COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What kind of baron do you want ?

It is not yet close the time when we'll see Barons, but before they become Baron they will all be Mayor, and the time when we'll have Mayors select their settlement is near.

Why do i ask the question ? Because most often when you hear talks about Baron, people talk about PvP skill and inclinations, they talk about fighters......

But the primary role of a Baron is not to fight, at least not more than it is the role of a lumberjack to be a carpenter or of a smith to be a swashbuckler.

The primary role of a Baron is to be an administrator, to run its settlement and to fulfill the contract it signed with the Duke. A contract that do not talk about fighting but about administration.

The contract between a Duke and a Baron is about building military oriented buildings and to maintain them, to recruit, feed, equip, train and support troops.

Not that a Baron able to fulfill that role and who's able on top to lead troops and fight is a bad thing, but combat prowess and leadership are not required, they are a bonus, while administration skills are required.

Keep that in mind when selecting your settlement or recruiting vassals, and do not forget, a baron is first a mayor and as such the vassal of a Count, a link that is not replaced, overruled or changed when the Mayor sign a Baron contract with the Duke, all Barons are the vassals and as such serve their liege lord the Count.

1/18/2019 6:14:04 PM #1

I’m partial to Sacha, Baron Cohen, myself.

But seriously, while you are right that the primary duty of a baron is not to fight, but to maintain a military establishment, the bottom line is that a baron’s duties are defined by fighting and maintaining/building fighting capability. Mayors are about trade and economic growth. Barons are about military logistics, defense, and power projection.

Further, personal fighting ability has always been part of the charisma package that supports that role. For instance, one way a baron can do the job is to recruit the best team of PvPers out there — and that usually requires that they be a very good PvPer in their own right.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

1/18/2019 7:35:07 PM #2

Posted By Beathan at 6:14 PM - Fri Jan 18 2019

I’m partial to Sacha, Baron Cohen, myself.

But seriously, while you are right that the primary duty of a baron is not to fight, but to maintain a military establishment, the bottom line is that a baron’s duties are defined by fighting and maintaining/building fighting capability. Mayors are about trade and economic growth. Barons are about military logistics, defense, and power projection.

Further, personal fighting ability has always been part of the charisma package that supports that role. For instance, one way a baron can do the job is to recruit the best team of PvPers out there — and that usually requires that they be a very good PvPer in their own right.

For some barons (the Dras based on their write up) they will be the main trade hubs with the outside world as well as the defenders of the people, so they better have good economic acumen or delegate well!

1/18/2019 8:45:18 PM #3

People want PvPers as barons because PvPers understand the logistics behind PvP (or at least hopefully do).

Personally I look for raid experience in other MMOs for my barons.

1/18/2019 10:33:46 PM #4

I'd think a Duke would want PVP capable people simply because having troops in a given location isn't especially valuable if you can't project force with them.

Absolutely the lion's share of a Barony should be managing the troop buildup but if a Duke wants the commander to have good affinity with the troops they need to be there forming bonds with those NPCs. If a Baron can't fight effectively leading troops the Duke has a few options:

1) Send the troops the Duke has invested (I'm assuming) a great deal of resources in with an incompetent Baron commander. 2) Take a PVP resource from somewhere else to sit around managing relationships with the Baron's troops so when he/she needs to project force with them, the Duke can. 3) Not allocate a PVP resource to the Barony and run the risk that someone can impersonate the troop commander because no one (npcs) knows who they are.

None of these are an issue if the Baron knows how to fight and can effectively lead troops.

Friend Code: 1C7762

1/20/2019 3:39:34 PM #5

So I see the role of of a CoE baron as being a mix between the historical role of a medieval baron and the modern role of a regimental commander.

The CoE baron is an administrator yes, but like his medieval ancestor he’s a military administrator. He rules a settlement but the focus of the settlement is force projection and domestic security. He administers the logistics and deployments of his force and the workings of justice within the duchy. If his settlement develops in such a way that he can fund himself he becomes a powerful baron.

In war the baron acts as a regimental commander, he’s the link between his men and the general, in local command and able to act semi-independently to changing situations but beholden to the operational objectives of the generals. The baron maintains his logistical role in war but has less independence of supply.

Do you need a pvper? Well yes, does it need to be the best fighter in the game? No, what you need for a baron is a fighting administrator.

Coming Soon(tm)

1/20/2019 11:58:28 PM #6

A baron who is loyal, can keep a set standard, keeps peace in the valley with neighbors (if it can be helped), follow orders, follow the law, stay supplied, armed, fight well with others against other, scouts, patrols the area, keeps travel or trade flowing, and responds to threats in a reasonable timeframe to me is a good start for a baron.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

1/21/2019 12:14:23 AM #7

As a Countess, trust. I want there to be trust between me and any Baron assigned in my grand county. If I can't trust my Baron, how can I trust anyone in the administration?

We'll be working together to make sure our slice of the Duchy and Kingdom is a safe and pleasant place to live. Gotta have trust for that.

1/22/2019 7:06:35 PM #8

Not mainly but also because I am not recruiting and also a count besides being a baron, I may have diverging ideas of how to be a baron.

A baron is in my eyes more in a leading/administrative position than an engaging one, so my duty would be to assure there are enough barracks and infrastructure to properly support the military presence in my county.

By being a baron & count I can skip the demands a baron would need to ask a count and simply do it. Like building outposts and reinforcing supply routes.

I consider a commander or a right-hand to the baron would have the most interaction with soldiers and guards, especially when it comes to training routines and other more individual aspects.

In that regard, while a baron is more military oriented, I still see alot of mayor/builder activity happening.

Shroud to The Covenant of the Veil