COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
SBS, you need to hand over scheduling duty to someone else

With the recent Discord salt explosion (I was their) and public verbal whipping/catharsis of Caspian for once again missing his own delivery date. I think SBS needs to seriously consider some internal reorganization.

We already have an excellent thread about the proposed methodology for how SBS should set a public feature delivery date. The community is in full agreement that dates with a 100% failure rate are doing more harm then good. I fully agree that a new methodology should be adopted, publicly, by SBS in which they clearly lay out their criteria for how they set their delivery dates. I won't take a position on the method as I'm addressing a different point, that no new methodology will be adequate to even begin to rebuilt trust at this point without a change of of the person behind the methodology.

We have been through this cycle of missed dates, followed by apologies and promises enough times that Caspian has lost all personal credibility on that front. It's become clear that Caspian is in need of an 'intervention' here as small-business owner taking on too much and too close to his own work to see it objectively, it's damaging the SBS brand and likely stressing the staff internally most especially Caspian himself. Any future public dates must be CREATED by and DISSEMINATED by a new individual, ideally one with some experience as a game producer who can do better then to simply pass on the estimates of programmers (aka their needs to be a difference between internal and external due-dates). Caspian is fully respected as a designer and as a distributor of game-play ideas/concepts etc, but at this point any date he were to give would be only salt in the wound.

A 'no dates at all' policy is an option too (again one I won't take a stand on), but if their are going to be public dates of any kind they can't be by or from Caspian.

I hope that the employees of SBS will echo this sentiment to Caspian personally and volunteer for this role. I honestly think this needs to be the companies top priority right now both internally and externally, even higher then getting D&SS out the door ASAP. If we muddle through this latest mess without a fundamental change I and many other will not only lose faith in delivery date (that hit-point pool now being empty) but the ability of SBS to course correct when faced with any problem.

Seneschal for the Hrothi County of Iskar, Recruiter for the Duchy of Aritaur

https://discord.gg/qRQ3Zj6

5/15/2019 3:45:03 AM #16

polls seem like the best way for input.

The Keshi family, is intend on bringing democracy and economic stability to Elyria.

5/15/2019 12:41:40 PM #17

@sackeshi , We did a poll with 200 up-votes but it got ignored :/

I don't know anymore.

5/15/2019 4:46:03 PM #18

Loss of trust...huge problems...the same complainers are back at it again

lol

Wa Wa Wa a deadline wasn't met....boo fucking hoo

Games in development with a small team and finite resources

I hope the game comes out but I wont miss the few hundred bucks ive given them if it doesnt.

Ya'll are a bunch of entitled cry babies

5/15/2019 5:00:30 PM #19

There are three, four or five kinds of deadlines. The internal two you may never, ever hear about. The 'community involved' case is the one being adjusted and was the driving factor behind the well justified community uproar.

Business imperatives and marketing driven deadlines, or "dates" if you like, will continue to be given - rest your hat on it.

Don't fear a blanket solution - there is no such thing.

The thread was /endthread at Vucar's reply.

Imgur

5/15/2019 5:18:43 PM #20

I don't understand the like 50 replies like "we cant have 0 dates or dates need to be given or dates will always be given" between the 3 or 4 threads about this. Literally no one except for someone trolling wants them not to give a date and just release it out of no where. No, do what most major game studios or software development companies do, you don't announce a public hard date until a minimal viable product is ready.

Take Blizzard since it's one the most recent events. Like em or not, They announced classic version of WoW today/yesterday to release on august 27, you know what else came out today? The beta testing for said game. A minimal version of the game that is already been internally tested and publicly demoed and if needed, could release right now, that means their is almost 0 chance the game is delayed because it is essentially done. Its still buggy and is being tested and tuned and worked on during this period but it is in a state where if absolutely necessary it technically can be released. Until they had that minimal product all they said was "summer". This is what most major game studios and development companies do and what almost everyone who is frustrated would like to see as we explained in the poll thread with 200 upvotes.

Sure did people yell about "give us a date" 100000 times? YES, we are people, whether it's good for us or not, we will bug you about a date. However instead of cracking, they used it to drive hype for classic, leaving breadcumbs, "clues" and teasing us every step of the way. The correct way to handle pressure about dates.

edited

I don't know anymore.

5/15/2019 5:35:10 PM #21

Posted By TheCoz at 12:46 PM - Wed May 15 2019

lol

I hope the game comes out but I wont miss the few hundred bucks ive given them if it doesnt.

I am not sure if you are aware but I am working on my own computer game. It's all about selling a bridge in Brooklyn. If you could just give me a few hundred bucks and say 2 or 3 decades I am sure I will have it before long. Or maybe I won't but I am sure to give you release updates that mean nothing at all any time you want them :)

5/15/2019 7:08:00 PM #22

I for one am readying my vote for SBS to make in into the Hall of Fame for internet scams, only hiccup is Star Citzen is too far ahead in the line.

