COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Potential for prejudice ingame?

*First and foremost, i do not condone any acts of racism, sexism or discrimination of any kind, nor do i practice it myself.

Im trying to word this and explain this as good as I can while giving you my question.

Is in-game, in-character racism, sexism, or discrimination allowed?

My two cents on the matter is as follows. This game will somewhat resemble medieval times and structure. You can already bet some players will potentionally act a certain way towards a certain tribe group, kingdom or gender and possibly sexuality. Of course in real life this is not accepted behaviour since we should all respect everyones beliefs, gender, origins and sexuality.

But this is a game and if someone for example wanted to RP as a prejudice lord towards a certain group or just as a grumpy character with hate for a certain tribe or people of a kingdom. would it be allowed or would GMs take action? I am not trying to start a shitstorm or a raging discussion of the moral and ethical beliefs of people.

I am just contemplating and generally asking if this would be allowed as, lets be honest. Im certain people in real life who are prejudiced will play this game aswell, and if this game is supposed to mimick a world in close resemblance to old medieval times, I believe it would be hard to stop discrimination from occuring in the game by nature.

You have already made clear that same sex marriage is in the game which is fantastic i think. Love to see developers supporting love in all its forms. Unfortunatley im certain some people will be against that too, both personally and then in-game.

So how will the developers handle it?

Please, keep this discussion civilized and respect your fellow gamers looking forward to what looks like a great game.

Steel and Blood forges the best weapons.

1/7/2019 9:47:19 PM #1

Honestly? I doubt the devs will handle anything. It's up to the communities--the kingdom rules on down to individual towns--to say what's acceptable to RP in that area and what isn't.

Frankly I think a little prejudice will add some spice, especially to travelers. If a same sex couple wants to live in a town full of people who are against that union, they can either move somewhere more accepting or RP out their troubles. If someone of a different tribe comes into an unwelcoming town, they need to decide whether it's worth the risk of sleeping within the borders or risking the wilds.

On the other hand, life can be just as hard for those who RP prejudice; a town full of open-minded people can easily push out the one bigot who managed to put down roots. Or they can just apologize to newcomers because Dave over there is just old and set in his ways and just never cared for the Waerd anyway.

So the question becomes not what the devs are going to do about it, but do we really WANT them to?

1/7/2019 9:50:46 PM #2

Posted By Soliloquy at 10:47 PM - Mon Jan 07 2019

Honestly? I doubt the devs will handle anything. It's up to the communities--the kingdom rules on down to individual towns--to say what's acceptable to RP in that area and what isn't.

Frankly I think a little prejudice will add some spice, especially to travelers. If a same sex couple wants to live in a town full of people who are against that union, they can either move somewhere more accepting or RP out their troubles. If someone of a different tribe comes into an unwelcoming town, they need to decide whether it's worth the risk of sleeping within the borders or risking the wilds.

On the other hand, life can be just as hard for those who RP prejudice; a town full of open-minded people can easily push out the one bigot who managed to put down roots. Or they can just apologize to newcomers because Dave over there is just old and set in his ways and just never cared for the Waerd anyway.

So the question becomes not what the devs are going to do about it, but do we really WANT them to?

Fair enough, i also think it would add spice, im just anxious the PC community will come and cry about it and force a change.

1/7/2019 10:31:21 PM #3

Why wait for the game? The Kypiq are already just sitting around waiting to be hated.

1/7/2019 10:36:32 PM #4

Posted By mickdude2 at 11:31 PM - Mon Jan 07 2019

Why wait for the game? The Kypiq are already just sitting around waiting to be hated.

Im new here so i've CLEARLY missed something here... time to browse the forums like mad.

1/8/2019 1:31:48 AM #5

Posted By GonnaBeABlacksmith at 5:36 PM - Mon Jan 07 2019

Posted By mickdude2 at 11:31 PM - Mon Jan 07 2019

Im new here so i've CLEARLY missed something here... time to browse the forums like mad.

lol. Everyone always hates on the short people. It's like the gnome hate in World of Warcraft.

1/8/2019 2:49:52 AM #6

they not only allow prejudice, but most tribes default start off that way. go to the tribe section and see a tribes friends and enemies. if u are a enemy race in a foreign tribe you can bet npcs and players alike will treat you poorly.

Everyone wants to be a beast, until it's time to do what beasts do.

1/8/2019 3:36:47 AM #7

The Waerd only care about The Waerd...so there's prejudice in that right there.

NA-EAST

1/8/2019 3:52:42 AM #8

You've got several tribes with different beliefs and lifestyles. Of course there is going to be prejudice :P It won't bother me a bit, just part of the game.

1/8/2019 4:21:31 AM #9

Posted By Ogarra at 9:52 PM - Mon Jan 07 2019

You've got several tribes with different beliefs and lifestyles. Of course there is going to be prejudice :P It won't bother me a bit, just part of the game.

Right. Some of that is even baked into the tribe history and people RPing as such is encouraged. Just don't take any of it offline or attack players in the chat channels that are tied to your account not your character and it's all good. Sbs draws a line between playing a character interacting with another character as they would given their chacter background and being an ass to the actual players of the game.

1/8/2019 5:20:36 AM #10

In-game conflict is encouraged by devs, I don't see why in-character conflict like tribe-directed racism, kingdom nationalism, etc would be a problem.

The line is drawn when RL enters in any fashion, like drawing comparison to real life politics, religion, race, etc.

1/8/2019 7:19:04 AM #11

Well, I think they originally said they would draw the line at cannibalism, but recent comments have made that line a bit blurry.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

1/8/2019 10:40:28 PM #12

Posted By Hellmoon at 12:20 AM - Tue Jan 08 2019

In-game conflict is encouraged by devs, I don't see why in-character conflict like tribe-directed racism, kingdom nationalism, etc would be a problem.

The line is drawn when RL enters in any fashion, like drawing comparison to real life politics, religion, race, etc.

Yes, I think that is the key. Real life matters coming up. Politics are one thing that come up sometimes and get discussed in chat. Nowadays there is a lot of tension in the US over politics and that can create a whole lot of hard feelings.

1/8/2019 10:49:14 PM #13

Well, I plan on only focusing on the game and not IRL drama, politics, or prejudices.

The realism of tribal discord is going to be interesting, especially once they start mingling and creating hybrids. Imagine the names:

Dras+Janoa= Dranoa/Jras, Brudvir+Kypiq= Brupiq/Kypvir, ahaha I can't wait for the new names if we have them.

1/12/2019 5:02:23 PM #14

I wonder if we can pass laws to keep certain races out of our towns....

1/12/2019 5:20:37 PM #15

Youre allegedly even going to be allowed to script your OPC to behave differently around tribes so the answer is a definite yes.