COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Is the game, you know, real?

Hello all -

I've been looking around for a new MMORPG for a while, and CoE seems to have many things I've always thought would be interesting...and a few I haven't (world wide PvP...eek) but on the whole, the concept sounds pretty interesting. That said, I haven't been able to locate recent in-game or "from game" updates - aside from events and promotions, much of the game content seems a bit older and although I realize it takes time to evolve from concept to playable game, the more recent seeming lack of in-game material has me wondering if its worth getting all wrapped up and excited, to say nothing of pulling out the wallet for a pledge / starter pack.

To give you an example - One day, I was bored, and since there was nothing in the entirety of Netflix's vast collection to satisfy me, I was also grumpy. Bored and grumpy me talked to my Sister-in-law, who being a charming woman (though vile and rotten to the core, as you'll find out later) suggested I try this show, called Firefly, which I'd never heard of. "oh its great" she said. "I think you'll like it" she said. " I have the first season on DVD" she told me. SO....I thought, sure, why not. So I sit down, fire up this....what...space western? Rocket ships and six-shooters....REALLY?....but whatever, I'll give it a go. Well, by the 4rth or so episode, I'm hooked - completely. "I love space westerns"!! I tell myself.... "why doesn't everyone use a leather duster while flying a space ship"!!! ....I call said Sister-in-law and proclaim how she has saved me from boredom, how the veil of eternal and dismal apathy has been lifted, and that all I need now......is SEASON TWO............. Well.....you can guess how that conversation went.

The moral of the story is, I've become guarded about getting over excited and invested in "a cool new thing" until I have some idea that its actually going somewhere.....or has a second season....as it happens. So while this may by asking the wrong crowd, is CoE keeping pace? making progress? going somewhere...really?

Regards, Treozen

1/8/2019 6:08:38 AM #1

Welcome Treozen,

Yes it is very much real. All that is required is a little patience. Those that post negatively and/or troll about the game are typically just impatient, though I can understand the frustration of waiting and delays, it is inexcusable for those people to lie and spread misinformation.

So there have been a few delays, but what long term project doesn't experience them right? No matter how well you plan, unexpected events will arise and this can result in slower progression and/or having to change direction slightly, both of which has happened.

Some of the original concept ideas had to be changed because either what thought like a good idea at the time became less so as things progressed or perhaps the mechanics and programming behind it became unfeasible due various other aspects so alternate mechanics or ways were needed... this obviously cause minor delays, but nothing huge to be honest.

The other main reason that I can think of off the top of my head for a perceived lack of content, is because development of CoE in particular is occurring slightly differently to other game development projects.

Typically, from what I understand, game development focuses a lot on visual content creation and front end to backend development during the development life cycle. This means that there is usually a lot of visual aspects to look at from the start.

Without trying to go in to details about why this is being done differently and the perceived advantages (and disadvantages) of doing so, let me just say that the development team, as I understand it, believe it is best to develop CoE in a backend to frontend process which means the primary focus has been on the non-visual aspects of the games foundations and then building up from there.

Not to say there is nothing visual to see, there is plenty to show some of the work that has been done over the years, it's just not as abundant as other games and also means it is more difficult to show the progress as much of it cannot be visually represented for the community.

But rest assured, the development has made significant progress which will definitely become more apparent in the near future over the next couple of months.

Once again, welcome to CoE Treozen.

Haji

1/8/2019 6:10:39 AM #2

I mean do we even exist, are we just a simulation?

1/8/2019 6:11:25 AM #3

I mean. You definately have a big point. The game have now been in developement for a couple of years and the only real footage we have is rather old. I have been following the game for a while myself even though i'm not active at the forums at all and really just registered my account to get active in it.

At one side they are promising a fantastic world which is setting a new standard for MMOs. This game unlike most other MMOs is not a WoW copy. We actually have roleplay oppertounity aswell with a player shaped world, and i understand that this takes time.

At the other side even though this takes time, feeding the community with updates is vital, and even though these updates are comming trough screenshots of new armorsets and ideas, we never really see any new footage which can scrap our itch. I really hope that now in the beginning of 2019 we will be fed with updates which are not necessarly text or words, but by actual footage of developement.

Whatever the course this ship now is steering, i hope that we soon can see evidence of the fantastic game this will be when it gets released, and i wish the studio all the best, and i for certain will be here when it gets released.

1/8/2019 7:05:37 AM #4

Posted By Gunghoe at 10:10 PM - Mon Jan 07 2019

I mean do we even exist, are we just a simulation?

As I look at my aquarium, and ponder the thoughts of my fish, so too may some entity look upon the earth, and ponder the thoughts of the human, pondering his fish.

And if I am a simulation, someone messed up the "hair loss" algorithm. I'm very upset at them....

1/8/2019 7:06:53 AM #5

Posted By HajimeSaito at 10:08 PM - Mon Jan 07 2019

Welcome Treozen,

Yes it is very much real. All that is required is a little patience. Those that post negatively and/or troll about the game are typically just impatient, though I can understand the frustration of waiting and delays, it is inexcusable for those people to lie and spread misinformation......

.......But rest assured, the development has made significant progress which will definitely become more apparent in the near future over the next couple of months.

Once again, welcome to CoE Treozen.

Haji Agreed - things take time, especially new things.

1/8/2019 9:35:01 AM #6

There is no new footage from the main unreal engine part of the game but kicking around somewhere is some gifs from pre elyria (the more artistically simple version of the game that will be used to do fast iteration of the game pre launch).

If I was you and I had doubts I'd just save my money for now and keep an eye/read up on coe. This year should be a big year with the start of alpha etc slated.

In addition in q1 we are expecting domain selection, where players with landed titles select where they will start in the world. This will give you some indication of how the game world will shack out later on. Also drama, much drama.

