COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Consumerism in CoE?

What type of economy do you think the game will have.

A. Industrial

Industrial is where rich people make things for other rich people and governments to buy. Workers make scraps and spend all their money on food and shelter. Basically you have the alrta wealthy class and the poor peasant class.

B. Consumer

Consumer is where products are made for the average Joe and the workers get paid enough to spend money on items. Allowing for a middle class.

I think for a long while type A will be the way CoE economics works since the power structure will be such that the rich will want to keep the poor poor and same with the government to better hold power.

The Keshi family, is intend on bringing democracy and economic stability to Elyria.

5/9/2019 12:43:06 AM #1

I think, most people will be self-made-workers instead of employed by someone. I dont see big companies existing at launch. Maybe, some guilds will thrive for maximized profit sooner or later, and there certainly will be big gaps in wealth... but I guess, even poorer people will get enough ressources to survive and have some spare time for adventures. I guess, there will be many characters, especially players, that wont work all day, especially not when they are online, but instead use their active time for adventuring or exploration and mostly work/craft with OPC. Therefore, if the game wouldn't allow survival / enough money for a living with "just" 20h per day of usual work stuff, then people will get annoyed and leave... which will be, why it will be balanced to be enough for survival.

Friend Code: 30EF47

5/9/2019 12:44:42 AM #2

Since this will be a game, I highly doubt we will see the level of poverty you've described in the industrial economy. Since it isnt people's lives on the line, I highly doubt we will have people willing to work for pennies on the dollar all so another player can make most of the profits. There will have to be some sort of fun factor or reward, or else people will just log off and play another game. If someone needs to save up for a month just so they can buy a basic sword and go adventuring, people wont be happy and may just quit.

5/9/2019 2:49:38 AM #3

I'm going to make any goods exported ONLY tradable in my home currency, that creates a demand for my "dollars" in other Kingdoms, that in which I create out of thin air on 24/7 printing presses to buy hard goods from foreign Kingdoms with an ever deflating value.

With these hard goods (military equipment) bought with my now fiat currency, I will be able to field a massive combined arms military and strong arm any nation that has oil...cough..I mean the "high ground" and overthrow any Kingdom that doesn't set up a S.W.I.F.T operated central banking system that I control.

If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization. -Robert Noyce

5/9/2019 3:10:37 AM #4

Posted By Lord_Greystoke at 10:49 PM - Wed May 08 2019

I'm going to make any goods exported ONLY tradable in my home currency, that creates a demand for my "dollars" in other Kingdoms, that in which I create out of thin air on 24/7 printing presses to buy hard goods from foreign Kingdoms with an ever deflating value.

With these hard goods (military equipment) bought with my now fiat currency, I will be able to field a massive combined arms military and strong arm any nation that has oil...cough..I mean the "high ground" and overthrow any Kingdom that doesn't set up a S.W.I.F.T operated central banking system that I control.

My central bank that has money backed by gold and silver will make your fiat currency worthless and people will only trade for the Gold and Silver backs

The Keshi family, is intend on bringing democracy and economic stability to Elyria.

5/9/2019 3:14:09 AM #5

Highly doubt the standards of "living" in Elyria will differ much between nobles and the gentry after some time has passed. If you play long enough as an adventurer or business owner you'll be able to afford good equipment, mounts, a manor of your own, etc. Even if you don't have any political responsibilities.

5/10/2019 9:30:19 PM #6

I'm guessing it will be neither, but some middle ground in between depending on your particular location and profession.

Another variable will also be what type of general overarching economic systems the various "rulers" chose to implement.

And this may also vary from tribe to tribe depending on how closely they want to adhere to the lore etc.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

5/12/2019 9:47:05 PM #7

Would be interesting for a pre-industrial society to have either an industrial or consumer-based economy. Anything remotely realistic would involve the majority of the populace being subsistence farmers.