COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What to do about the bad guys.

There are many people who are afraid of brigands and highway robbers. What can we do about them? I suggest upon capture offer them a contract to guard the roads. It would be the same thing really, except they would be paid in road tolls they would collect. When new brigands and such appear they would deal with them and the stronger brigand group ought to get the road. The weaker brigand should be allowed to enlist in military operations and become stronger to take back their road contract or something like that. We can find many ways for both parties to be happy. Briganda were essentially just taking the tax in the first place, but this way at least they would have more incentive to kill other brigands

The nicest pig in the world and a little cute.

1/21/2019 12:26:11 AM #1

When it comes to criminals one of the best things you can do to prevent AND combat them is having strong and reliable information networks. As they commit crimes, people will generate event/information tokens. As long as this information is being spread the risk|reward factor decreases for the criminal. You'll never be able to totally stop it, but you can make them select easier marks.

Which is a good time to mention the nuance of the guile skill tree. Lots of people (especially nobility) are nervous of anyone partaking in these skills. But these skills are excellent and major ways to collect and distribute information. So its important to not judge all actions and choices on face value, because if you keep your cool you might be able to turn an enemy into an awesome ally.

This is kind of touching on what you spoke about, with brigands guarding roads. Needless to say, life is complicated and rarely follows anyone's plans. So after recognizing that it all comes down to context, relations and enforcement. In this scenario you're now accountable for all the wrong they do. So you wanna make damn sure they're not abusing that like crazy without seeing fierce consequences on their spark.

1/21/2019 12:40:42 AM #2

Bring a friend, for safety is in the numbers. Stay vigilent, and pay attention to your surroundings. Be prepared, its the motto of the boyscouts. Be quicker with your words then your weapon. Defend yourself if necessary for your survival. Slay them if there are no other options left. Do those things and you might make it home in one piece.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

1/21/2019 12:48:08 AM #3

That is a good idea, but on a case-by-case basis. It worked for the Texas Rangers and the Bowstreet Runners. It is basically the story of Vidocq. But, people who play deviants out of a desire to be deviant aren’t really good candidates for such recruitment.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

1/21/2019 1:30:49 AM #4

hang them from the nearest tree as a warning to others that might want to do something similar,

1/21/2019 1:51:39 AM #5

^ one of the bad guys @ZariusFontaine

1/21/2019 2:08:55 AM #6

What I was going to do for my county is have books that teach basic forensics skills. Have it so merchants and civilians have the chance to spot easy clues or tricks. Make it so criminals can't get easy marks where you are. Also, when you do arrest a criminal make sure everyone knows. Put it in a paper or on a billboard. Go after their reputation. Make it harder for them to live anywhere nearby.

I think the physical attacks will be easier to deal with than other deviant activities. If someone attacks you, you already have a lot of evidence against them right there and whatever they take they have to move it somewhere. They also have to worry about eating/drinking, repairing gear, selling what they stole, leveling deviant skill period, looking over their shoulder whenever they go near or in a town. I personally think PvP will rise at the start, then drop down once people get tired of the slowed progression, and then rise again when the smart criminals become skilled.

1/21/2019 3:02:30 AM #7

Bad guys make better good guys. They have compassion too, and on good or great days can make gamplay more fun. Bad guys make alot of friends easily because of these good days. On not so good days they have much more killing and such, but they can be great people if you get to know them.

1/21/2019 11:23:27 AM #8

I doubt highwaymen will agree, in most cases, to guard. Nor would you want them to. That's exactly how you breed unloyal people who will be ripping off your merchants. ;)

The Akashic Records

1/21/2019 4:22:57 PM #9

Its called road toll lol. Contracts will help solve the issue some but its no different than your risk with regular guards

1/21/2019 5:03:39 PM #10

I like the idea of trying to use Criminals to your advantage. Offering them up legal ways to continue their trade can't hurt, and if they refuse you're back to sending them to the stockades or jail.

Its like in the old days where the Judge said "Join the army or go to jail" lol.

I think a lot of folks might consider it, if they could legit keep the play style they like and not be illegal.

Of course that won't work for every case, as I wouldn't accept a Letter of Marques! I'm all about my personal freedoms! But that doesn't mean others wouldn't!

1/21/2019 5:56:30 PM #11

i think an issue though, with getting them to guard the roads, is that this will likely drastically reduce the amount of combat they get to engage in, especially if you were to convert a large amount of them.

where if they can just attack whenever they want... at least this seems to me what some people may think, just to play devils advocate here. (the concern here is not whether or not they would actually get less combat overall, but whether most people would think that they would, and therefore refuse or betray shortly after accepting.)

1/22/2019 1:28:48 AM #12

This does not seem like an effective idea. Most hostile players are just that, hostile. Its likely they would fight to the death in the first place. A non famous character does not suffer significant decay so there would be little reason not to go down swinging.

In the event you do capture someone and they do agree to sign your contract. Most will happily violate such a contract as they operated outside the law already. If they are smart they may even continue to rob people for a limited time as you pay them.

UDL

1/22/2019 1:41:00 AM #13

Kill them. That's what murder-hobo alts are for.

Friend Code: 1C7762

1/22/2019 3:38:15 PM #14

Theres a trend among the world that makes me sad sometimes. When you kill the bad guy, via drugdealer trafficker ect, they don't disappear. They get replaced by someone bigger and tougher. If you save someone from these types of people they just find more victims. Its a cruel rule,

1/22/2019 6:48:58 PM #15

Is this about NPC, player or both types of bandits?

While I would agree with giving NPC bandits the opportunity to change into a law abiding citizen again, a player is ultimately gonna do what he or she wants. I can see some may be interested, but most likely are bandits because they want to play like that.

Shroud to The Covenant of the Veil