COMMUNITY - FORUMS - TRIBES
Brudvir fishing village?

I plan on playing a Brudvir character and am hoping to pick a settlement somewhere on the coast. I was thinking fish might be a reliable source of “meat” but was wondering if fishing fell under the hunting and trapping category that Brudvir seem to excel at. Any thoughts?

Just another fish in the sea of humannity...

Mayor Mikkal Rodsild of Sildby - Brudvir Tribe

County of Raumsdalr - Grand Duchy of Erzhalden - Kingdom of Vornair - NA-E Luna

1/2/2019 8:16:51 PM #1

Fishing has it's own skill tree.

Not to say the Brudvir won't be decent fishermenn, I'm just saying that Hunting is it's own skill branch with Trapping (Snares) falling under it.

1/2/2019 8:23:56 PM #2

I hope there are frozen lakes and ice fishing. Setting up fishing shacks over an ice hole you've carved out should be a thing. :)

1/2/2019 10:47:36 PM #3

Posted By Labbe at 3:16 PM - Wed Jan 02 2019

Fishing has it's own skill tree.

Not to say the Brudvir won't be decent fishermenn, I'm just saying that Hunting is it's own skill branch with Trapping (Snares) falling under it.

Thanks! Good to know.

Posted By Teland at 3:23 PM - Wed Jan 02 2019

I hope there are frozen lakes and ice fishing. Setting up fishing shacks over an ice hole you've carved out should be a thing. :)

Yeah, that would be cool!

5/25/2019 2:44:40 PM #4

There could be fish traps (I think that might be included in the skill tree under Knowledges ) which you could use to catch crabs or fish. This could be a combination of both the hunting skill tree and the fishing skill tree.

5/25/2019 6:28:23 PM #5

The To'resk are a tribe you should certainly consider if fishing is a profession you are most interested in. Fishing happens pretty much everywhere because there are fish pretty much everywhere, but you may be more likely to find skilled fisherman among the To'resk, particularly the most skilled ones.

Beneath the Industrille are the Mercandille. The Mercandille are made up of the wealthier families and those who have control over any local waterways or emergent land. They typically employ members of the Agradille to work their lands as farmers, fishers, or trappers.

Education among the To'resk tends to prioritize diplomacy, trade, and mercantilism above all else, with the lower classes additionally studying farming and aquaculture. As individual and family advancement is valued higher than community development, the To'resk tend to to keep family recipes and knowledge on how to fish, farm, find gold, or even climb the social ladder, as closely guarded secrets. As a result, there are few, if any, schools within the wetlands. Instead, parents teach their children, passing on recipes that would not be readily shared among the To'resk. To gain skills outside of your current family, your fastest route to success is to marry into a family that does possess the skills you're interested in learning, as information is generously shared through marital families.

Source: To'resk Tribe

We also don't yet know what "higher skill" in fishing means. Does it improve the chances of catching something so you catch more in less time? Does it allow you to catch bigger fish or wield more specialized rods for catching specific kinds of fish?

I've been watching the show Chasing Monsters lately and the most amazing fish are found in the tropics. If Elyria is anything at all like the real world, then fishermen may value/prefer certain climates over others for the kinds of fish they can catch.

5/26/2019 7:42:35 AM #6

The maps, when they come, will tell us more. If there are good fish resources in northern coastal waters, then some Brudvir will be fishermen.

Another hint is Snipehunter's story about the faithless Kypiq who "went to sea." There were Brudvir sea raiders in that story. A plausible reason for Brudvir sea raiders existing is that fishing is better using boats. People do not generally get good at making boats just to raid. They need another more prosaic reason first. The two most prominent possibilities are trade and fishing. Fishing is the more basic of the two, because people can fish even if they have nothing to trade.

5/26/2019 10:18:37 PM #7

Posted By Hieronymus at 2:28 PM - Sat May 25 2019

The To'resk are a tribe you should certainly consider if fishing is a profession you are most interested in. Fishing happens pretty much everywhere because there are fish pretty much everywhere, but you may be more likely to find skilled fisherman among the To'resk, particularly the most skilled ones.

Beneath the Industrille are the Mercandille. The Mercandille are made up of the wealthier families and those who have control over any local waterways or emergent land. They typically employ members of the Agradille to work their lands as farmers, fishers, or trappers.

Education among the To'resk tends to prioritize diplomacy, trade, and mercantilism above all else, with the lower classes additionally studying farming and aquaculture. As individual and family advancement is valued higher than community development, the To'resk tend to to keep family recipes and knowledge on how to fish, farm, find gold, or even climb the social ladder, as closely guarded secrets. As a result, there are few, if any, schools within the wetlands. Instead, parents teach their children, passing on recipes that would not be readily shared among the To'resk. To gain skills outside of your current family, your fastest route to success is to marry into a family that does possess the skills you're interested in learning, as information is generously shared through marital families.

Source: To'resk Tribe

We also don't yet know what "higher skill" in fishing means. Does it improve the chances of catching something so you catch more in less time? Does it allow you to catch bigger fish or wield more specialized rods for catching specific kinds of fish?

I've been watching the show Chasing Monsters lately and the most amazing fish are found in the tropics. If Elyria is anything at all like the real world, then fishermen may value/prefer certain climates over others for the kinds of fish they can catch.

I’m more interested in fishing as a sustainable food source for my town as Brudvir land is not really farmable. Hunting of course is an option but I’m wondering if fishing would be more dependable. Just trying to put some contingencies in place to keep my townsfolk from starving.

5/27/2019 2:29:46 AM #8

Posted By R3dh3rr1ng at 5:18 PM - Sun May 26 2019

I’m more interested in fishing as a sustainable food source for my town as Brudvir land is not really farmable. Hunting of course is an option but I’m wondering if fishing would be more dependable. Just trying to put some contingencies in place to keep my townsfolk from starving.

Hard to say which would be more dependable without having an actual game. If fish are not programmed with the same sort of sophistication as land-based animals (which have AI and respond to stimuli), then I'd guess fishing. You'd be able to sit in a boat or on a dock and OPC fish at your PC skill level.

5/28/2019 4:09:00 AM #9

Posted By Hieronymus at 7:29 PM - Sun May 26 2019

Posted By R3dh3rr1ng at 5:18 PM - Sun May 26 2019

Hard to say which would be more dependable without having an actual game. If fish are not programmed with the same sort of sophistication as land-based animals (which have AI and respond to stimuli), then I'd guess fishing. You'd be able to sit in a boat or on a dock and OPC fish at your PC skill level.

Ideally, fishing skill would involve more than just dipping baited hooks in the water and would involve some strategy requiring advanced knowledge and skill. It would be great if nets could be used to catch large numbers of fish, with a skill requirement in both using nets and locating schools of fish. The same goes for weirs, if tides are a thing or if some fish are migratory like salmon.

I'm getting a little bit more into skills than the Brudvir tribe, but what I've described is a way for Brudvir fishing villages to thrive on the presumably nutrient-rich sub-polar waters.