COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Becoming a Lich

Asking for a friend... 😬

Anyone have any idea just how horrible a character would have to be to become a Lich?

I mean, would a few murders do it, or would I... er... my friend, have to massacre an entire city?

1/15/2019 6:31:12 PM #16

Posted By Vanguard at 6:28 PM - Sat Jan 12 2019

Posted By Labbe at 5:14 PM - Sat Jan 12 2019

Posted By Vanguard at 2:46 PM - Sat Jan 12 2019

Posted By Labbe at 11:06 PM - Wed Jan 09 2019

Your lifespan is shortened when you do Coup de Graces on people as it is not something to be done lightly. To my knowledge though, there is no spirit loss from simply doing "evil acts" just this one thing.

Your life span is shortened after receiving a killing blow, not dealing one. Huge difference here.

Hmm, good catch. I'm not sure what gave me the impression that performing a CDG on someone made you lose spirit but I can't seem to find what originally made me think it.

Comment retracted

You can lose spirit if you get caught via the criminal justice system, but you wouldn't automatically lose spirit after committing a coup de grace. This makes the hiding, stealing and creating new identities more interesting.

We don't have a lot of information on lichdom, but I'd imagine if you're going to perform a lot of evil acts, you'd want to either hide your identity or have a very large following to protect you. Lich cult, anyone?

Lich Cult sounds awesome.

- Shmuck

1/17/2019 1:17:54 PM #17

You know what would be hilarious

Divine immorality, it's the opposite of lich dom where you can accidentally trap your soul or a fragment of it in a living location or an object and gain magic but it requires acts of selflessness/self-sacrifice and you kind become a minor local god able to help the crops grow and heal people.

Now imagine a lich and a divine immortal with twin souls battling it out in a valley cause they don't like each other's methods, they keep dying and spawning and hooking people into their mayhem to try to destroy each other but never succeeding.

Being normal is vastly overrated!

1/21/2019 6:15:46 PM #18

Posted By DanielBlack at 8:38 PM - Wed Jan 09 2019

I specifically remember someone saying something about your soul becoming darker the more evil deeds you perform. Until you reached a certain limit.

They said your lifespan could be shortened by evil acts to something like 4 months? At which point they weren’t clear on what would happen.

Made me wonder.

Yes, and yes, and prolly not.

Your soul becomes darker the more evil things you do as a mechanic of the game, this is true.

And who knows really? You could have to have a certain shade of soul to be able to become a lich, but this hasn't been discussed and won't be discussed in any kind of official capacity as that would ruin the surprise. If I was to guess, I would say you have to happen upon an npc that starts you on the path toward lichdom, and maybe it does take soul color into account to happen upon them, or maybe you might kill a few innocents in the act of becoming a lich, but there is 0 proof either way.

Actually, the lore suggests that it's only possible to become a lich during longest night, the rest is unknown but longest night will help with lichdom.

(My friend code is 5D39A6)

1/21/2019 7:26:57 PM #19

Posted By AlexGTheGamer at 1:15 PM - Mon Jan 21 2019

Posted By DanielBlack at 8:38 PM - Wed Jan 09 2019

I specifically remember someone saying something about your soul becoming darker the more evil deeds you perform. Until you reached a certain limit.

They said your lifespan could be shortened by evil acts to something like 4 months? At which point they weren’t clear on what would happen.

Made me wonder.

Yes, and yes, and prolly not.

Your soul becomes darker the more evil things you do as a mechanic of the game, this is true.

And who knows really? You could have to have a certain shade of soul to be able to become a lich, but this hasn't been discussed and won't be discussed in any kind of official capacity as that would ruin the surprise. If I was to guess, I would say you have to happen upon an npc that starts you on the path toward lichdom, and maybe it does take soul color into account to happen upon them, or maybe you might kill a few innocents in the act of becoming a lich, but there is 0 proof either way.

Actually, the lore suggests that it's only possible to become a lich during longest night, the rest is unknown but longest night will help with lichdom.

really? where did you get this? im very curious, do you have any links or idea where i could look?

