COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
mmorpg.com: Chronicles of Elyria: Wherefore Art Thou?

I really still believe in this project. But I won't be able to continue my support and trust if I don't see smth else except walls of text, excuses, cash shop promotions and so on. This project has started about 4 years ago. It's really high time to start showing smth REAL.

As you can see from the article on the mmorpg.com below I am not alone who thinks the same way.

P.S. Caspian's answer to most concerns which were discussed in this thread can be found here:

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30270/mmorpgcom-chronicles-of-elyria-wherefore-art-thou?page=7#post332985

... ...
1/20/2019 4:19:24 PM #91

In the thread on the exclusive access forum, Serpentius said to make all comments here and then seems to have locked the thread. That doesn’t make sense. Much of the issue here seems to be that people who aren’t under NDA don’t know things that people under NDA know, and we can’t tell them. Specifically, we can’t even talk about NDA information here. That hamstrings the discussion that could and should occur among people with NDA access.

People with NDA access have concerns, but different concerns, than those who don’t. Also, because you can get that level of information by higher investment, people with NDA concerns have different stakes. The discussions are different, and should be different.

Please unlock the other thread.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

1/20/2019 6:41:50 PM #92

Posted By Beathan at 11:19 AM - Sun Jan 20 2019

In the thread on the exclusive access forum, Serpentius said to make all comments here and then seems to have locked the thread. That doesn’t make sense. Much of the issue here seems to be that people who aren’t under NDA don’t know things that people under NDA know, and we can’t tell them. Specifically, we can’t even talk about NDA information here. That hamstrings the discussion that could and should occur among people with NDA access.

People with NDA access have concerns, but different concerns, than those who don’t. Also, because you can get that level of information by higher investment, people with NDA concerns have different stakes. The discussions are different, and should be different.

SBS is really trying hard to mitigate the damage they have caused by poor performance of their company/employees by controlling the narrative.

If the exclusive forum (I assume you mean the 10K forum) thread was locked, the concerns of backers made public in the NDA forums are hampered and silenced. This also makes opportunity for SBS to permanently silence those voices if they accidentally slip-up and release NDA information here in the regular forums.

It's a WIN/WIN for SBS. And should be a RED FLAG for every backer involved with this project.

Shame, if it's true.

If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization. -Robert Noyce

1/20/2019 6:42:37 PM #93

Posted By Pendulum at 07:09 AM - Sun Jan 20 2019

Posted By Gunnlang at 12:04 AM - Mon Jan 21 2019

Come again? What do you mean several tech demos that they have discarded?

He might mean the Jousting demo... but I don't think soulbound studios would discard the mechanics of it. Just the demo mode.

There was the Jousting, dueling, and the dungeon run they showed off. It would have been awesome if they threw it up on steam after being slightly more refined for us to try out for like $5 a demo to raise more funds. But instead they took it out and instead are letting it rot away doing nothing.

I tell you if they had a steam tourney for jousting and sword fighting that would be 1000x better of an event then a web event.

Especially if you consider they could sell various armors and weapons in the dueling demo. Yeah its more work but at least there is something tangible from SBS they made people could gather an idea of what they are attempting to do that they can see and test. Missed OP if you ask me.

Just like it would have been nice if we had access to the architecture tool by now. We could have helped crowdsource the buildings or make and sell blueprints with SBS getting a cut. Again missed OP if you ask me.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

1/20/2019 6:51:40 PM #94

Posted By Lord_Greystoke at 10:41 AM - Sun Jan 20 2019

Posted By Beathan at 11:19 AM - Sun Jan 20 2019

SBS is really trying hard to mitigate the damage they have caused by poor performance of their company/employees by controlling the narrative.

If the exclusive forum (I assume you mean the 10K forum) thread was locked, the concerns of backers made public in the NDA forums are hampered and silenced. This also makes opportunity for SBS to permanently silence those voices if they accidentally slip-up and release NDA information here in the regular forums.

It's a WIN/WIN for SBS. And should be a RED FLAG for every backer involved with this project.

Shame, if it's true.

