COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
mmorpg.com: Chronicles of Elyria: Wherefore Art Thou?

I really still believe in this project. But I won't be able to continue my support and trust if I don't see smth else except walls of text, excuses, cash shop promotions and so on. This project has started about 4 years ago. It's really high time to start showing smth REAL.

As you can see from the article on the mmorpg.com below I am not alone who thinks the same way.

P.S. Caspian's answer to most concerns which were discussed in this thread can be found here:

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30270/mmorpgcom-chronicles-of-elyria-wherefore-art-thou?page=7#post332985

1/21/2019 5:14:28 AM #106

I hope the people here are capable of understanding. That is the only requirement remaining for enjoying the development of chronicles of elyria as opposed to just tolerating it. Soulbound has spoken to all of my concerns. Now I just have to sit back and wait and see what happens in 2019.

We will have to test this game eventually. A lot of the attitudes in this thread make me thankful that a lot of them won't be joining us. It is for the best. For this game and their own sanity.

It was a great response soulbound.

"If we wait until we are ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives..." code: CD83B4

1/21/2019 5:46:14 AM #107

Quite the mic drop. I'm eager to stick around and see what this fantastic dedication will wreak upon the digital world.

Death is just another path, one we all must take

Friend Code: C8DF9C

1/21/2019 9:20:31 AM #108

It was a really great answer from Caspian.

1/21/2019 11:10:58 AM #109

Great to se Caspian respont to this thread.

And i have said this before: what happend to gamers, we all have waited years for other games. What is different now?

Do anyone remember when WoW was annouces back in 1999 and we had to wait years to see any progress?

1/21/2019 11:31:40 AM #110

As a Star Citizen backer, this whole ordeal reminds me of the dreaded 2016-17 where we had barely any news. Then 2018 happened and now we have a playable Alpha 3.4. We can see the state of the game and how it's shaping up. The game is shaping up into something releaseable within the next couple of years. I've only recently become interested in CoE. Right now, It looks like we're in 2016 for CoE. No info, but lots of stuff going on behind the scenes. If that stuff is revealed now. It'll look shitty and unfinished. It'll fuel the flames of the trolls who want this project to burn. I survived it with SC, I'll survive this. At least Caspian doesn't have a weird self proclaimed "rival" who made a couple shitty games try to disparage him with hearsay and made up bullshit. Being propped up by a group of former salty Eve online goons who don't mind manipulating the mentally unwell.

1/21/2019 12:48:50 PM #111

I for one look forward to being a delighted player.

Well said Caspian.

Link to my story

1/21/2019 12:53:00 PM #112

I need a virtual hug from time to time... ;)

Life is too short to play bad games.

1/21/2019 2:39:27 PM #113

Posted By kajoreh at 4:32 PM - Thu Jan 17 2019

Posted By Beathan at 4:07 PM - Thu Jan 17 2019

Perhaps the experiment in transparency is failing (in a "don't watch sausages being made" sense), but there is no reason to believe that the product will (we have seen enough of the recipe to continue to believe that the sausages will taste just fine).

I do believe the sausage will be tasty.

If they ever get it to the table.

This is kind of like a Wimpy type of situation ("I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today") only in reverse.

I'm fine buying the hamburger today, but when is the Tuesday going to get here?

Are we still on Friday?

Or is it Sunday now?

Just some clarification along those lines might be helpful.

And "soon".

"Something does need to be done to sway public opinion. We need to ship a playable version of the game to our backers. And we're working as hard as we can to make that happen. Let us do our jobs"---Caspian

This answers my question.

It's closer to Tuesday, than it is to Friday.

Nuff said, back to the kitchen with y'all then. Bon Appetite.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

1/21/2019 5:40:03 PM #114

First and most importantly: Thank you, Caspian, both for responding to this post and for keeping your dedication for the development of Chronicles of Elyria!

I just want to add one thing for whatever it's worth. Please don't read this as another critique as it certainly isn't meant to be one. Also it's no request or demand. I'm just trying to add another point of view. If you feel it could helpful and constructive think about it, if not ignore it and keep going as you do!

Posted By Caspian at 02:01 AM - Mon Jan 21 2019

I mean no disrespect, honestly. I do understand peoples' concerns. It's just that no matter how many times I respond to threads like this, what you all want is to see a game. And we're working on it. [...] The only way I can address that for any lasting amount of time is to deliver a game. [...] We're performing miracles with our small little team, but miracles take time. [...] That's because we know how eager and excited people are to see the game in all its glory, and when we see threads like this it simultaneously motivates us to work harder, as well as saddens us that people can't just stay positive and allow us to get our jobs done.

All this, to me, sounds as if you believed that we, the community, would expect a "game" from the start. And a really amazing one. And without flaws. And soon... (this actually may be true for some players!) And I understand that for you it may feel like "whatever I do will be wrong". If you publish unpolished material with placeholders or not even a graphical interface, some will discuss the flaws and reproach that this is beyond their expectations. And if you take your time and deliver something playable or at least showable and fun some will be impatient and start to lose faith.

I get that!

But please keep in mind, that maybe, just maybe, there are others like me in the community, who are not so much interested in graphics or scedules or playable scenes or demos or progress - but in transparency!

We trust in you and we trust that your decisions are in what you believe is in Elyria's best interest! So consider trusting us, too. Consider that for some of us transparency is more important than progress. Consider sharing organizational stuff like just internal lists with assets being worked on. Consider sharing open and finished to-do's in your bugtracker or whatever - no matter if they are completed or not or if they are in time or not! (No need to put work into that, just share what you've got!) Consider sharing troubles, delays, problems... Consider sharing all the things an average game from an average studio would keep hidden... because Chronicles of Elyria certainly is not an average game! And maybe the community is no average community either!

