COMMUNITY - FORUMS - TRIBES
Hrothi traits

HROTHI attributes & traits

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/20215/official-tribes-hrothi

Attribute Disposition

Mental > Social > Physical

Advantages

• Strong upper bodies - Less ENERGY drain when mining, digging and mending earth

• Durable - ? ? ?

• Underground senses - Always know what direction you are facing underground and roughly the time of day while underground.

• Short - This allows them to fit into spaces most races cannot fit into and their crouching movement is not reduced the same as other races

• Darkvision - Ability to see underground with little to no light sources

• Earthen (STONE) Crafting Expertise - Naturally adept at researching new crafting patterns using stone materials and has a reduced crafting time when using stone materials

Disadvantages

• Slow - Hrothi move slower than MOST races and are INCAPABLE of performing vaulting maneuvers.

• Short - Cannot reach objects as easily as other races. Larger mounts are UNUSABLE to a Hrothi. Limited in the MAXIMUM size of objects they can wield.

Dialogue

Some of these traits are somewhat unclear. It was also said by Caspian and Sozou previously that 'dark vision' was snuck into the writeup last second and doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense. I'm hoping this thread can help clarify some of the confusion and anticipation on Hrothi traits. With the help of some discussion and some contributions from a developer I'll edit this post with the updated information as a way of streamlining communication around Hrothi, which has been of increasing interest to the community lately.

Durable: what exactly is this? The Kypiq trait 'glass jaw' comes with an explanation but this Hrothi trait has absolutely no follow up or mention in the resulting writeup. Is it the inverse of the Kypiq Glass Jaw mechanic? Which would improve Hrothi resistance to impact and stun damage?

Short: the main thing under scrutiny in this trait is the 'crouch walk' movement speed not being reduced. Is this mechanic tied into the height of any tribe (meaning a Kypiq or very short Toresk could acquire the bonus movement speed while crouched)? Or is the Hrothi bloodline required to be granted this trait? Are there any other nuances to consider? Such as a Hrothi losing the trait if they become "too tall"?

Dark Vision: In the Tribes Q&A (on the official CoE YouTube) Caspian and Sozou both showed skepticism towards this trait, for a variety of reasons, including being difficult to explain via evolution through natural selection (a common issue with the Hrothi tribe) as well as the trait not really being discussed all that much before it was added to the official Hrothi writeup. Are there any updates on the state of this trait? Has it been replaced? Does Dark Vision provide benefits to seeing in all dark places (such as during the night) or does it only apply in tunnels?

Slow: being unable to vault and perform various actions seems like an enormous impact on basic gameplay and a potential issue for enjoyment of the tribe. So what happens when a Hrothi character is registered as pushing up against a fence and trying to run over it? Will the Hrothi attempt to climb the object instead of parkouring? Or will the Hrothi simply be stopped in his tracks?

Hrothi Strength: Caspian stopped into Discord a few weeks ago and dropped a hasty reply to EpicFace who was asking about the tribes attributes. Caspian replied by listing the tribes with highest strength predispositions and Hrothi were at the top for having a higher predisposition for growing strength than even the Janoa. Caspian stated very plainly that the list WAS NOT OFFICIAL and needed to be checked to be confirmed, but the idea of Hrothi being so strong surprised many of the people intending to play in the Hrothi tribe. Are the Hrothi really that strong, as to surpass a Janoa's predisposition to developing strength?

Thanks for reading, if this thread ends up being constructive I plan to dive even deeper into the Hrothi tribe, with more questions about their lore, history, behaviour, their Great Libraries and the subterranean societies they will build. Please consider adding a 'like' so the developers are more inclined to respond and educate us on this awesome tribe.

11/24/2018 3:21:58 PM #1

It's not the Dras, but it is still a nice post!

Posts like these will be great for newcomers too

11/24/2018 3:26:29 PM #2

Posted By Labbe at 01:21 AM - Sun Nov 25 2018

It's not the Dras, but it is still a nice post!

