COMMUNITY - FORUMS - TRIBES
Embracing the Beard

If at some point, my Hrothi embraces his inner beard, and lets it grow, as a Count or Baron is this likely to upset the citizens; if indeed such a thing is possible.

It seems logical that it would be possible, unless this feature is being disabled for risk of licensing clashes with other D&D groups?

Also, when we make statues, will 'bearding' them be possible, or even graffiti?

3/27/2019 11:30:53 PM #16

Hrothi are basically dwarves. Ruining the cosmetic appeal in a vain attempt to thwart associations isn't going to change public opinion on all the dwarf references already put on the Hrothi--living in mountains, craftsmanship, stature, stubbornness, strong morals, lore emphasis, and steadfastness in battle. Just call up Tolkien and ask for permission already.*

No one is fooled that the Hrothi aren't dwarves just because they shaved their faces. Wouldn't fool an elf prince. Wouldn't fool a beggar child.

The real question is--If they didn't want dwarves, why the Hrothi? And if the Hrothi are like dwarves, why is that a problem, exactly? Do we have dwarf haters on the project? Dwarves are great. Hrothi are Elyria's version of dwarves. Everyone likes them. No problems here.

Let players have a beard on their dwarves if they want them. Beardless dwarves are like shaved cats. Either the Hrothi should have been drastically different than dwarves or they should be allowed to have the semblances most winsome to the fantasy race they most resemble--dwarves. It's okay to fulfill the desires of the playerbase once in awhile.

Beards have been very popular in recent years. They have great potential for styles and significance on all the races in Elyria. #EmbracingtheBeard

*FYI: This isn't necessary since Tolkien didn't sue all the plagiarists back in the 1960s. But yes, most of D&D is plagiarized.

Map H --because one word "Nessie." Do you want an inland sea? Well, do ya?

3/28/2019 12:36:12 AM #17

So we've mentioned this before, but just to be explicit: The reason Hrothi are clean-shaven isn't physiological, it's cultural. Specifically, as the Shields of Virtue of the Vitori faith, the Hrothi have some opinions about what lifeway is best. They believe that as a people they are stronger together, and that it is virtuous to walk the middle path, neither throwing themselves fully into vice, nor pushing their love of virtue into fanaticism. The two ideals combine into a third: A harmonious society is a society that itself walks the middle path, standing fast and not indulging in anything too extreme in either direction. You can abstract this into a cultural desire for discipline and conformity from the individual. A good Hrothi has the self discipline not to be a slob, and desires to live in harmony with their fellows, not dressing or appearing in a way that makes them seem wild or iconoclastic.

Beards are, like their Brudvir neighbors, a bit wild and maybe even a little slovenly, especially in the presence of the work Hrothi do. A beard might keep you warm in the taiga, but in the heat of the forge, what value does it have? It collects crumbs and bits, it sheds. A beard is a sign that one lacks the discipline to groom themselves well, and doesn't value their fellows enough to stand with them in solidarity/conformity. It's not good when considered from the perspective of what they see as living a good life.

It's not that it's illegal to wear a beard or anything. But, it is that wearing a beard as a Hrothi is basically saying, "Yeah, well screw this and screw you" to what the Hrothi believe, and they'll react accordingly when they see a Hrothi with a beard.

So, no, even on an expedition, or in the middle of a war, a Hrothi - in their eyes - should have the discipline to see to their appearance, because to do otherwise is to slip out of the golden mean into the vice of sloth, but they aren't going to force you to see things their way or even fist-fight when they see the sweet Caspian on your chin, because that's just slipping out of the golden mean into the vice of wrath. But are they gonna assume you're a bad Hrothi? Well yeah, everything about your appearance screams it's true.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
3/28/2019 12:49:37 AM #18

Posted By Mandos at 12:44 PM - Sun Nov 18 2018

I'm sure most player hrothi will grow their beards out so you just need to convince the npcs. Hopefully if the king and nobility grow a beard it will influence hrothi culture

Imagine NPC's breaking into your home to shave off your beard

3/28/2019 1:44:52 AM #19

Posted By Snipehunter at 5:36 PM - Wed Mar 27 2019

A beard is a sign that one lacks the discipline to groom themselves well, and doesn't value their fellows enough to stand with them in solidarity/conformity.

