COMMUNITY - FORUMS - ANGELICA GENERAL
The magic hunters guild

One of my favorite tropes in fantasy is an organization that fears/hates magic. These organizations will hunt down magic users or artifacts and kill or imprison them so that they do not become a threat to the world at large. Now I know in most settings, Elyria included, there are both good an evil magic users and that the total eradication of magic would probably be a bad thing, but some kind of control might not be a bad thing. Now I am not saying we should be enemies of magic, but maybe just police it a bit

Perhaps it would behoove us to form some kind of organization to seek out magic and its practitioners and register and track them (both the good an evil ones). Magic is after all an incredibly powerful tool, and knowing who can do what and what artifacts are where would help up to stay ahead of any potential threats (lichs, evil wizards, collectors of artifacts with ill intent).

Would anyone be interested in helping me form this group? Comment or message me

11/9/2018 11:55:41 PM #1

Only problem is that due to the rarity of talents and relics, being mythological or considered superstition at the beginning of the game, such an association is likely to be sitting around twiddling their thumbs throughout at least the first generation.

Having a group research and understand the triggers of how these powers begins to emerge into the world could be useful though, but then you'd be more on the opposite side of the coin from a skeptic.

11/10/2018 5:02:26 AM #2

This could be the ultimate goldbrick sinecure, if you can convince a domain to fund it.

11/10/2018 5:40:28 AM #3

Posted By ShadowTani at 6:55 PM - Fri Nov 09 2018

Only problem is that due to the rarity of talents and relics, being mythological or considered superstition at the beginning of the game, such an association is likely to be sitting around twiddling their thumbs throughout at least the first generation.

Having a group research and understand the triggers of how these powers begins to emerge into the world could be useful though, but then you'd be more on the opposite side of the coin from a skeptic.

So what I was kind of thinking for the first generation (or maybe more) I would mostly be researching what magic is and how it works. Maybe go out and interview a few magic users or people with artifacts. Basically have it start with just me (and maybe a few others if they want) and build up a whole network of people doing research and recording magical things. Gotta start small, but who knows, it could be like a fantasy MUFON lol

11/10/2018 6:17:05 AM #4

Let me start by saying I am a fan of the guild idea, and as someone who will be a practitioner of science, police the magic up! Doesnt affect me.

That being said though I want to underscore something ShadowTani said just so you don't go into the game with false ideas.
Magic is a myth. If you ask a dev, their answer will be it doesnt exist.
If you dig deeper you will find hints and clues, but it will not be in the game at launch

Probably not even the first few generations even, and when it does show itself it wont be common enough to be policed up.

We arent talking magic communities so much as we are talking a single extraordinary person bestowed with magic somehow.

TLDR. Do not go into the game expecting to find magic at all ever. It is that rare.

11/10/2018 7:53:58 AM #5

I am diametrically opposed to this organization, or others conceptually similar. Magic will be so rare that if it isn't fostered but instead persecuted it's likely we won't end up seeing players with it at all on our server, which would be quite a shame. Hunting down magic users would just be wasteful, frankly.

If you can research how magic works, or how some byproduct of magic works, we'll undoubtedly be able to achieve things in the game we never could have otherwise. Even for non-magic users, which will be most of us.

I'll also say that I usually play a mage if given the option to do so, so I'm quite sympathetic to the plights of mages, and I always hate the persecution of mages. It's ignorant and intolerant and, at least for me, mirrors some of the horrors of history.

Though if you were to ask if it makes for good RP or not... I'm not sure. A lot of game producers certainly seem to think so. Personally I think I'm of the mindset that it's a bit overdone. You can see this in game franchises like Witcher and Dragon Age. We even see pseudo situations in stuff like X-Men, and the Marvel universe - Agents of Shield, Supergirl, etc.

Taking Dragon Age as a reference point... I think a situation like the Tevinter Imperium would be much more interesting. Though it also certainly makes sense that in a world perspective that there could be a kingdom or empire of mages, while mages might be persecuted and/or controlled in other kingdoms. It's actually rather mild how mages are persecuted and controlled in Ferelden compared to say Par Vollen.