1/21/2019 6:14:03 PM #115

First off let me say I’m not asking for access to the 10k forums but would like to point out a flaw in Caspians logic which I believe also extends to their use of Discord and how communication in general is handled.

We do also have an exclusive live stream once a month with the 10k group where we talk business, give them some insight into upcoming events, and discuss things with them that would affect exclusively the Nobility.

Not all of the nobility are represented in 10k access and not all people with 10k access are nobles. There are barons who have the ability to influence via feedback how nobility will play out according to the above quote while those who backed during KS don’t have the same access or ability to discuss noble play. Sure I could spend more but if the point is to discuss the nobility tier as the quote suggests there is a slight problem with demographics. In addition slip ups like this and others in the past make it very difficult to justify spending more money. Hats off to those who believe enough to do so but ROI right now seems to be quite low.

Same thing with Discord only drops, previews or in general attention. This has been discussed and driven into the ground so I’ll let past arguments stand on their own.

My point is not to extend access to those under 10k influence it is to simple point out the seeming arbitrary nature of dividing the community into those with time to hang in discord having the most access regardless of pledge or position, and dividing the “nobility” discussion to 10k forums which doesn’t even catch all the nobility but includes anyone with a lower tier who simply “bought up” to equivalent access.

I go back to my previous post about a young and untried studio and growing pains. Serp has done wonders with the mods and all but seems to be hampered by the overarching divide in how SBS communicates and has divided out the community. A more seasoned studio would have a more PR focused position for the community outreach and allow them the freedom to correct and adjust things as needed.

It almost seems like from a PR and community standpoint SBS needs to take a step back and take a moment to redesign or rearrange the customer/community facing policies and means of communication especially since Caspian is the one who seems to respond to posts like this instead of a community lead. Of which the community lead wouldn’t pull development resources and allow the devs like caspian to focus on game production instead of virtual hugs. Again seems like a new studio who is still finding their footing.

The above isn’t a complaint but more of an observation and a hope that once we get closer to a more public playable beta and certainly before launch SBS restructures things so Caspian isn’t the PR person in addition to lead dev, studio president and whatever other hats he wears and they iron out communication so each tier of backer is heard based on their role rather than availability in discord or money spent. A noble is a noble come launch with the same rules and role whether they have 10k influence or not. They will play out differently than even a baron who spent enough to rule a capitol tier city.

1/21/2019 6:23:28 PM #116

I have some faith in CoE but right now its more hope than anything until I see more. Until I do I am waiting to spend more money in the store. But whenever SBS is confident enough to share more with us and pinches me from the dream to wake up for real anything can happen. Literally anything can happen in the next couple years until we launch.

Seeing is believing until then I have hope in the info on hand that SBS will finish the game.

Personally I would love to pay extra per month for a sub to see more inside baseball as systems are being made with an NDA. Perhaps a sort of teaching moment on whats going on and include art concepts or shinies or going through a system. Improbable but I would gladly hand them like 10-15 a mo for the priveledge and a glimpse into the process and insight to help raise more consistent funds.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

1/21/2019 7:11:35 PM #117

Oy Vey what a clusterfuck.

Caspians points are fair, and from a developer standpoint (my product was a 7 year long project delivering an EHR for a bunch of very demanding psychologists) I 100% get his frustrations. End users can be a huge pain in the ass and if you give in to every demand you spend an eternity spinning your wheels and get nothing actually done, or you end up with a haphazard mishmash of a product with no sense of continuity.

The community points are valid too. Basically what everyone is saying is they want more communication.

That's the bottom line.

More communication.

This is easily resolved by posting a progress video showcasing where the game was, vs where the game is. I'm not talking only a bunch of ingame visuals.

I'm talking a 5 minute video that the receives the same energy and thought as the kickstarter video.

This should be done as part of the yearly recap.

Then folks can see milestones, know when to expect it, and have a level of communication most folks would consider historic. It might take a week to produce out of each year, but the return in morale for both the team and the community, and thus reduction on maintenance and down the road PR costs would be significant.

There's a choice to be made here:

To turtle up and try to weather the storm, or to confront the storm and pass through it, showcasing strength and unified purpose?

1/21/2019 7:15:50 PM #118

Posted By Watru at 3:13 PM - Sun Jan 20 2019

Just answer these questions please..
Is it good or in everyone's best interest, that they only take feedback from a small group? (Exclusive Forum)

We take feedback from everyone......

Great answer Caspian.

You have all my support and I will continue talking about CoE wherever I can.

Force!!

1/21/2019 10:08:16 PM #119

Let me just clarify one thing i do want this game, i want you and CoE to succeed. And about the stuff that never happens am thinking about everything from releasing of Blueprint\ Architectural App to the December Stream you said was going to happen.

I thank you for your reply it addresses all concerns in this post. Thank you for taking the time, both here and in Discord.

Am not on here to be negative, but as I and others have expressed there are concerns. Am going to take you on your word and keep you to it too. Soon™

So maybe just try to communicate more with ALL of us and i think that will solve all the issues and concerns.

And to all the kids hating on me :) at least we got all our concerns addressed, worth it

Best wishes!
Watru

1/22/2019 3:24:13 AM #120

I know for a fact that I waited 3+ years for Zenimax Online to produce ESO... and they were an established company with the backing of the parent company of Bethesda.

Now, SBS doesn't have a big name company backing them and they have to create an entirely new world and lore. Plus there is a lot of programming and graphics to make. They have a LOT of work to do and it is going to take time.

It takes more than 7 days to make a maaaannnnnnn.

Countess of Tarnham

County Tarnham, Rhynelands Duchy, Vornair. Luna Server (NA-E)