1/8/2019 9:48:56 AM #7

Right now there is not much to talk about maybe a .GIF or two. But mostly if only some concept art and walls of text. Ohe the walls of text, but we have yet to see everything they talk about in the dev blogs.

Take 0.4.0 lots to show us there but they dont. So am not sure just hold off until they show something real is my advice.

Posted By HajimeSaito at 07:08 AM - Tue Jan 08 2019

But rest assured, the development has made significant progress which will definitely become more apparent in the near future over the next couple of months.

Haji

You cant really say that for sure SHOW proof, its not like they give us any real time frames or information, only flavor text and concepts..

1/8/2019 10:21:06 AM #8

This is a list of development updates. While you are accurate in saying that we haven't had much visual media to chew on in a while, I would check out the various dev 'adventures'. They give pretty good info on where development has been focused over the last year or so.

If you are new to the community, the Design Journals will answer a lot of your questions.

1/8/2019 10:29:08 AM #9

The game is real and is under development . An official release estimate is late 2019 but I bet my right leg would come 2020 to us. I would suggest now to choose a Server , read up all the kingdoms there and choose one and get to know your future game play mates. :-)

1/8/2019 10:49:01 AM #10

CoE is being built from the ground up and is ambitious in nature. Delays are inevitable when you try and innovate. The developer journals are honest not only in successes but also in set backs which is refreshing and appreciated. Keep the faith, it will come out in good time.

Be Calm, Be Strong, Be Grateful

1/8/2019 12:37:24 PM #11

Posted By Watru at 5:48 PM - Tue Jan 08 2019

Right now there is not much to talk about maybe a .GIF or two. But mostly if only some concept art and walls of text. Ohe the walls of text, but we have yet to see everything they talk about in the dev blogs.

Take 0.4.0 lots to show us there but they dont. So am not sure just hold off until they show something real is my advice.

Posted By HajimeSaito at 07:08 AM - Tue Jan 08 2019

Haji

You cant really say that for sure SHOW proof, its not like they give us any real time frames or information, only flavor text and concepts..

I am not going to show any evidence because that would break NDA resulting in my account being banned.

Stop trolling.

While the level of funding an individual can provide is no reflection on themselves and should not be held against them, the fact of the matter is, I have spent/donated WAY more then you in to this game, so isn't it logical if this were truly a scam, that I'd be considerably more pissed off than you AND I reckon I would be first in line to criticize.

Right or wrong, the exclusive access exists and occasionally we get a glimpse of things others do not, which IS the evidence to support what I am saying. Unfortunately this is under NDA so I can't share it.

1/8/2019 1:03:24 PM #12

Posted By HajimeSaito at 1:37 PM - Tue Jan 08 2019

While the level of funding an individual can provide is no reflection on themselves and should not be held against them, the fact of the matter is, I have spent/donated WAY more then you in to this game, so isn't it logical if this were truly a scam, that I'd be considerably more pissed off than you AND I reckon I would be first in line to criticize.

Just for the sake of argument, the fact that you donated a big amount might cloud your judgement. Usually big donators are the least probable to give honest and unbiased criticism because they are so heavily invested into the project and don't want to see it fail. If they weren't overhyped they wouldn't have donated so much in the first place. There's a big difference between a donator in a crowdfunding project who can only hope he doesn't get scammed and a share holder who can actually hold the company accountable.

1/8/2019 1:32:55 PM #13

Just to be perfectly clear ... no-one needs to buy anything beyond an Elyrian package.

Invest as much passion and energy into the game as you want to - indeed that is already a lot of fun. There are literally folks playing the Dance of Dynasties already, not to mention writers, artists, and roleplayers all having fun along the way.

The reason I don't want to see this project fail is not because of the money I donated to them, but because I want to play this game.

And that is the ultimate point - do you want to play this game? If the answer is yes, buy a package and let your dreams run wild. Your dreams do not require you to buy more than the basic package.

That said, many of us have gone way past a basic package. But it's been entirely our choices to do so - and for my part I've had a lot of entertainment already watching this game's design and in-game communities coming together. This should be an amazing year.

Link to my story

1/8/2019 2:23:56 PM #14

I've been following the game for quite some time and didn't register my account until mid 2018. Why? Because I wasn't fully satisfied with what had been presented until then. My advice to you is do some research on what the devs have presented, not only visually but their adventure logs as well. See how active they are on discord, speak to those who have higher tier pledge packages. Join some of the kingdom discords and see what others have to say as well.

Personally I'm very satisfied with the way things are going. Not only that but I'm really satisfied with the people I've gotten to meet because of this game already.

Like Lady Grace said. No one is forcing you to buy a pledge package and I wouldn't recommend you do it until you're fully satisfied with the devs. I personally started with buying one of the cheaper pledge packages and as time went on and the devs impressed me more and more eventually upgraded that package over time. To this day I'm happy with the amount I've spent and will more than likely spend more on it.

Hope this helps, Arinna.

Friend code: D3F461

1/8/2019 3:57:32 PM #15

The game is non-existing for anyone but the devs so far. Everyone spending money is hoping for a great game and investing in the idea(s) to come alive. Nothing less, nothing more. There was a demo vesion of a small dungeon but I don't think we get access to it outside of events SBS decides to attain in person.

Posted By Treozen at

the more recent seeming lack of in-game material has me wondering if its worth getting all wrapped up and excited, to say nothing of pulling out the wallet for a pledge / starter pack.

Check the packs, look up a community that's open to just chat around with newcomers not knowing anything so far and get a bit educated about the games ideas. We already had people that got excited about a certain pack and went full refund when they leared about the game afterwards because they just rushed buying a pack.