1/22/2019 3:45:31 AM #20

I just think longest night helps. I don't believe it is the only time a Lich can come about.

1/22/2019 5:09:59 AM #21

"They say that liches are born when the Eye rides the sky and that lost souls will lure the living away to grim fates."

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/22243/queens-gaze-is-upon-us

1/22/2019 3:09:42 PM #22

Posted By DanielBlack at

Anyone have any idea just how horrible a character would have to be to become a Lich?

I've heard all you have to do is say "I want to be a lich" three times and then click your heels.

Count Lofi of Skaaney, friend code 8766AA

1/22/2019 6:53:05 PM #23

It's ultimately up to SbS and how sophisticated and complex the mechanics will be.

The current way I'd imagine how one would become a lich is like the belief system.

On one side you would need to have a very profoundly dark soul affinity, which we all agree.

The next thing I thought would be something akin to reputation or the fame system with the NPCs, the more people think and believe you exist, the more powerfull and likely your destiny to become a lich would be.

Just like other stories where gods and magical entities relied on the power of belief, Morgana in Merlins story for example.

Shroud to The Covenant of the Veil

10/26/2019 7:20:33 PM #24

Posted By Melkar at 5:26 PM - Sat Jan 12 2019

I imagine immortal spirit hits are insane.

It would be cool if you could just rip out people's souls to keep it going as vampyres have that market cornered. Perhaps some sort of CG ability that consumes the spirit they would have lost. Or turning people into weaker liches by spending spirit. That would be awesome. So that way you would be forced to consume souls or spirit from larger marks or snacking on many more commoners.

I gaurentee you the first person to do it will be a griefer tho lol.

So, Just let me say, a lich could, theoretically create more liches, and keep them in his own service by threatening to destroy their phylactery. Which, it seems there was an update to the wiki from when I last read it saying that once you've become a lich, and are actually killed and reincarnate, it says that you'd lose all of your skill ramps, so everything that you gained, would be lost. So maintaining control of these liches could be done with the threat of them dying. And if the lich allied with a vampire, they could create more vampires. I do agree that such a thing would be cool. But I don't know if that would be done, but as far as I know, some of it can be done on release assuming you can get the right resources.

10/26/2019 7:28:39 PM #25

Posted By Faustes at 07:17 AM - Thu Jan 17 2019

You know what would be hilarious

Divine immorality, it's the opposite of lich dom where you can accidentally trap your soul or a fragment of it in a living location or an object and gain magic but it requires acts of selflessness/self-sacrifice and you kind become a minor local god able to help the crops grow and heal people.

Now imagine a lich and a divine immortal with twin souls battling it out in a valley cause they don't like each other's methods, they keep dying and spawning and hooking people into their mayhem to try to destroy each other but never succeeding.

In that case, I'd imagine such a being getting bound by a holy landmark. In this case, I'd imagine them being bound to said location and only being able to move within some kind of power radius. Think a holy power that belongs to the same that the divine immortal belongs to. Of course, they could always fall from being a divine immortal. But I can imagine being able to keep your skill ramps upon death, although not too sure about developing them. Of course, if they fell form divinity, They'd be stuck in a area and most likely hunted, so an alliance with a lich at that point could be likely leading from the war between the lich and divine immortal. And towards an alliance where the bound area around starts dying, and ghouls become an ordinary occurrence as long as the fallen divine lives.

10/26/2019 8:59:20 PM #26

If you have been on this forum for a long time, reading every post on how to become defiant, I have an idea how to become a lich. It's a long and boring way, you have very little contact with other players, and you'll be banned from many Counties and Duchies. And when you really suck at being defiant, you may even be banned from Kingdoms, forcing you to break all contact with mann.

It may take your character several lifetimes, and after 2 or 3 year of RL playing, you may get there. But than again, many players can't become lich because they don't have it in them.

And no, I will not give you any hints of what I think you have to do. While you are searching for ways to get there, I'll be searching for ways to stop you in your track. And believe me, stopping someone from becoming a lich is much easier than becoming one.

10/27/2019 9:25:43 PM #27

We know you have to be really flippin' evil.