I don’t see it that way. I see it as an attempt to direct people who know better than to take the criticism in the MMORPG article seriously to this thread. The problem is that we can’t really talk about why we don’t take it seriously (because of the NDA) and we also cannot raise other, less existential questions about the timeline and development of COE that involve NDA information.

I think it is a bad move because it creates the false impression of concern and control. However, it is a bad PR and community outreach move having nothing to do with the development of COE. I, personally, have far greater confidence in the SBS development team than I have in their community outreach team.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

1/20/2019 7:49:15 PM #95

I agree with that completely.

Personally I am not worried about SBS and even if it takes 10 years to get it off the ground ill still be here. Things happen and it adds time. I am cool with that.

The writer is just impatient and seems to want to lick the spoon before the cake batter is even done mixing. If the oven window is the transparency we arent even at the point in development to look through the glass to watch it cook yet. They are still very protective over the mixing bowl and for good reason. I am cool with that.

But the thing is the writer from MMORPG.com has some kind of an audience and whomever does read that if they know inside baseball or not does not really paint a good picture for CoE outside this community. There are plenty of things that can be spun from reading that article.

My main issue about CoE or SBS lies in the flow of information itself. There is currently no shortage of info, misinfo, disinfo, and about a hundred or more hours of watching vids to comb through to get a full sense of the game as it evolves and expands.

Or the game of telephone weall play. There are some people who think CoE is some kind of alternate reality. If you were to ask 100 people whats in the game you would probably get 50 different answers.

It would be nice if SBS started to create game guides which actually detail each system in each testing phase. That has what is possible in game to prepare us for what is actually in the game and how everything works so we know what to look out for while testing.

We know a lot about CoE and we dont know a lot more then that. It would be nice to finally get in depth information for once which I think is a large source of my frustration that there is a lot of tell and little show.

Sure they spend a ton of time on social media and they post concepts on a weekly basis but it would be great to know all the fine details that are really in the game and not on paper. Or at least an updated teaser trailer once a year couldnt hurt. There are many things I have been dying for years to start seeing and hopefully that is coming up soon at some point.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

1/20/2019 8:37:32 PM #96

Posted By Beathan at 5:19 PM - Sun Jan 20 2019

They show us NDA content for us to give feedback on, if the feedback is nothing they can work with, then why bother.

Complaining is fine if points are given that can be worked out, but questioning methods why they did something, when they are obviously veterans in gaming development, is like asking steven hawkins to educate kindergardeners instead of university students.

So the best feedback to give would be what we like and don't like, not how or why, let the developers figure out the coding and methods, while we check if we like the result before they are final.

For example SbS made a choice that lets them ignore the current topic of SpatialOS which they planned to use in the beginning.

Could ask why we have baby carrots, they are utter nonsense but the masses love them.

Shroud to The Covenant of the Veil

1/20/2019 9:32:12 PM #97

Posted By WarlanderLichbane at 05:42 AM - Mon Jan 21 2019

There was the Jousting, dueling, and the dungeon run they showed off. It would have been awesome if they threw it up on steam after being slightly more refined for us to try out for like $5 a demo to raise more funds. But instead they took it out and instead are letting it rot away doing nothing.

I remember them making those demos at the time. Stating no time would be wasted on doing them. Now admitting I have lack of knowledge if letting them basically disappear, really counts as a waste of time. If they kept the back end around or something.

I do agree, having them sold for 5-10 bucks would have been cool. No doubt net them a nice amount of money as well. Would just makes me wonder that little bit more of why, assuming the guy that first brought this up is even speaking about the same thing or even speaking the truth.

Posted By Beathan at 03:19 AM - Mon Jan 21 2019

It's not the first time SBS has tried to silence people and I doubt it will be the last either. Probably lock this thread soon and force everyone onto their favourite platform that is discord. Though at least they would address the issue, seeing anyone from SBS on here. Assuming it's not some CJ, that be a rare sight.

1/20/2019 9:33:35 PM #98

Posted By WarlanderLichbane at 1:42 PM - Sun Jan 20 2019

Posted By Pendulum at 07:09 AM - Sun Jan 20 2019

Posted By Gunnlang at 12:04 AM - Mon Jan 21 2019

Come again? What do you mean several tech demos that they have discarded?

