COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Why I still keep my hopes up.

I make no qualms that my enthusiasm has ebbed due to missed deadlines and the constant "sales".

That being said, I have recently been trying multiple single and mmo rpgs and have been bitterly disappointed with every single one. If COE launches with even half of their planned mechanics I will be more than happy.

Finally if D&S selection comes on time I believe I will be more enthusiastic about the project.

In conclusion Please keep going and hit this target.

3/14/2019 7:19:41 PM #1

ok then.

3/14/2019 7:46:01 PM #2

I mean, if they had an option for funding the project that didn't include sales of items for the game, while ALSO not being at the whims of producers that want the game to be all about loot boxes and microtransactions, then I'm sure the devs would have taken it. Games are expensive, a game like this moreso. I'm fine with them doing sales if it means the game gets made at all.

Death is just another path, one we all must take

Friend Code: C8DF9C

3/14/2019 7:59:48 PM #3

All I want is a good enough stream of information about THE GAME. No more sale promotions spamming the "announcements" page. They are fine and all but I just want info on how the GAME goes.

• Proprietor • Programmer • Gamer • PsalmFirewall • NA-W • Friend Code: 62E37D •

3/14/2019 8:14:43 PM #4

I have to agree with Zeek, the sales aren't a problem until they, among other things, block up a stream I once joyfully checked for more info on a game that actively had new information around it.

KelvinRiley a.k.a. Xander Renécius

Citizen of Firaminé, Para Bellum, Ksana, and Riftwood.

3/14/2019 9:37:15 PM #5

To me the issue has less to do with the actual sales (we all know the game needs revenue to keep being built) but in how they are presented.

Communication has and continues to be the Achilles heal of SBS. It’s spurty, spoty and largely only organized on Discord. Discussions like what take place in the soul chamber and random info dumps by the various devs are made on discord because “nothing said on discord is set in stone and is always subject to change”. Well yeah and the game isn’t even in alpha yet everything is subject to change. Yet they rarely add to the actual site. Not since the launch tribes announcement has the site undergone much of a facelift or had new areas added.

Outside of discord communication is largely handled by volunteers and the Wiki team. Sure there is the SoE post and snipe randomly drops some info but by and large there are no new sections for architecture, or anything they are just posted in regular forum posts.

Yet the sales and promotions get front page access and are touted in email blasts. To those who don’t follow the development on a regular basis and don’t frequent discord it looks like a lot of open hand give us your money sales rather than meat and potatoes updates.

I fully understand how their development philosophy works and in the beginning they have very little to show. But those who miss the SoE might not grasp this and new arrivals? Forget about it. If SBS wants to fix their image they need to hire a fan facing position and have an actually community manager again even if just a volunteer. Someone who can make sure the sales are advertised but also make sure there is enough visible progress to show people what their money is going to.

Digging and searching through discord isn’t how a AAA company should disseminate information while asking for funding.

3/14/2019 9:54:35 PM #6

With respect to the website, I think it would be great to see it continue to evolve and be used in more creative ways. Maybe this will get some attention if and when the studio hires the Director of Marketing that was mentioned in the State of Elyria recently.

3/14/2019 10:36:58 PM #7

I'm going to be honest, I was disappointed to see no more gameplay or other development videos since I was last here in early 2018. I know they have funding problems so I assume not much else has happened. I'm still looking forward to this game if it eventually gets released but I'm not keeping my standards high or anything.

The mmorpg genre is relatively dead so I'm ok with waiting for all the new games even it takes a few years.

3/15/2019 7:16:31 AM #8

I'll agree that I'm not at all impressed by current RPG and MMO offerings.

3/15/2019 12:40:42 PM #9

Posted By Hady at 6:36 PM - Thu Mar 14 2019

I know they have funding problems

Re-read the State of Elyria. A studio that has funding problems isn't hiring three new developers or moving into a larger office space.

3/19/2019 5:27:40 PM #10

Posted By mickdude2 at 12:40 PM - Fri Mar 15 2019

I know they have funding problems

Re-read the State of Elyria. A studio that has funding problems isn't hiring three new developers or moving into a larger office space.

They were moving into new offices ages ago btw

3/19/2019 11:08:27 PM #11

I'm going to be honest, I was disappointed to see no more gameplay or other development videos since I was last here in early 2018. I know they have funding problems so I assume not much else has happened. I'm still looking forward to this game if it eventually gets released but I'm not keeping my standards high or anything.

Since 90% of what they're working on now has been back end stuff, there isn't anything to actually show. That doesn't mean there hasn't been HUGE leaps in development.

3/19/2019 11:34:09 PM #12

Posted By Sir_Skylos at

I make no qualms that my enthusiasm has ebbed due to missed deadlines and the constant "sales".

That being said, I have recently been trying multiple single and mmo rpgs and have been bitterly disappointed with every single one. If COE launches with even half of their planned mechanics I will be more than happy.

Finally if D&S selection comes on time I believe I will be more enthusiastic about the project.

In conclusion Please keep going and hit this target.

I keep forgetting you non 10k lads are in a bit of different world. Well as you know, NDA and all that but I want to assure you, keep the mood high.

Think of it this way, you're not buying premade dough from the store for cookies, you're making the dough from scratch, it's an art in itself.

If it is any aid, there is a game doing a lot similar but more PvP called Camelot Unchained that started around the same time CoE went in development and we're beating them by $300,000 more in small individual donations/purchases.

3/19/2019 11:38:41 PM #13

Posted By Soliloquy at 7:08 PM - Tue Mar 19 2019

Since 90% of what they're working on now has been back end stuff, there isn't anything to actually show. That doesn't mean there hasn't been HUGE leaps in development.

Maybe yes. Maybe no. We just really don't know. I mean I am not saying they are not saying the truth about the back end stuff but what exactly else do you expect them to say about the lack of new content to see? But what worries me is the stuff they do say they are working on for our greedy little eyes to see. We really haven't seen much of that either.

3/20/2019 2:23:15 AM #14

Posted By Sir_Skylos at

I know what you mean!! Everything on the market has been disappointing. With what SBS has already developed I'd be happy to choose this game over those others.

"If we wait until we are ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives..." code: CD83B4