Do you have any idea how many Pacific Northwestern Hipsterjacks you just insulted? :)

3/28/2019 7:34:39 AM #20

... A beard might keep you warm in the taiga, but in the heat of the forge, what value does it have? It collects crumbs and bits, it sheds. ...

... It catches fire.

3/28/2019 9:32:44 AM #21

"If your Hrothi got no beard you've got a Kypiq."

• The Hrothi Beard Appreciation Society ;)

In my opinion a Hrothi with a slightly burned beard from forging is a bit lacking in skill. He would rather improve his skill or wear protective leather over his beard rather than shaving it off.

A Hrothi with food in his beard should realise that he is eating like a pig which brings him dangerously close to the vice of gluttony.

3/29/2019 3:55:42 AM #22

So we've mentioned this before, but just to be explicit: The reason Hrothi are clean-shaven isn't physiological, it's cultural. Specifically, as the Shields of Virtue of the Vitori faith, the Hrothi have some opinions about what lifeway is best. They believe that as a people they are stronger together, and that it is virtuous to walk the middle path, neither throwing themselves fully into vice, nor pushing their love of virtue into fanaticism. The two ideals combine into a third: A harmonious society is a society that itself walks the middle path, standing fast and not indulging in anything too extreme in either direction. You can abstract this into a cultural desire for discipline and conformity from the individual. A good Hrothi has the self discipline not to be a slob, and desires to live in harmony with their fellows, not dressing or appearing in a way that makes them seem wild or iconoclastic.

Beards are, like their Brudvir neighbors, a bit wild and maybe even a little slovenly, especially in the presence of the work Hrothi do. A beard might keep you warm in the taiga, but in the heat of the forge, what value does it have? It collects crumbs and bits, it sheds. A beard is a sign that one lacks the discipline to groom themselves well, and doesn't value their fellows enough to stand with them in solidarity/conformity. It's not good when considered from the perspective of what they see as living a good life.

It's not that it's illegal to wear a beard or anything. But, it is that wearing a beard as a Hrothi is basically saying, "Yeah, well screw this and screw you" to what the Hrothi believe, and they'll react accordingly when they see a Hrothi with a beard.

So, no, even on an expedition, or in the middle of a war, a Hrothi - in their eyes - should have the discipline to see to their appearance, because to do otherwise is to slip out of the golden mean into the vice of sloth, but they aren't going to force you to see things their way or even fist-fight when they see the sweet Caspian on your chin, because that's just slipping out of the golden mean into the vice of wrath. But are they gonna assume you're a bad Hrothi? Well yeah, everything about your appearance screams it's true.

Hope that helps! :)

This post is causing a lot of angst in what will probably be a Hrothi community. I get that Hrothi should be disciplined, like the Romans, and that this description might try to suggest Stoic self-control and sociality or the pragmatic commitment to the golden mean of the Peripatetics. But it rather suggests a conformity that hits a wrong note. Sounds like a particularly puritanical group of short Waerd.

Personally, if I am Hrothi, I will have my character grow a beard like Marcus Aurelius as soon as I can. I get opposing the anarchist beards of the epicureans, or the animal beards of the cynics, but surely a good, well-groomed, lightly-oiled Peripatetic beard is fine, and a washed and trimmed Stoic beard should be fine, too.

But, I’m ok with a clean shaven Hrothi cultural starting position. I will use Epictetus’s argument for beards, “the true philosopher will only act according to reason or nature, rejecting the arbitrary conventions that guide the [beardless grooming] behavior of everyone else.”

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

3/29/2019 4:20:29 AM #23

I know of one kingdom where it wouldn't surprise me if they went full Taliban as far as beards were concerned ("if you can grow it, you can't mow it") - except that it would be totally out of keeping with the personality of the king.

• I'm big enough to forgive you. But I'm not stupid enough to trust you again. (A29D00/#9056)
8/15/2019 12:45:20 AM #24

I'm 100% convinced the cultural shunning of beards among the definitive 'dwarf' race was designed specifically to put players in conflict with the NPC's established values.

Conflict = story, after all.

Referral Code: 912EC9