He might mean the Jousting demo... but I don't think soulbound studios would discard the mechanics of it. Just the demo mode.

I tell you if they had a steam tourney for jousting and sword fighting that would be 1000x better of an event then a web event.

Oh this would be great! SBS can we get the Jousting module for an event soon?

1/20/2019 9:45:13 PM #99

I would never ask Stephen Hawking to educate kindergarteners. First, it would be inappropriate to expose them to a strip club addict. Second, he’s dead, and that would be scary for them, technical infeasibility issues aside.

But seriously, while the NDA disclosed information and feedback is (hopefully) useful to and (hopefully) not gospel to SBS, I think the PR/investor relations purpose is as important. I think that your failing to recognize that it even serves that purpose makes my point that while the dev team seem like high tier professionals who can deliver a great game, the PR/outreach team seems less worthy of confidence.

1/20/2019 11:11:58 PM #100

Getting feedback only from a 10k exclusive forum only feeds the fuel that SBS is simply catering to the big spenders.

The 10k forum is a minority. If information was shared evenly among all backers it would provide more feedback that would please a larger audience, not the 10k club.

Equally sharing with all backers would also allow information to flow better to websites covering the game. The writer of the mmorpg.com article is an example of a regular backer that doesn't have all the information. Hiding things simply looks bad.

1/20/2019 11:13:20 PM #101

Just answer these questions please..
Is it good or in everyone's best interest, that they only take feedback from a small group? (Exclusive Forum)

Is it not a bit dis-concerning that after so many years they have yet to produce anything that can be viewed as progress and are way overdue on timelines and so on?

When they promise things that never happen, why dont the community hold them accountable?

And is it ok for them to keep asking for money and trust when they dont treat the community with equal respect and appreciation for there contributions?

Do we really want a game that caters to the rich few or the ones how buddy's up to the devs?

And why do we never get a response from SbS on this forum with things like this, not like the tactic of ignoring concerns have worked for them, more and more articles will pop up and the ones already on the fence will jump back to the other side not giving CoE a chance.

SbS are shooting them self's in the foot here and laying the groundwork for a shitty perception of this game and SbS as a company, cant they see that?.

I have to say i rely doubt that they even bother to read these threads and just soldier on in there own ways with no regard for the broader community or there potential costumers i hope they can prove me wrong. Something needs to be done to sway some public opinion here and SbS needs to reach out to the community, as they need some good will at this point, where are the community managers?

1/20/2019 11:46:10 PM #102

I'm a new member of the community but I managed to get my self ahead and read the Dev Journals from the beginning, it took me a while but since the argument was really interesting and totally new in the field of MMORPG it was definitely worth it. I decided to bet my money and trust on it and I'm following the development and forum daily since then. The thing I've noticed is that since the 31st Dec 2018 the Dev Journals went silent, totally understandable since the New Year and hard work they had to put into, however, its been 20 days since the last updates and clearly the community is frustrated as the PreAlpha was meant to be already out and the updates stopped after new year. Is nice to know that from next Thursday they will start again their Journals to keep us updated. The amount of money they managed to raise however I personally believe is more than enough to get the project to an end and release the final game, from this point of view I think we all agree. So if the money is enough to get the game run the only problem left is the time they put in developing the game which is completely understandable, I'm willing to wait and see what happens, hopefully with the new updated from next Thursday we will be able to understand and value the problem from another perspective. I would demand some patience from you to guys, I know there are peoples here that wait for the game more than 3 years but please have a little more patience as I firmly believe this will get to a good end. Conclusion, can't wait for the next Thursday Updates :)

The water is another dimension where you can fly but you can't breathe

Friend code: 18B4C8

1/21/2019 1:01:46 AM #103

Posted By Watru at 3:13 PM - Sun Jan 20 2019

Just answer these questions please..
Is it good or in everyone's best interest, that they only take feedback from a small group? (Exclusive Forum)

We take feedback from everyone in the community. That's what the forums are for.