Posts like these will be great for newcomers too

I always keep a goal in mind to make my threads 'google friendly'. Its good to walk away from a post thinking you might passively help someone make a decision down the road. I know I've been stuck many times in the past, and without certain community made forum threads I would've stayed stuck. Hopefully posts like these can alleviate some of that while also helping our communication/dialogue around this tribe become more accurate.

I appreciate the support Labbe.

11/24/2018 4:07:54 PM #3

It's always beneficial to get more information regarding a tribe in an official manner. Specifically when Devs mentioned apprehension about things like "Darkvision". I look forward to both the continued conversation and the possible response from a Dev.

11/24/2018 4:17:26 PM #4

Good on you for putting this up, Sagan!

I would assume "Durable" does mean resistant to stuns.

The 'crouch walk' maybe applies to only Hrothi because they are strong and short. In my mind (just speculation, mind you), it would be like someone trying to do a Cossack Dance or something similar. It takes a lot of strength to stay crouched and move at the same speed as a regular walk.

Just throwing thoughts out there.

Would also love to know more about our brothers and sisters under the mountains!

11/24/2018 9:37:36 PM #5

Great questions

You hear the rumors of a new Clan to the north The, Iron Mist check out our Discord or APAC Grand Duchy of Kybourne Keep your eye's on the horizon for we are coming with Iron, through the mist we sail, silently for ever closer.

11/24/2018 9:55:56 PM #6

Hrothi are short and super strong but are limited in the size of items they can weild, intersting...

As for mounts, are they limited to goats and my little pony?

11/24/2018 10:48:14 PM #7

Posted By Wananga at 4:55 PM - Sat Nov 24 2018

Hrothi are short and super strong but are limited in the size of items they can weild, intersting...

No way man...

Armored War Pigs !

(with an Ozzie soundtrack of course)

Or maybe some kind of Elyrian Badger?

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

11/24/2018 10:49:30 PM #8

Posted By Wananga at 07:55 AM - Sun Nov 25 2018

It is quite interesting. They should be able to pack a lot of metal into small weapons for some nice effect. One of my favourite things about a Hrothi's gear limitations is that we'll probably get to share some gadgets and gear with Kypiq, which is hella awesome.

Thanks to the Goat Lord on Discord, I have a screenshot of Caspian saying Hrothi have goat mounts that are good at navigating the biome. I'm pretty damn excited for these. Especially if it means I can blast down a steep mountain with a troop of spider-goats and scare the piss out of would be invaders, only to blast back up the mountain like its nothing.

11/24/2018 11:02:59 PM #9

Spider-goats?

Who said anything about spider-goats?

Are you going to breed them yourself?

Are they going to look like Sleipnir?

More info please.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

11/24/2018 11:11:19 PM #10

Posted By kajoreh at 09:02 AM - Sun Nov 25 2018

Spider-goats?

Who said anything about spider-goats?

Its just a joke about them being able to scale terrain with ease. Ahaha.

#SpiderGoatsNotConfirmed

11/25/2018 7:57:10 AM #11

Agreed, please do this!

11/25/2018 1:41:10 PM #12

Short - This allows them to fit into spaces most races cannot fit into and their crouching movement is not reduced the same as other races

Short: the main thing under scrutiny in this trait is the 'crouch walk' movement speed not being reduced. Is this mechanic tied into the height of any tribe (meaning a Kypiq or very short Toresk could acquire the bonus movement speed while crouched)? Or is the Hrothi bloodline required to be granted this trait?

This is purely my speculation but this is how I understand this trait/description:

While hrothi have slower walk speed on their own, they do not need to crouch to get through low/small places, meaning, while other races might need to crouch and effectively reduce their speed by 50/60/randomnumber %, hrothi can just simply walk through, resulting in their walking speed being faster that crouching speed of others.

I am not sure that it will apply for short toresk, as in, I doubt such small size could be achieved (but you never know), but it does apply to kypiq as they're smaller or similar size to hrothi - such as, they do not need to crouch to get through the tunnels.

