COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
Guild Cities

What do you think of the idea of guild cities? like if a guild is big enough all members gather at one point to form a village other guilds could join to create a citie where each guild contols a sector? I think it would be funny if we could create sort of a free citie, like the free cities in the holy roman empire where the leaders of the citie are only overruled by the king of the country they are in, but dont have to pay taxes to lords.

4/15/2019 2:08:49 PM #1

It's possible to create your own settlement (or build off an existing one), you still have to worry about sustainability of it. Can the land support the population with resources (or maybe your guild makes a lot of money elsewhere and trades for everything they need, like a fortress). But as far as ultimate control of law and land goes, I imagine it would still be under the laws of the county\duchy\kingdom that the land 'belongs' to.

Perhaps you can make arrangements with the aristocracy\nobles toward your 'free city' goal. I imagine you would need to provide some sort of kickback in return... perhaps your guilds swords as a defensive measure (essentially becoming a barony\fort).

4/15/2019 3:02:08 PM #2

Nothing I've read about CoE has lead me to believe this is not possible.

In fact, if your guild just decides to create a completely free city, not beholden to anyone at all, you can do so, annexing your land from a kingdom.

You'd have to then hold those lands against attack, but if you can do that? you're golden.

4/15/2019 3:21:16 PM #3

Any guild that owns enough land will do this. I know the the Order i'm a part of, the Order itself will own enough land to have a controlling stake in the politics of the towns.

4/15/2019 4:27:55 PM #4

Posted By Halo_Jack at

What do you think of the idea of guild cities? like if a guild is big enough all members gather at one point to form a village other guilds could join to create a citie where each guild contols a sector? I think it would be funny if we could create sort of a free citie, like the free cities in the holy roman empire where the leaders of the citie are only overruled by the king of the country they are in, but dont have to pay taxes to lords.

You’re thinking way too small dude, ever heard of the Hanseatic League?

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

4/15/2019 4:47:35 PM #5

Posted By zimmah at 6:27 PM - Mon Apr 15 2019

You’re thinking way too small dude, ever heard of the Hanseatic League?

Well that would be the next step i guess, form a pakt with other free cities for trade and defense... kinda like it happend in history

4/16/2019 8:54:19 AM #6

I am of the opinion that free cities won't work unless they bring some extremely tangible benefit to the lords of the domains in which they are located. Exemption from taxes is particularly unlikely unless financial offsets to the lords' incomes are substantially greater than the taxes exempted.

4/16/2019 11:54:06 AM #7

Posted By Poldano at 09:54 AM - Tue Apr 16 2019

I am of the opinion that free cities won't work unless they bring some extremely tangible benefit to the lords of the domains in which they are located. Exemption from taxes is particularly unlikely unless financial offsets to the lords' incomes are substantially greater than the taxes exempted.

^ This

Free cities, neutral cities, whatever you want to call them aren't going to exist without some form of incentive to the local lord, or the ability to deny their overlords militarily.

Coming Soon(tm)

4/16/2019 2:03:27 PM #8

I think free cities should take a different form. A free city could be free only at the city or municipal level. If an organization owns enough land as an incorporated entity, unless your government has laws against it, you could have the city of starbucks, or the county of starbucks because starbucks owns the vote through land percentages.