We do also have an exclusive live stream once a month with the 10k group where we talk business, give them some insight into upcoming events, and discuss things with them that would affect exclusively the Nobility.

And of course, we have the Early Access forum where we show screenshots and other media, and discuss mechanical changes. The Early Access forum is open to over 2,500 people and is plenty of people to give us the valuable feedback we need.

As we've said in the past, we have the limited group because sometimes we want to make changes that, until we've explored all angles, don't feel the need to alarm our 250,000+ community members or the news outlets. Sometimes we just want to gauge community response in a control group before sharing something broadly.

Is it not a bit dis-concerning that after so many years they have yet to produce anything that can be viewed as progress and are way overdue on timelines and so on?

We've been in production for 2 years and 2 months (Since Nov. 2016). Since then we've had to roll our own back-end servers, create a front-end that can communicate with our back-end, and implement the many gameplay mechanics and systems that exist in the Pre-Alpha - in addition to all the work we've had to do around world building and world generation; including creating the lore and details of all the biomes, flora, fauna, historical events, and Tribes of Elyria.

I know that all sounds defensive, but it's really not meant to be. I just wanted to highlight that we've done a ton in a relatively short amount of time. I say relatively because if you compare us with other in-development and previous MMOs you can see that we're still doing quite well on time.

I know when you're watching the clock waiting for the project to be completed it can seem like an eternity. But I've worked longer than this on single-player free-roaming adventure games.

When they promise things that never happen, why dont the community hold them accountable?

I'm not sure what you mean by never happen. We had several community events come and go that we said would happen, we've got domain & settlement selection coming up soon as well. We reached our Friends & Family milestone earlier last year, but decided not to release the "Walk & Talk" to Alpha 1 backers. Now we're working on getting the game into the hands of players as quickly as possible. Trust me when I say it's coming soon.

But to say never is both a gross over statement and is honestly incorrect. As long as I'm coming into work every day, never hasn't happened yet. In the words of the famous Dread Pirate Roberts, "You're only saying never because no one ever has."

And is it ok for them to keep asking for money and trust when they dont treat the community with equal respect and appreciation for there contributions?

We treat everyone in the community with equal respect and appreciation. No matter whether you're a Monarch, Royal, Elyrian, or you're just here to cheer us on. We know we wouldn't be here, working every day to bring CoE to life without the dedication, love, and support of our community. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Soulbound Studios is built on "Passion for our project and love for our community."

Do we really want a game that caters to the rich few or the ones how buddy's up to the devs?

Every AAA game or MMO you've ever played has taken money to make it. We opted for crowdfunding because we believed that only the players would appreciate what we're trying to achieve with CoE. All evidence suggests that's true. But nothing about the game caters to the rich few or those who "Buddy up to the devs." I'm not even really sure what the last part means.

What I do know is you're regularly in Discord, and I regularly take time out of my day to answer your questions honestly. Both about the mechanics of the game, as well as, as best I can, what we're working on and how progress is going.

The mechanics of CoE are solid, regardless of whether we crowdfund or seed the worlds' starting kingdoms with players.

Another way to look at it is this: We want the world's nobility and aristocracy populated by players at launch because we feel it creates a more difficult challenge, a more engaging story, and a more immersive world. If you agree that playing with human nobility and aristocracy is better than NPC nobility and aristocracy then it's just a question of how we seed the world at launch.

We could randomly assign people from our community the role of monarch, duke, and count, or we could crowdfund and let the players buy those roles. Either way - the mechanics are the same, and the players coming in on launch day can't tell the difference. They won't know or care whether the monarch of their kingdom was randomly selected or paid for their tile. It makes no difference to the players on launch day, because the game is played the same either way. But it does make a difference to us.

As to your question of "Do we really want a game...," I'd say most people on these forums want this game. If you don't, no worries. CoE isn't for everyone. But if you don't want the game we're making, please don't spend your time trying to drag other community members into your negativity. There's plenty of other game communities out there.

And why do we never get a response from SbS on this forum with things like this, not like the tactic of ignoring concerns have worked for them...

Frankly, because we have things to do. There will always be negative articles that come out about the game. Even post-launch. We can't stop development each time that happens to address it. We shouldn't have to.

