COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Banks a 'thing'?

While I am aware that this is also tagged to be survival I was wondering if there would be a bank system in place. Something where can open an 'account' with storage where mats/gear can stored per village and maybe deposit/retrieve currency from any village in your Kingdom?

Could even start with just a few slots and then thru spending currency unlock more space or open accounts in other villages?

1/2/2019 1:28:29 PM #1

I have no doubt player operated banks will be a thing. I am not sure if there will be an NPC system for it.

The player-run option for a local vault is much more feasible in this game due to the contract system, however I would urge you to keep in mind that the contract system pre-supposes that you are able to ENFORCE the terms of the contract so take any promises made with a grain of salt.

Friend Code: 1C7762

1/2/2019 1:41:27 PM #2

As you describe it, no banks don't exist. There is no magical teleport for your gear. If you need it you have to carry it or get someone else to do it for you.

1/2/2019 3:02:34 PM #3

So while a player ran 'bank' may be untrustworthy a branch bank ran by a player Kingdom should be safely enforced?

1/2/2019 3:03:53 PM #4

I think players or NPCs will be able to create banks just like in real life... using the contract system. 'You deposit a certain amount we get to invest it and you get a little of that interest'.

It would require some thinking with the contract system. But I think it will do-able.

But anything can happen, just like in real life. The bank could close down after a financial crisis, you can lose all your money... the owner of the bank can scam ppl out of money etc

Would depend on the kingdom/duchy/county laws in place that facilitate and give legitimacy to banks and lending groups

alt text

1/2/2019 3:10:20 PM #5

The bank organization itself will likely be player run.

Items physically exist within the world so they'd have to be secured in some way. If you cannot store your property within your own residence or are not confident of your ability to keep it secure, paying a small fee to an organization that can do so on your behalf makes sense.

Enforcement is again, based on contracts. Violation of a contract creates a sort of token that can create a bounty against the person that breaks to contract. But someone has to be capable of enforcing that bounty in order for it to happen.

I would assume most Dukes will make enforcing contracts a priority but there is no guarantee. I know my local count is going to make that a priority.

1/2/2019 3:15:45 PM #6

I'm going to add here that I expect most banks to be relatively small, local organizations. Say a highly secured warehouse at the country or ducal level.

I doubt trans-national banking organizations will be effectively run, at least in the sense of modern banking or item teleportation like in most MMOs.

1/2/2019 3:41:11 PM #7

I'm planning a banking guild that aims to provide a wide range of services within finance, consultation, information, contracts, insurance, and estate. But please understand that everything in Elyria will be player driven, so as GranDad1982 stated having bank accounts that can be accessed from everywhere is simply not possible.

Transfer of money by receipt isn't impossible however, but not necessarily as an account service. An example could be: 1. You pay in an amount plus a fee to Bank A and receive a receipt. 2. You can then use that receipt at Bank B for a fee where they pay you from their own reserves. 3. Bank B would then request a compensation from Bank A who would send the amount you paid them with a courier to Bank B.

This can be seen as a travel insurance for the client, hence the fees on both ends, but don't expect a modern accounting system.

Personally my bank will specialize in investments rather than accounting, to ensure your money keeps circulating and growing. The closest thing to a traditional bank account in that regard would be to invest in debtor contracts.

For regular materials and such I will recommend renting or acquiring a storage building though. If my bank ever offers a form of accounting service it'll be in the form of mini-vaults and safes where the client keeps the sole key to avoid trust issues. Those will primarily be ment for long-term storage of trinkets, documents, and other valuables though, not for short-term storage of materials, consumables, or currency. Thus expect deposits and withdrawals to be pretty expensive compared to the annual rental fee itself.

1/2/2019 4:07:05 PM #8

Well let's talk about a bank for currency only vs. a bank for goods. First and foremost, there will 100% be no accessing goods you deposit at separate locations, unless a storage place offers trade in/trade out of identical or similar items.

This fact alone means that currency only banks are really the furthest I think we will see multi-location access banking go. There is no reason for an organisation to accept an item and promise you it back at another location, unless it is an insanely common item, in which case it probably isn't worth much.

On top of that though, is the fact that you will need a contract to provide to the second location in order to withdraw your funds. So you are still walking around risking your funds anyway.

No. Single location protected storage will be a thing. Couriers are also a very important thing to mention. But there is not enough security, logistical capability, or really reason to bother making it work.

If you are new to the community, the Design Journals will answer a lot of your questions.

5/2/2019 2:15:23 AM #9

I'm looking for something along these lines as well. I've considered a number of different ways of underwriting loans within the game including real-state backed lines of credit, title backed lines of credit, commercial loans, bankers remittances etc. Almost any financial service you can offer irl could be offered in a game like this. If this is something you're still interested in doing hit me up, maybe we can help each other.

5/2/2019 4:07:01 AM #10

Posted By Emperor Spriggan at 07:02 AM - Wed Jan 02 2019

So while a player ran 'bank' may be untrustworthy a branch bank ran by a player Kingdom should be safely enforced?

Not necessarily. A monarch may decide that the needs of the domain override the rights of individuals.