COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
How cool would it be if Microsoft Published COE?

I think this is a great idea.

Microsoft has been buying game studios left right and centre. It is possible to crowdfund all the way...but with a good backing, more additions can be made to the team to move it along at a faster pace.

I believe that Microsoft would let Caspian make the game he wants to make. Caspian used to work for Microsoft, so they would be able to understand SBS's capability to produce a profitable game. What do you guys think?

3/18/2019 3:34:42 AM #1

I mean.. there is so much speculation in that it is crazy. It would depend on what they negotiated at the end of the day, and there is no way for us to say how that would go.

3/18/2019 3:43:45 AM #2

Just a bit better than EA was the publisher, or SOE for that matter. Both of which would make me walk away from CoE

Zaldara Blackstan, Count of Stíelanheorte Mayor of Blaecstanbury

3/18/2019 5:47:54 AM #3

Posted By Rasigan at

Microsoft has been buying game studios left right and centre.

Triple A companies buying other companies, imo is a bad thing. Just look at EA and their long list of destroyed game series. Not sure why you said this though, just seems a random thing. Unless you want SBS to be brought out and destroyed.

SBS gaining financial support, from anywhere, would be awesome. Assuming they kept their paws off it and didn't go like most games these days. Trying to milk the fuck out of gamers.

But I would rather they stay away from the few big ones. Nothing good would come of it.

3/18/2019 6:00:10 AM #4

Publishers in general limit creativity, I don't like it.

I liked games better when the studios that made the games actually cares about fun more than profit.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

3/18/2019 8:45:32 AM #5

The greatest would be if they go live without a publisher. There was some discussion I think that they would do it if they reach 5,5mio.

Publishers are just looking for money. Cash-shops are killing the games mostly and that is because of pay to win items that the publishers put in to get more money out of a game

3/18/2019 1:29:52 PM #6

Microsoft buying CoE would make me walk away from this game despite the money I've put into it.

Coming Soon(tm)

3/18/2019 2:37:33 PM #7

Posted By Hallvard at 04:45 AM - Mon Mar 18 2019

The greatest would be if they go live without a publisher. There was some discussion I think that they would do it if they reach 5,5mio.

Publishers are just looking for money. Cash-shops are killing the games mostly and that is because of pay to win items that the publishers put in to get more money out of a game

Not all publishers are the same. Look at sony. they are not cash grabing with their games. microsoft falls under the same circumstance. they are trying to build a roster of studios to have great exclusives for windows and xbox to sell their console and operating system.

its not hard to see that crowdfunding alone will drag the project on longer than having a publisher. sony wont buy since they just sold SOE. no one wants EA. any ideas on who could be better than microsoft?

i feel any other publisher would want to monetize. dont say self publish. iam pretty sure caspian is still looking for publishers.

3/18/2019 2:54:59 PM #8

Posted By Rasigan at 07:37 AM - Mon Mar 18 2019

Not all publishers are the same. Look at sony. they are not cash grabing with their games.

You don't know your history very well, or were too young to remember what happened to SWG.

3/18/2019 3:01:58 PM #9

Posted By Rasigan at 01:37 AM - Tue Mar 19 2019

Not all publishers are the same. Look at sony. they are not cash grabing with their games. microsoft falls under the same circumstance. they are trying to build a roster of studios to have great exclusives for windows and xbox to sell their console and operating system.

True not all publishers are the same. But they do push studios all the same. I followed NMS pretty closely before it launched. You could see the affect Sony was having on them. PC community got so slowly pushed to the side as well. When things like delays were released. While clearly that game had many problems around launch. Having a big publisher, no doubt didn't help things.

If things would have been different, if they didn't have them breathing down their neck, well could argue that point all day long. But the point, if SBS got with one of them. They would have their own deadlines/goals, with the publisher. Missing them, much worse than any goals they miss now.

I would rather they stay independent as long as possible, even if that means the game takes longer. So when they finally find an publisher. They don't have to fold to some BS and can find a good one.

3/18/2019 4:01:24 PM #10

Posted By Rasigan at

How cool would it be if Microsoft Published COE?

HAH!

...I'm sorry, are we really talking about Microsoft here? Microsoft ruins games, unrepentantly riddles their software with spyware, and is generally everything people don't want a game like CoE to be managed by.

Sorry if this comes off as harsh, OP, but I cannot forsee any circumstance in which Microsoft having a stake in this game would be a good thing for its future.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

3/19/2019 5:01:06 AM #11

I'm not as negative on Microsoft as some people, but I'm all too familiar with the stupid stuff they have done and still do, so I would not be enthusiastic about Microsoft as either a publisher or as a backer. That being said, I don't think Microsoft will touch CoE without forcing a port to a current or future XBox. Caspian having worked at Microsoft is mostly irrelevant, except that he may know people in a position of influence there. Having worked there, he is probably more aware than most of their dubious achievements, questionable policies, and unsavory practices.

3/19/2019 5:34:22 AM #12

Well, they've not really had any good releases....so not cool. I just hope they make it to steam. That's where the real playerbase will come from.

3/19/2019 7:25:23 AM #13

Not very cool. However, what would be cool is if some Microsoft retiree provided SBS with a ton of money as a hands off angel investor.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

3/19/2019 3:49:20 PM #14

Out of the big money people I think they'll handle it the best. Microsoft has been known to destroy a few games. They also like to make the most money possible in their games too. Looking at horizon 4. However me, I don't really care about that type of monetization anymore.

3/19/2019 3:58:40 PM #15

Amazon would be the dream or even google imo.