In this case, there's a seven page thread about people raising valid concerns, all of which are addressed by us staying focused on our work and getting a playable game into your hands as quickly as we can. But if every time one of these threads pops up we have to stop to take screenshots for you, create new videos, or simply log into the forums to give you a virtual hug, it will affect our development.

I mean no disrespect, honestly. I do understand peoples' concerns. It's just that no matter how many times I respond to threads like this, what you all want is to see a game. And we're working on it.

SbS are shooting them [sic] self's in the foot here and laying the groundwork for a shitty perception of this game and SbS as a company, cant they see that?.

I can see you have a shitty perception of the game and the company. And I'm sure many other people do too. The only way I can address that for any lasting amount of time is to deliver a game.

I have to say i rely doubt that they even bother to read these threads and just soldier on in there own ways with no regard for the broader community or there potential costumers i hope they can prove me wrong.

Proven wrong. I read these threads. Every. Hurtful. Comment.

Something needs to be done to sway some public opinion here and SbS needs to reach out to the community, as they need some good will at this point, where are the community managers?

Something does need to be done to sway public opinion. We need to ship a playable version of the game to our backers. And we're working as hard as we can to make that happen. Let us do our jobs instead of trying to rally up negativity.

Responding to the thread at large: I have my opinions about Tim's MMORPG.com article, but I'll keep them to myself. The important thing is that he has concerns, as do many of our backers. I understand.

I understand that 2 years of development seems like a long time to players. I understand that when we're focusing on the back-end for long periods of time and there's no screenshots or videos to share that it can feel lonely and isolating. I understand that when we're focusing on gameplay, but aren't happy with the animations, UI, or something else and keep the screenshots to ourselves that it can also feel like we've vanished or forgotten about the players. I understand.

But I'm asking you to understand, too. Please understand that 2 years to develop an MMO is a drop in the bucket. Even for large teams with established code bases. We're performing miracles with our small little team, but miracles take time.

Please understand that we're not ignoring you, we're just not always taking time away from development to respond to you. That's because we know how eager and excited people are to see the game in all its glory, and when we see threads like this it simultaneously motivates us to work harder, as well as saddens us that people can't just stay positive and allow us to get our jobs done.

There's really no need for the negativity, hostility, or disbelief. We have a shared goal of creating an amazing game. No matter how long it takes, no matter how long we may seem to go silent for, we're working diligently to bring this game to life.

Don't believe me? Remember that there is nobody who has more on the line, or who will lose more if we're unable to deliver on our promises than me. I lose literally everything.

So while I won't ask you to trust me, I will ask you to understand that I am more motivated than any of you to deliver Chronicles of Elyria and to delight our players.

1/21/2019 1:03:40 AM #104

Digital hug Caspian.

You guys are really active on social media. I wish you would consider taking a step back and still hop on but devoting more time towards transitioning towards more in-game fottage or side by side vids showing both PE & CoE respectively to keep the end result in perspective. We should start seeing the chat systems in action one by one soon. Im not telling you what to do by any means please just consider it. Your instincts are good Cas but they could always be better directed and effective.

Welcome to the community J0HN.

If PE starts anytime this year it will create a buzz and we will get more community in here with something to talk about especially what little we can talk about that isnt under NDA. It will begin the march to launch that will build steam up until the buying frenzy starts when expo hits for last min touches on peoples settlements or last ditch efforts to stockpile.

To me its the doubling down on quality that threw things off the delay allows them to keep putting out information but I take the silence as they are attempting to put together what happens next and hopefully its good news.

1/21/2019 4:52:27 AM #105

Caspian,

As hard as I am on some of the things you guys do, let me just say that the effort you guys are expending is nothing short of phenomenal, and the positivity you and your team continue to demonstrate is amazing.

I know I come across as harsh, but know that I still fully believe in the overall mission of SBS and the game you all are trying to make.

Keep up the great work, and don't let stuff like this (or the occasional harsh criticism from people like me) get you down.

Be the storm in 2019. Can't wait to see what you have for us!

Imgur

... ...