COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Magic - Summonig/Necromancy

Hey,

I've got a question. I have already read a lot about the game on the wiki and also watched tons of yt videos, but apparently there is not much information about magic. Do you guys perhaps know what types of magic there will be in-game and if there will be some kind of summonig/necromancy magic?

4/20/2019 1:19:52 AM #1

Official answer: magic is a myth.

Basically, the game is low-fantasy on the surface, but will have mid-fantasy elements at its depths, which will be unraveled the further the story progresses.

You may also want to read about talents on the wiki. That's essentially the "magic system" in the game. It will be rare, but will make up for its rareness by being powerful.

4/20/2019 1:29:22 AM #2

Any information on magic is being intentionally concealed, except for some trickled information on talents by way of legends an myths, as referenced by ShadowTani.

A similar situation exists with respect to religion and the possibility of "divine magic".

4/20/2019 5:47:56 AM #3

Don’t count on being a mage, or ever seeing magic.
If you see magic, or get magic, you’ll have to explore it in game, but that’s unlikely and special.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

4/23/2019 8:30:39 PM #4

There are "Talents" that can be unlocked, and magic is one of those Talents. Magic is part of this world, but the Talents are completely random with their ability and random on how they are unlocked. Once unlocked these Talents are always available to the player. Unless what I have read has changed.

I have a Rocket Launcher. Your Argument is Invalid.

4/23/2019 9:38:34 PM #5

Posted By PhKnight at 10:30 PM - Tue Apr 23 2019

There are "Talents" that can be unlocked, and magic is one of those Talents. Magic is part of this world, but the Talents are completely random with their ability and random on how they are unlocked. Once unlocked these Talents are always available to the player. Unless what I have read has changed.

it changed to only being available for the current lifetime. the talents are now characterbound, no longer soulbound.

Friend Code: 30EF47

4/24/2019 10:35:45 AM #6

People with Talents will probably get into a lot of trouble and it might get them killed early. Even more so if that Talent makes them famous...

You get the power to summon a Glass of water once every day.... First you think, cool... Then it dawns on you... You're so very very dead! You're a freak and everyone is comming for you! Thank you very much FATE! THAT WAS VERY HELPFUL!

Friend Code: 6CC04C

4/24/2019 1:47:32 PM #7

Posted By Gromschlog at 4:38 PM - Tue Apr 23 2019

it changed to only being available for the current lifetime. the talents are now characterbound, no longer soulbound.

Thanks for the update. Talents should be fun to play. Just wish they were not random, but I understand the need for them to be.

I have a Rocket Launcher. Your Argument is Invalid.

4/24/2019 2:34:04 PM #8

Posted By Alberos at 05:35 AM - Wed Apr 24 2019

People with Talents will probably get into a lot of trouble and it might get them killed early. Even more so if that Talent makes them famous...

You get the power to summon a Glass of water once every day.... First you think, cool... Then it dawns on you... You're so very very dead! You're a freak and everyone is comming for you! Thank you very much FATE! THAT WAS VERY HELPFUL!

Caspian literally said on discord that talents would be powerful, people with talents should either be feared or worshipped, and they can single handedly affect the story directly.

I think we are seriously underestimating the power of talents.

Note that caspian is a big fan of wheel of time (I have never read it) and he did say talents will be like Ta’veren

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Ta%

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

5/2/2019 9:55:01 AM #9

As people said, magic is mythical and mostly "made up" stories by people.

For this game, think game of thrones level of magic. There are a few mythical creatures and magic does exist but is rare and a frightful sight for most people.

5/7/2019 4:17:50 PM #10

I do hope that our understanding of general magic increases as time goes on. Perhaps to a point where we could research SOME spells on our own, albeit much later down the line?

Nothing too grand, I'd imagine. Talents would be comparable to "6th to 9th level spells" in DnD terms of relative power. Meteor summoning, waterbreathing, wildspeech, plane shifting, etc.

While what most folk with no "talent" dedicating their lives to study can pick up some parlor tricks. Levitating small objects, magical light, some minor illusions, etc.

Count Zachariah Ardent of Vigil

Founder of the Plague Doctors Without Borders
5/7/2019 4:59:59 PM #11

Posted By zimmah at 09:34 AM - Wed Apr 24 2019

Posted By Alberos at 05:35 AM - Wed Apr 24 2019

Caspian literally said on discord that talents would be powerful, people with talents should either be feared or worshipped, and they can single handedly affect the story directly.

I think we are seriously underestimating the power of talents.

Note that caspian is a big fan of wheel of time (I have never read it) and he did say talents will be like Ta’veren

Erm... hunh?

Ta’veren are people who are natural swirl points in the age lace of the wheel of time. They have no power, except that their presence causes aberrations in probability.

If that’s all that talents do, I will be disappointed, lol.

(Big WoT fan)