Click Banner To Visit town. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

5/15/2019 7:27:18 PM #23

Posted By Lodrig at 01:56 AM - Wed May 15 2019 Any claim that SBS has not lost trust and credibility at this point would be laughable.

edit: frekaing sfdoujnweliurowef editing in this forum is a mess. white horse stops

Having the guts to stand out and say, "welp, the deadline will not be met" multiple times is more trustworthy than just waiting for the discussions to die and keep on working. Just because it shows we're not here to be shafted.

Like with every other discussion regarding deadlines and whatnot my urge to slap people increases every time. It's stated in every funding programm, that you invest in something that will grant you something in regard when the investment goal is met. Investment goal = CoE is released, alpha phases .... depending on the investement.

5/15/2019 7:33:45 PM #24

This is a minor delay, so it really doesn't warrant all the handwringing.

That said, moving to an update system like SC has where we get details on what was accomplished in a given time frame as opposed to setting target dates for desired features would go a long way towards nixing all this stupid drama.

5/16/2019 2:48:06 AM #25

Posted By Julius Foederatus at 9:33 PM - Wed May 15 2019

That said, moving to an update system like SC has where we get details on what was accomplished in a given time frame as opposed to setting target dates for desired features would go a long way towards nixing all this stupid drama.

I feel like the communication around Star Citizen is so much healthier since they decided to do this. Every three months you get an update, you see what's been done. Sometimes it's big, sometimes it's just small things, no drama. No year-long anticipation for "jesus-patch" that gets delayed 10 times.

5/16/2019 6:15:22 AM #26

Posted By RedDoggybone at 10:35 AM - Wed May 15 2019

lol

I am not sure if you are aware but I am working on my own computer game. It's all about selling a bridge in Brooklyn. If you could just give me a few hundred bucks and say 2 or 3 decades I am sure I will have it before long. Or maybe I won't but I am sure to give you release updates that mean nothing at all any time you want them :)

Come up with a better game idea and Ill throw you some cash... until then scrub I shall drink to your game.

5/17/2019 12:55:53 PM #27

Posted By Julius Foederatus at 2:33 PM - Wed May 15 2019

Personally, I think SBS has done a great job being more transparent and releasing more info on a regular basis.

But I also agree with the other person's comment comparing to Blizzard about breadcrumbs and hype and not giving a date till there is some form of deliverable.

SBS did great on the map selection. I thought. But then hit some major obstacles with the land selection. Oh well. We live we learn we move on. #patientlywaiting

.....and then I'll smash it with a hammer!!!

5/17/2019 6:38:23 PM #28

Posted By TheCoz at 11:46 AM - Wed May 15 2019

lol

Whoa kinda a jerk, all I can say is people have a right to voice their opinions even if you don’t agree with them, but for you to post this bullshit is rediculous.

5/17/2019 6:51:29 PM #29

Posted By Leilah at 2:38 PM - Fri May 17 2019

Posted By TheCoz at 11:46 AM - Wed May 15 2019

lol

Whoa kinda a jerk, all I can say is people have a right to voice their opinions even if you don’t agree with them, but for you to post this bullshit is rediculous.

COE community is actually pretty toxic, especially the higher up the "rank" the person is, so it is something we'll have to accept as no community is free of these kind of people. You can see many of the higher pledged member's only input on this thread has been to silence the OP and those that agree with them, instead of seeing this as a viable constructive criticism that would help SBS succeed in not only player retention but also with gaining new players.

5/17/2019 8:05:29 PM #30

Posted By TheCoz at 02:15 AM - Thu May 16 2019

Posted By RedDoggybone at 10:35 AM - Wed May 15 2019

lol

Come up with a better game idea and Ill throw you some cash... until then scrub I shall drink to your game.

Hazzah! Fine ale shell flow in anciapaion of my first backer. Tell me kind whale of the future might thee have fellow whales willing to partake in our financial venture? I prefer the females of the species but beggars can not be choosers as they say.

Well you see kind whale, my idea for the game is there is this large heavily used expanse that traverses a large flow estuary. This expanse connects the counties of Brookline and Manny Hatten. Where they have many hats.

As it is. No more and no less. These many hats must be transported on this vast expanse in order for the rest of the kingdom to receive the many hats. The more hats we are able to cross the expanse with before it collapses, the more turtle white doves we may purchase for the talkywackers to transmute into pollywags. The rest of the game speaks for itself. If you and your fellow whales were to fund my game I can guarantee you a prime spot in the halls of Vicks. Where you will be rubbed down nightly. Or daily. Your choice. By 99 vestiule virgins.

When may I expect your check?