COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
So, about IP tokens?

I have seen some rumblings and comments in Discord regarding potentially having IP tokens as a way for community members to contribute upward to their nobility/leaders, increasing their overall IP, and accordingly, their DSS placement order.

Now, I understand that we don't have any details on this, and it's still up in the air, but I admit to some confusion...

Allowing people to pledge upwards to nobility, and thus provide IP to that noble based on the pledge, was suggested, and shot down, as being too vulnerable to exploitation and abuse (I would need to try and find the old conversations - not sure whether they happened in Discord or the forums).

So, that being said, my question (legitimately, no sarcasm here) is how is this system not going to face the same issues, with the added complication of additional monetization?

Thanks!

Imgur

3/14/2019 1:49:09 PM #1

As I recall what was decided against was locking people in to geographical positions by pledging loyalty to someone and giving their liege lord influence via that method.

From what I gather this is an entirely new and different method whereby you simply buy and pass on tokens, which isn't really an exploit since a person could up their own IP anyway just from buying anything from the store.

3/14/2019 1:57:05 PM #2

True, and I am not against the system because I think it is bad, I am simply against it because it basically turns the current IP system, and way of accumulating it, on its head.

If this had been put in place months ago, and allowed people time to plan and react, I would probably be all for it.

However, here we are a few weeks from DSS, and doing a 180 on how people are able to obtain IP.

Imgur

3/14/2019 2:13:23 PM #3

I don't see how it changes much though. As I said someone can up their own IP anyway by buying stuff. Very few people would wanna spend their own money to increase someone elses influence and even without the tokens system if people were that desperate to increase someone elses influence they could just paypal them some money and say "here buy something on me".

3/14/2019 2:45:28 PM #4

My objection to it is that it seems slightly skeezy. I feel the same sort of unease about it as I did about that group that started a crowdfunding campaign for a title during KS.

Probably just my natural suspicious nature but....

Coming Soon(tm)

3/14/2019 2:55:21 PM #5

@Chipla

Maybe that's the issue I have, too. Something about it just feels off.

Maybe when/if we see the details, I will feel better. Right now, though, I don't think I am a fan of the idea.

Maybe I am just paranoid as well.

Imgur

3/14/2019 3:24:57 PM #6

Sure this wasn't just random chat happening on discord? Not to be taken at all seriously. I can't see SBS bringing anything this new out, this close to DSS. Just seems really foolish.

3/14/2019 3:40:49 PM #7

Posted By chipla at 2:45 PM - Thu Mar 14 2019

I feel the same sort of unease about it

Unless you have powers of premonition I doubt a feeling of unease is an acceptable form of prediction.

3/14/2019 3:45:03 PM #8

Posted By Gunnlang at 11:24 AM - Thu Mar 14 2019

Sure this wasn't just random chat happening on discord? Not to be taken at all seriously. I can't see SBS bringing anything this new out, this close to DSS. Just seems really foolish.

I know we aren't really supposed to quote devs comments in discord, but this wasn't just random chatter.

Imgur

3/14/2019 3:51:47 PM #9

Posted By Marovec at 02:45 AM - Fri Mar 15 2019

I know we aren't really supposed to quote devs comments in discord, but this wasn't just random chatter.

Wasn't meaning that whole no quote thing. More meaning, someone said this idea and Caspian happen to be around. Then it grew from there. I can't see SBS really doing this either way, it's way too close to DSS for some last minute change.

3/14/2019 4:41:43 PM #10

I hope you are right. I got the impression it was a bit more concrete than that, which is why I made the post.

If it is still something they are percolating on, discussion might make them reconsider if people really like it or not.

Imgur

3/14/2019 5:41:34 PM #11

If anything it will be like the guild and villager tokens, in which you will be limited to only buying a certain amount of each. (I believe it was 3x for guild and villager tokens each that I was limited to buying) After that, you can't buy anymore, however there is no limit to how many a person can receive from people sending them to that person. So if they do implement IP tokens with the same such or similar limitation, I won't have a problem with it. If however there is no limit to the amount of IP tokens that can be bought by an individual, then I would have a problem with IP tokens in general.

Count Ruthgar Rugharin, County of Bragen Veld, Duchy - Conclave of Aritaur, Kingdom of Vornair.

3/15/2019 7:53:11 AM #12

Posted By Marovec at 08:45 AM - Thu Mar 14 2019

Posted By Gunnlang at 11:24 AM - Thu Mar 14 2019

I don't think there is any proscription against quoting dev's comments from discord, as long as you make it known that they are comments from discord and therefore not official. That's the easiest way for people who do not frequent discord to find out about some things, and subsequently make their yeas or nays known.

3/15/2019 11:35:02 AM #13

Posted By Stormbreaker at 3:40 PM - Thu Mar 14 2019

Posted By chipla at 2:45 PM - Thu Mar 14 2019

I feel the same sort of unease about it

Unless you have powers of premonition I doubt a feeling of unease is an acceptable form of prediction.

I hold a reasonable suspicion based on my previous experience both within CoE and the wider games industry, including MMOs in which I have served as support staff.

Coming Soon(tm)

3/15/2019 12:48:46 PM #14

Personally I don't actually see a problem with this. I see many good opportunities here. First of course being that established communities could show support for their Monarch by helping them jostle for picking position during DSS in an official way. As was already pointed out this could also be achieved via paypal so I don't really see the harm in having an official way to do it. Additionally, with an IP token sold on the store, SBS gets some additional crowd funding, as opposed to direct paypal, which isn't a bad thing.

We are getting close to DSS according to the The Calm Before the Storm, so would this be a bit of an "arms race"? Potentially, but it would only last a few weeks, and should only make you feel nervous if you are worried about your Monarch losing their place in line. All part of the Dance of Dynasties really.

Lastly, just because a token is introduced to the store, doesn't mean you have to buy one. With regard to setting a limit on them, I feel that unless you allow a decent limit per account with Elyrian or better, you'll just cause mass dummy accounts to be created. I could reasonably see 10 tokens per account. Allows one to help their Monarch and garners up to $100 for SBS.

3/15/2019 12:57:16 PM #15

@Devil

Like I said, I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong with the system (barring the potential opportunity for abuse like the pledging idea, but that's speculation), I just don't like the idea they might be doing this a few weeks before DSS.

Good, bad, or indifferent, the IP system has, up until now, been a "personal" one. We can argue about whether or not that is a good system all day long, but the fact is that is how it is set up.

Now, suddenly (potentially), they want to turn that on its head and make it a "community" system.

That would have been fine if they did that a few months ago, but they didnt.

I don't know that I agree with fundamentally changing the way IP works, without providing enough time for people to adjust accordingly.

It's bad planning IMO.

But that's to be expected when you put a rush deadline on the biggest event to happen to CoE since its inception.

Imgur