/reputation generating resource.

Shroud to The Covenant of the Veil

5/16/2019 1:33:32 PM #24

There might have been a duplicate or two accidentally included.

In those cases, we'll simply keep the one that has the most votes of those duplicated, I don't think more than a couple slipped in, sorry about that!

Also, Crowfall won't be used whether voted on or not :)

Cheers,

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

5/16/2019 1:46:41 PM #25

Posted By Serpentius at 05:08 AM - Thu May 16 2019

I would like to add, that no D&SS testing time was harmed during the making of these polls XD

This actually made me chuckle

5/16/2019 2:53:30 PM #26

Posted By HolyAvengerOne at 12:13 AM - Thu May 16 2019

Posted By Scipion at 02:07 AM - Thu May 16 2019

I thought the names of locations would follow the constrictions for familynames in every biome corresponding to the dominant tribe...

Just saw this on the official Discord :

Hope it helps.

Was "Crowfall" created by the super smart generator or submitted by a fan? Either way I find it just about right that it made it past Q&A lol

5/16/2019 4:00:15 PM #27

To me, it seems like a lot of settlement names are among these. Is there a single generator for all names or are there separate generators for duchy, county and settlement names? If the latter is true, are the names that look like settlement names the names of their capitals as well? (I know that in real life some duchies have been named after the settlement in which the seat resides.)

Gladal County / Duchy of Lyon / Demalion Empire

5/16/2019 4:45:02 PM #28

Doing this!

Voting for everything with 'Pearl', 'Spider' or 'Xark' in it natch ;)

Bog names seemed a little coastal-centric (Angelica's Bog is land-locked).

Imgur

5/16/2019 6:10:08 PM #29

The Hexvalley, now that's an awesome name for a swamp duchy! I hope this one won't be temporary.

Happiness is reality minus expectation

5/16/2019 6:11:39 PM #30

Posted By Tinarius at 10:53 AM - Thu May 16 2019

Posted By HolyAvengerOne at 12:13 AM - Thu May 16 2019

Posted By Scipion at 02:07 AM - Thu May 16 2019

I thought the names of locations would follow the constrictions for familynames in every biome corresponding to the dominant tribe...

Just saw this on the official Discord :

Hope it helps.

Was "Crowfall" created by the super smart generator or submitted by a fan? Either way I find it just about right that it made it past Q&A lol

Well, I didn't make any claims on the actual cleverness of their algorithm, I was just reporting what Caspian had said.

But. It doesn't take a huge leap of faith to imagine an algorithm that builds the settlement names by applying a pseudo-random pick from one or more datasets (i.e. lists of words) onto one or more word lattices. Seeing two words like "crow" and "fall" on two of those possible datasets, in the context of a medieval-fantasy setting isn't too strange either, I surmise.

After that, it would boil down to probability, but we don't have enough information (dataset size, word lattices definitions, algorithm used, etc.) to calculate it directly. I suggest that it isn't essential to have the exact probability in order to infer that it was a reasonably probable to occur (that name, or sequence of words).

We can be reassured that it was likely to occur if we consider that : a) the lists used by SBS were probably manually read through and checked thoroughly, probably multiple times and by multiple devs; b) the algorithm and lattices don't have to be highly complex in order to produce a decent (most probably decent) proportion of word combinations that will work for their purpose; c) they probably have generated a metric crapton of names before coming to those lists posted.

If a name like "crowfall" made it into those lists, it's something that tells me more about the dev practices at stakes here. Have the devs been too busy for a number of years to notice the game "crowfall" in the same space as them (not likely)? Have they properly vetted that list's output (maybe)? Do they have a weird sense of humour (some days)?