COMMUNITY - FORUMS - TRIBES
Janoa and their Bushido lines

This question is specifically for Caspian, Snipe or Sozou if they can take a minute to help me scratch a year long itch.

In the Official Janoa writeup https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/20458/official-tribes-janoa

It states under section 'Sociology', subsection 'Education':

"... While incredibly rare, there are times in which a child is born not bearing the marks of their parents. These individuals are shunned from engaging in The Hunt and, many times, become gatherers or alchemists."

This has been a particularly interesting line in the Janoa writeup for me (a huge Janoa fan). Chronicles is boasting some pretty sweet plans in terms of what biological traits we can breed over, influence and otherwise interact with as players designing an optimal character.

So (2 questions, first one is a 2 parter):

1) Will we actually be able to breed with other Janoa till we randomly birth a stripeless Janoa? And can we as players then choose to try to continue the stripeless family line by breeding with other stripeless (does stripelessness get inherited)?

2) Can we breed with other tribes (perhaps the Janoa were boinking Toresk back in history on the down low) to replace the Bushido Lines (with my contract partners tribes skin tone/appearance) and essentially birth a Janoa with no stripes?

9/14/2018 9:44:05 PM #1

As you know I love Janoa as much and a stripeless one would not be considered like a Dras for example and sent away?

9/14/2018 9:46:44 PM #2

Well a Dras is much more (and much less) than just a stripeless Janoa. Dras have immune systems and traits that have diverged from Janoa and vice versa.

A Janoa without stripes is a Janoa in all respects, not a Dras.

As to whether or not they will be shunned, that can only be answered if we can first confirm Stripeless exist.

9/14/2018 10:04:22 PM #3

When you say "Bushido lines" do you mean "Blaschko lines"?

I am not sure it will be possible to "breed" until a stripeless Janoan is born, unless perhaps you have successfully set up a harem, because you need a child contract to produce a baby and I don't think it will be that easy to get a child contract with an NPC, let only multiple NPC's as it requires significant effort to "woo" a single NPC and who knows what the AI will do regarding polyamory or a cheating partner.

Sure, if you have a lot of Janoan PC friends it will help, but if stripeless is rare, I think the odds are against you and it may turn out to be a pointless exercise, much like searching for magic in the world.

You'd probably have to simply be one of the luckly few to randomly have such a baby, much like the magic talent, except at least this one will be obvious.

9/14/2018 11:17:22 PM #4

I'm not really sure what youre discussing with the harem part. I'm more interested in if stripeless Janoa exist period.

Yeah that was a typo, I'm super tired and it was a quick post. Cheers

9/15/2018 3:36:36 AM #5

Yes, it's pretty rare, but if two Janoa with the right genetics sign a child contract, a stripeless Janoa will result. The stripeless trait will then surface, or more accurately the striped trait will fail to surface, and depending on that descendants own partners and their children, that might carry down the line. The stripeless aren't well regarded by other Janoa, though. It's not considered a positive trait.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
9/15/2018 4:57:37 AM #6

Posted By Snipehunter at 04:36 AM - Sat Sep 15 2018

Yes, it's pretty rare, but if two Janoa with the right genetics sign a child contract, a stripeless Janoa will result. The stripeless trait will then surface, or more accurately the striped trait will fail to surface, and depending on that descendants own partners and their children, that might carry down the line. The stripeless aren't well regarded by other Janoa, though. It's not considered a positive trait.

Told you Sagan Mate lol. If you are born without stripe, I will borrow you a black marker 😂. Or every Janoa around you will consider the fact to add you to their Totem 🗿.

9/16/2018 12:23:01 AM #7

Being an outcast of the Janoa comes with its upsides! Thank you very much for the replies everyone. Cheers for the info Snipe!

The 'Wind Scarred' clan will now begin to revisit its lore. Perhaps one day the Janoa will find a way to coexist with Elyria without relying on conflict to increase their standing. And hopefully I can be part of that history in Oceanus.

9/16/2018 3:07:58 PM #8

Once in game will be up to us to change the lore and how tribes will coexist with the world.

9/17/2018 1:21:52 PM #9

Posted By Snipehunter at 8:36 PM - Fri Sep 14 2018

The stripeless aren't well regarded by other Janoa, though. It's not considered a positive trait.

omfg Snipe tell me you guys are thinking going full crusader kings 2 with traits up in COE! I would love to see little quibs like this either due to accomplishments or things we uncover...such as a character being dumb, take a hit in intelligence. It would make selecting heirs and family lines that much deeper and if you have some siblings with an ambitious trait come to find they may be planning to poison your soup a little more then someone far away for your throne.

If not then how will an AI be able to respond to if a janoa is stripeless or not? Just have it somewhere in the code saying race//janoa//stripe=no ?

Friend code: 2D42A1

9/18/2018 2:47:19 PM #10

Posted By Arthos at 08:21 AM - Mon Sep 17 2018

Posted By Snipehunter at 8:36 PM - Fri Sep 14 2018

The stripeless aren't well regarded by other Janoa, though. It's not considered a positive trait.

omfg Snipe tell me you guys are thinking going full crusader kings 2 with traits up in COE! I would love to see little quibs like this either due to accomplishments or things we uncover...such as a character being dumb, take a hit in intelligence. It would make selecting heirs and family lines that much deeper and if you have some siblings with an ambitious trait come to find they may be planning to poison your soup a little more then someone far away for your throne.

If not then how will an AI be able to respond to if a janoa is stripeless or not? Just have it somewhere in the code saying race//janoa//stripe=no ?

If it's a customization option, then it would already be coded. They already need to react to your overall tribe. Having the AI respond to a more specific visual trait, isn't actually a stretch.

It sounds like you are asking for random debuffs with a "dumb" trait. That is a terrible idea.

9/21/2018 8:44:20 PM #11

I wonder if the players would change the social dynamic with the janoans to the stripeless being held more highly/being a desired trait. wonder how changes like this would change AI behaviour down the line(if enough players start valuing the stripeless trait and breeding it, would the devs recode the AI into stripelessness being desired?.... or would thatnot change even if the stripeless janoans become the majority)

alt text

10/1/2018 2:49:48 AM #12

The reason why stripeless janoa is considered an undesired trait is because in janoa's home biome, the lack of camouflage given by the stripes makes them less effective in survival/hunting.

This also makes them stand out anywhere else so I can see a stripeless janoa being accepted in other lands, such as neran lands, as guards/mercenaries but not much anything else.

Menial mental attributes and sub-par social would make a janoa outside of the jungle hindered in comparison.

10/1/2018 1:53:51 PM #13

Absolutely correct on all accounts, ahaha.

The Jungle isn't for all of us.