Next is, crouching speed, that is I believe tied to hrothi traits and most likely cannot be inherited by other tribes simply achieving same size. (Again taking random numbers) let's say when crouching, player reduces his base speed by 50%, this includes kypiq and other short players, hrothi however will reduce their base speed by only 30%. They will most likely end up still being slower than other races if everyone is crouching, but my guess is, this trait was made so that already slow hrothi won't come to standstill when crouching.

Are there any other nuances to consider? Such as a Hrothi losing the trait if they become "too tall"?

I think it was mentioned somewhere by Caspian, but yes, if you decide to mix your bloodline to get tall hrothi, you may hit the ceiling (bad pun) and end up being too tall for hrothi tunnels to walk in them so you will be forced to crouch as other tribes.

11/25/2018 5:26:53 PM #13

Because hybrids will come in future generations, it will be important to distinguish size based attributes from physiological ones. For example, a short Neran should have the same glass jaw as a tall kypiq when they are the same height and weight, unless the difference concerns more than size, e.g., pain tolerance, bone structure... If the trait is physiological, then a tall neran/kypiq hybrid may have glass jaw and a short one may not.

On the vision thing, best to keep it simple. Kypiq and hrothi both should see better in low light, inside or out.

11/25/2018 9:57:18 PM #14

I can't remember how to 'quote' anything, like from the OP, so I'm just gonna write it up:-

I'd think that hrothi wouldn't have darkvision, per se, but maybe a genetic predisposition toward good vision that adjusts quickly to dim light(rather than good vision that sees far), and a developed, rather than genetic, predisposition towards a sensitivity to bright light.

No, they don't have 'darkvision', but maybe they have a specific kind of good eyesight. Just don't know how it would work and what it would effect gameplay wise.

Although that makes an interesting point - will there be genetic deficiencies such as eyesight problems? Like a hrothi who has the 'racial trait', but still needs magnifiers to focus on small print.

And from a gaming perspective, would any eyesight issues translate to how the player views the game? Cause that could be weird.

Less penalty to using certain skills in dim lighting might work tho. So whoever doesn't have it can't really see well enough in the dark to train skills at their usual pace, compared to a hrothi who didn't notice the lantern wasn't lit.

I also have a query/suggestion about 'durable' - strong lungs and hairy noses? I'm not joking - working with stone dust can kill you with lung problems, and that's not even taking into account the tight, unventilated spaces. I'm thinking they have good lungs, and a good filtration system(noses), as well as inventing dust masks nice and early.

I really want those goat mounts. I'd farm them. Hell, I'd trade my Bloodline thoroughbred horse for a thoroughbred goat, no joke! Pack goats, racing goats, dairy goats...if anything, hrothi are lucky - you can't really breed horses for dairy, and cows generally don't move that fast with a rider, in a forward direction(seen a rodeo? Go on, try and ride a cow.).

I would seriously consider tweaking my plans for exploration(a smidge) if it meant I could take a breeding pair of goats along with me, and charge stud fees for the billy goat in every other village I went to. it might be a little slower taking care of two animals along the way rather than one mount at a time, but they'd pay my way for me. If there was such a thing as a portable cheesemaking kit, I'd never starve either. Though I might inadvertently invent 'dwarf cheese'(see Terry Pratchett's Discworld series and 'dwarf bread').

Hrothi better be good at climbing though - if they're too short to vault something, they better be able to take a tiny bit longer and just clamber over it. Otherwise I'd never want to dismount.

Another thought - does being good at stonework extend to grinding lenses out of crystal, or even glass? Most races with good vision would climb a tree and look around - a hrothi would climb a tree using pitons because their limbs can't reach the next branch, then use a telescope. Hrothi ingenuity - making up for having short legs since being proto-neran.

11/27/2018 5:36:23 AM #15

It'd be good to know a bit more about them in general. In some ways I think they're the hardest sell for a tribe because so much of their gameplay is behind quite a few unknown variables that can't be intuited as easily as, say, Kypiq.