Caspian has actually dished out quite a lot of info on magic over the years. I won't share some of the hints I've received that Caspian probably wouldn't want posted on the forums, but I can share this:

Out of character - there is magick in Elyria. It's rare, and powerful. It is not something that can be attained. It's something granted by the story engine. There's no quest you can go on to earn magick. It's not a character-building mechanic. It's a story-building mechanic. Most people will not even discover they have magick. And those who do may decide not to use it.

11/10/2018 3:48:42 PM #6

Yeah I understand it will be quite rare. I guess the direction I was trying to go with this is that it might be fun and interesting for the story as whole. Purely as a story idea (I know the game mechanics might not support it) I think it would be fun to play the crazy guy always warning people about the dangers of magic and always have people saying that he is crazy and magic isn't real and then a lich shows up and he is like oh see I told you so. Or alternative he could become the villain by either hunting mages, or being corrupted by the secrets or artifacts found. I just think it might be fun addition to the story at large.

11/10/2018 4:08:13 PM #7

The Elyrian x-files. lol

Though I could imagine some of the kingdoms sending people out to find things like that, I doubt it would be something you could ever simply try to do, as a grassroots organization.

I also think that it wouldn't even be worth it until something magical actually happens. You need a magic event, like an artifact being found or a mage accidentally revealing themselves, to have something to start from. Once that happens, it's off to the races for any kingdom or group to investigate and find the thing or object first and bring it/them home. It will be a scramble to figure out what happened, what did it, where did it go, and how do we get to it before everyone else does.

Going out and saying "imma find majik" just isn't going to work without any leads.

11/10/2018 6:43:05 PM #8

You could hunt people you suspect are using magic. Whether they are or aren't could be immaterial. :p

Take the Children of Light from Wheel of Time series. You don't even have to be a channeler (magic user) or darkfriend (evil) to have them take you out. Or take actual real life witch hunters. Magic isn't real, but many died anyway. Both organizations applied pressure with the threat of accusations, too. Go execute that lonely woodland herbalist lady! She's obviously a witch.

11/10/2018 8:35:32 PM #9

Posted By TheAmazingZ at 09:48 AM - Sat Nov 10 2018

Yeah I understand it will be quite rare. I guess the direction I was trying to go with this is that it might be fun and interesting for the story as whole. Purely as a story idea (I know the game mechanics might not support it) I think it would be fun to play the crazy guy always warning people about the dangers of magic and always have people saying that he is crazy and magic isn't real and then a lich shows up and he is like oh see I told you so. I just think it might be fun addition to the story at large.

That would be quite amusing lol.

11/10/2018 8:47:00 PM #10

Future mayor of Salem? When you're ready for that political life, witch hunting and trials and burnings at the stake can be your political platform. Those female magic users are just the worst!

11/17/2018 3:13:03 AM #11

I like this idea. Who knows what those magical miscreants could be possible of.

Mighty gear for the Mighty Menn

11/17/2018 2:38:09 PM #12

From a non-biased perspective, I wish you luck with this venture. I think it could definitely be a solid story building kind of organization. Of course there will be lots of folks in game that detest you and what you do but that's the name of the game. If you are doing something big in this game then you are making an enemy out of someone, even in business.

Personally I am with the folks that want that want to see magic found, researched and understood eventually. I understand though that there will be people in game opposed to that, whether its you or someone else running such an organization. So if that is what you want to be part of then best of luck to you in that venture.

11/17/2018 8:32:51 PM #13

Yeah I definitely think that i would get some hate for being anti magic, but in a game like this it might be fun to play the villain. I dont think i would be able to (by myself or with the help of others) create a total ban on magic and I too would like to see magical research, but I could maybe get control of a small area or a couple of towns. That way I can still see what happens with magical research and still play the villain in my little corner of the world.

11/17/2018 8:59:06 PM #14

Well I can speak with some authority on the subject, it can be a whole lot of fun to play the villain.

11/17/2018 9:54:20 PM #15

A person who hunts warlocs and witches is not a villian. They are a templar. Funny thing about good and bad, it depends who you are talking to. For me it is bad that people want to tax people. It is good for them because the money is being used for much needed things like roads and guards. So your magic hunting doesn't have to be evil, and would be much funner if you used the name of a religion to do it. I thumbs up to everyone mage or anti mage in this post.

The nicest pig in the world and a little cute.